The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Oct 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #7,336 of 9,165
Hey,

Given the output impedance of the AK100 being 22ohm, how much would you think a pair of 32ohm iem's be effected by this?
I am thinking about picking up a pair of in ears, been looking for ones with shallow canal and I think I have found a pair that might work, but just wanting to clarify the impedance issue.

I tried the tralucent t1 and that thing sounded amazing with the ak100, however sadly it seemed a little lacing in grunt to power my little Mad Dogs.
In saying that it was so close that I almost settled on it.  Kind of wish I had now I am looking at a pair of in ears, alas I got the pb2 iBasso.
Much more grunt for the MadDogs and I have found a config that I am quite pleased with sound wise, however I really dont want ot have to open it up to change the gain every time I go to work/get to work and leave again ahha.

Scott

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #7,337 of 9,165
  Hey,

Given the output impedance of the AK100 being 22ohm, how much would you think a pair of 32ohm iem's be effected by this?
I am thinking about picking up a pair of in ears, been looking for ones with shallow canal and I think I have found a pair that might work, but just wanting to clarify the impedance issue.

I tried the tralucent t1 and that thing sounded amazing with the ak100, however sadly it seemed a little lacing in grunt to power my little Mad Dogs.
In saying that it was so close that I almost settled on it.  Kind of wish I had now I am looking at a pair of in ears, alas I got the pb2 iBasso.
Much more grunt for the MadDogs and I have found a config that I am quite pleased with sound wise, however I really dont want ot have to open it up to change the gain every time I go to work/get to work and leave again ahha.

Scott

It would depend on the impedance curve. Impedance varies from drivers to driver, so it causes certain frequency to be loud. Some iems with 32ohm have flat curve, so they aren't affect by the impedance, but some are. We really can't tell you how it's going to affect general 32ohm iem.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #7,338 of 9,165
  It would depend on the impedance curve. Impedance varies from drivers to driver, so it causes certain frequency to be loud. Some iems with 32ohm have flat curve, so they aren't affect by the impedance, but some are. We really can't tell you how it's going to affect general 32ohm iem.

Cool,

I wasn't sure.
I would RWA Mod it but I am funny about sending it given the battery issues etc through customs.
I cant really afford to take the hit on it by selling 2nd hand and buying a RWA mod direct either.
DANG IT :p

SCott

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #7,339 of 9,165
  Hey,

Scott

It depends i guess. like kimvictor has said earlier.

My personal experience with AK100 has been extremely positive, with my Merlin and Toxic Scorpion cable combo (btw this combo sounds better than with a modded AK100 imo). So far, nothing got pass this setup. And this has probably got to do with synergy. In other words, if you choose not to do the mod, then you would need take quite some time to find the right one to pair with the AK100. Else, get the modded version.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #7,341 of 9,165
  Cool,

I wasn't sure.
I would RWA Mod it but I am funny about sending it given the battery issues etc through customs.
I cant really afford to take the hit on it by selling 2nd hand and buying a RWA mod direct either.
DANG IT :p

SCott

Just saying this, but UERM looses its treble due to it's weird impedance curve, but you can EQ most of the treble back through AK100's EQ.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #7,342 of 9,165
Thanks for the advice guys.
I was just concerned After trying some amperiors on my AK. Don't know if it was the impedance issue or whether they require some serious burn in but they were a muddy but glary mess.
I didn't have my phone on me so I could try another source.
Fingers crossed these in ears sound OK.

:)

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #7,343 of 9,165
Thanks for the advice guys.
I was just concerned After trying some amperiors on my AK. Don't know if it was the impedance issue or whether they require some serious burn in but they were a muddy but glary mess.
I didn't have my phone on me so I could try another source.
Fingers crossed these in ears sound OK.

smily_headphones1.gif

SIngle driver hps should have no problem unless they require significant power. Good luck!

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #7,346 of 9,165
when iRiver plans to address CUE list issue unreadable and issue FW update for AK100?

iRiver guys, please make read playback from cue in update and you will have me as your customer forever !!! 
gs1000.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #7,349 of 9,165
Hi guys,

I am using a v6 stage and was pretty much going to pull the trigger on dx50. However I saw a rather nicely priced ak100 in the second hand market. Do you think they are a good pairing if I do not intend to use a amp? Or should I just go for dx50 as its widely accepted that it is one of the best bang for buck DAP in the market now.

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #7,350 of 9,165
Hi guys, I have been trying to add album art tags to AIFF files via iriver plus 4 and another id tagging software (I think its called 'tagrename'), to my ak100 but not having much luck. Anyone had any successes with this? Really enjoying this player.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back