The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Sep 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #7,127 of 9,165
Sep 16, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #7,130 of 9,165
  Does anyone know whether the Astell&Kern AK100 MKII supports the English language?

according to Sasaki yes, it's just like the stock AK100...

on a side note, tried the stock AK100 with 1964 Ears V6 and it does very well despite being 22ohms. Didn't hear any noticeable differences.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #7,131 of 9,165

on a side note, tried the stock AK100 with 1964 Ears V6 and it does very well despite being 22ohms. Didn't hear any noticeable differences.

i agree, however, i heard the V6-Stage and to me, it had a significant difference.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #7,132 of 9,165

i agree, however, i heard the V6-Stage and to me, it had a significant difference.

You tried with the normal V6 before? Did you find any difference with the stock AK100 compared to other DAPs?

Maybe because the Stage version graph is not linear since it has more emphasis on the bass? Heard the stock AK100 affects multi drivers especially when the graph isn't linear? Although i haven't seen the graph for the normal V6 version to come to that conclusion though.

In what way does the V6-Stage on stock AK100 differs significantly?

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #7,133 of 9,165

You tried with the normal V6 before? Did you find any difference with the stock AK100 compared to other DAPs?

Maybe because the Stage version graph is not linear since it has more emphasis on the bass? Heard the stock AK100 affects multi drivers especially when the graph isn't linear? Although i haven't seen the graph for the normal V6 version to come to that conclusion though.

In what way does the V6-Stage on stock AK100 differs significantly?

Yeap, heard the normal V6. and to negate the 22ohm from the AK100, i paired the AK100 to Fiio E12 amp. differences arent noticeable based on a roughly 10~15mins audition. *I actually like the V6 more, not because of the indifferences but the musicality and staging*

But when stock ak100 paired with V6-Stage, it sounded as if it has bass roll-off, mid bass is a lil' too strong, and the mids are veiled and recessed, and the highs are totally missing. But when the Fiio E12 is between the two, V6-stage came to life. the bass are much more punchy, less mid bass bump, mids are much more forwarded and highs are slightly less extended when compared to the V6.

imo, i feel that 1964 is trying to achieve a much more bassy and intimate sounding of the V6, hence the V6-Stage.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #7,134 of 9,165

Yeap, heard the normal V6. and to negate the 22ohm from the AK100, i paired the AK100 to Fiio E12 amp. differences arent noticeable based on a roughly 10~15mins audition. *I actually like the V6 more, not because of the indifferences but the musicality and staging*

But when stock ak100 paired with V6-Stage, it sounded as if it has bass roll-off, mid bass is a lil' too strong, and the mids are veiled and recessed, and the highs are totally missing. But when the Fiio E12 is between the two, V6-stage came to life. the bass are much more punchy, less mid bass bump, mids are much more forwarded and highs are slightly less extended when compared to the V6.

imo, i feel that 1964 is trying to achieve a much more bassy and intimate sounding of the V6, hence the V6-Stage.

Kind of glad the 22ohm didn't affect the V6 as i was thinking of getting the stock one and save up from getting either the Mk2 or RWAK.

you prefer the staging on the V6? The Stage was supposed to have a better and wider staging though. Although i haven't heard the V-6S, i prefer the balance and fairly neutral sound from the normal V6.. so i'm gonna hold out from the V6-S instead. V6 to me already has sufficient bass =)

Have you heard the JH13 pro freqphase? Am curious how it fairs against the V6.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #7,135 of 9,165

Kind of glad the 22ohm didn't affect the V6 as i was thinking of getting the stock one and save up from getting either the Mk2 or RWAK.

you prefer the staging on the V6? The Stage was supposed to have a better and wider staging though. Although i haven't heard the V-6S, i prefer the balance and fairly neutral sound from the normal V6.. so i'm gonna hold out from the V6-S instead. V6 to me already has sufficient bass =)

Have you heard the JH13 pro freqphase? Am curious how it fairs against the V6.

Yes I have heard and have the honor to have JH himself to put the JH13FP into my ears!

Oh well, i personally felt that the old JH13 is still better than the FP model, but that's just me i guess.

What i like about the JH13FP = much more clean, clearer, very fast, clinical, highs are well extended and lows are pretty decent. Staging and imaging is good along with superb instrument separation. in fact, i feel like JH13FP is the CIEM for studio monitoring purposes. It basically throws everything to you like how it should suppose to sound without any coloration imo.

What i don't like about JH13FP = far too aggressive and "furious" to my liking. extremely flat and linear-like. short listening period is tolerable, but after, say 1 hour, i would probably get a headache.

What i like about V6 = clean, clear, and decently fast, highs are smooth and slightly coloration to the mids with a hint of sweetness. lows are decent and neutral-like. staging is slightly smaller than 13FP but imaging could be either near or on par with 13FP. (i feel that V6 is the cheaper version of the Unique Melody Miracles, with very little compromise here and there).

What i dislike about V6 = sub lows (23hz or less) are abit unstable in its decay and resonance. Mids are a bit thin to my liking, but i'm still pretty OK with it. Instrument separation isn't as good.

I hope this helps.

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #7,136 of 9,165
Fwiw advancedmp3players.co.uk have a 15% off rightt now on this player.  Bringing it down to a bargainous £483!

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #7,137 of 9,165
Yes I have heard and have the honor to have JH himself to put the JH13FP into my ears!

Oh well, i personally felt that the old JH13 is still better than the FP model, but that's just me i guess.

What i like about the JH13FP = much more clean, clearer, very fast, clinical, highs are well extended and lows are pretty decent. Staging and imaging is good along with superb instrument separation. in fact, i feel like JH13FP is the CIEM for studio monitoring purposes. It basically throws everything to you like how it should suppose to sound without any coloration imo.

What i don't like about JH13FP = far too aggressive and "furious" to my liking. extremely flat and linear-like. short listening period is tolerable, but after, say 1 hour, i would probably get a headache.

What i like about V6 = clean, clear, and decently fast, highs are smooth and slightly coloration to the mids with a hint of sweetness. lows are decent and neutral-like. staging is slightly smaller than 13FP but imaging could be either near or on par with 13FP. (i feel that V6 is the cheaper version of the Unique Melody Miracles, with very little compromise here and there).

What i dislike about V6 = sub lows (23hz or less) are abit unstable in its decay and resonance. Mids are a bit thin to my liking, but i'm still pretty OK with it. Instrument separation isn't as good.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback, will probably stick with the V6 for a long while then :)

Fwiw advancedmp3players.co.uk have a 15% off rightt now on this player.  Bringing it down to a bargainous £483!

That's still bloody expensive though. That 'discounted' price is still more expensive than the retail price in my country, and my country's retail price is still more expensive than the US retail price lol.
UK price for the AKs are mad, you might as well get it off ebay for around £420

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #7,138 of 9,165

Thanks. I've got a response from the (Japanese) iRiver support center and they said that the new player supports the English language.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #7,139 of 9,165
  Thanks. I've got a response from the (Japanese) iRiver support center and they said that the new player supports the English language.

are you getting it?

btw anyone uses the ak100 with pelican 1010 case? Am curious if it'll fit both the player and a custom.. i tried it with just the player and it hardly looks like enough space to fit a custom in it though.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #7,140 of 9,165
Lol, I can't interpret your phrase.
a. No, I don't speak Japanese and I use Google Translate. The English isn't my first language too.
b. Yes, I'll probably buy the second version of the AK100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back