The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #5,476 of 9,165
I wasn't even able to get up to 5 on a good day, and my FT334 isn't the most power hungry iem already. This, plus the UI lag, drove me to AK100

I know this is the AK100 thread but I just want to say that my DX100 is consistently giving me about 7hrs of usage.

What is even more important to me is that the scrolling on the DX100 is so much better(smoother and faster) than the AK100. On my AK100, I struggle to scroll down or up when looking for my favourite album. It doesn't help that the screen size is smaller than the DX100. Even my friend who recently tried my AK100 also commented on the unresponsive screen of the DAP. I hope the AK120 has a more sensitive screen.

I think the unresponsive screen is much due to the FW. I think running the russian FW pretty much solves this. Good enough for me anyway and I was horrified by the 1.33 FW coming from a world of apples.

May 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #5,477 of 9,165
Hi all,

Is there an alternative to the "official" leather case in regards to protecting the AK100? $50 for a case seems a bit silly. Tried searching the thread for case, unfortunately realized that due to the multiple meanins, was not getting the case search I wanted.

Thanks. 

May 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #5,478 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi all,

Is there an alternative to the "official" leather case in regards to protecting the AK100? $50 for a case seems a bit silly. Tried searching the thread for case, unfortunately realized that due to the multiple meanins, was not getting the case search I wanted.

Thanks. 

I don't have an answer, but I will say I know how you feel.  I certainly hesitated spending $50 as well until just recently after having had it fall to pavement TWICE thought that a $50 investment was better than losing out on my original $950.

It does fit nice and seems like it offers fairly good protection - the only exception being the very top of the unit which still remains bare.

May 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #5,479 of 9,165
Hi all,

I see a lot impressions for the AK100 paired with IEMs and small headphones. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see much impressions with full size headphones. I know the AK100 is a portable player, and few people use full size headphones with it. I mainly listen to my stock AK100 at home paired with Sennheiser HD800's. I find the sound is just amazing.

Is there anybody else using that combo? Would there be a better pair of headphones to be used with the stock AK100?

Thanks.

May 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #5,480 of 9,165
YOUPIIII !    Finally managed to revert to genuine 1.33 by reloading the 1.33 HEX file to the AK100 after using IronLung's method.  THANKS a lot IronLung's.

Now, I have again the "old" iRIVER UI 
mad.gif
  I miss the "Home" button, and the nicer screens, but.... i may stay on the safe side for a while : waiting for the next "official" firmware upgrade or... a new debugged Rusian version.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #5,481 of 9,165
Quote:
I guess so, yeah there is a different op amp. Well let's not ruin the AK100 thread but I can suggest you to check the HDP R10 appreciation thread I am sure you can find more information there which gives answers to your questions. I remember reading, someone said, as a standalone DAP, HDP R10 is slightly better than DX100 but if you gonna use it with an amp, take DX100, it gives you a better result.

Honestly, I wouldn't use such a big device with an external amp 
happy_face1.gif
 If Hibino really does what they promised (fixing the pop sound and delay), I think I am gonna pull the trigger for that, because HDP R10 is as good as DX100, if not better and we already know DX100 is an exceptional DAP with supreme abilities.

lol I absolutely loved the DX100 with the T1 amp. That was my reference sound concerning portability. If I could have gotten that sound in a small device I'd have been set long ago.

May 31, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #5,482 of 9,165
Quote:
lol I absolutely loved the DX100 with the T1 amp. That was my reference sound concerning portability. If I could have gotten that sound in a small device I'd have been set long ago.

Well, maybe not in the early times but for a little bit later on, I can settle on it but as you mentioned it is quite bulky set. Btw, I saw you have your AK120 now, what do you say about it, can it beat DX100 + T1?

May 31, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #5,483 of 9,165
Quote:
Well, maybe not in the early times but for a little bit later on, I can settle on it but as you mentioned it is quite bulky set. Btw, I saw you have your AK120 now, what do you say about it, can it beat DX100 + T1?

That is hard to say. It will really depend on your gear/synergy and of course preferences. I would definitely not take the DX100/T1 combo over what I have now taking into consideration the conveniences I have in portability, battery life, UI. Pretty much the overall ease of use is a huge plus on the iRiver. I feel the sound quality of the AK120 is on par with the DX100 that is for sure. The DX100 is more in the direction of a reference sound though. The AK120 is a little warmer IMO. Somewhere between a neutral/warm sound. I actually prefer this type of sound signature so YMMV. Also keep in mind I haven't used the AK120 extensively yet so things may get even better.

May 31, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #5,484 of 9,165
I agree on huge plus but it comes with huge price. I love the build quality and portability of AK100/120 but their pricing is, well open to discussion let's say. I am really trying not to get it with that price so looking for alternatives like HDP R10 or upcoming FiiO X5 or maybe ibasso DX50. However so far, pretty much everything is positive about AK120. That price is quite a killer for my student wallet so I should stay on the light side of the power.

May 31, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #5,485 of 9,165
Quote:
I agree on huge plus but it comes with huge price. I love the build quality and portability of AK100/120 but their pricing is, well open to discussion let's say. I am really trying not to get it with that price so looking for alternatives like HDP R10 or upcoming FiiO X5 or maybe ibasso DX50. However so far, pretty much everything is positive about AK120. That price is quite a killer for my student wallet so I should stay on the light side of the power.

Well I can't argue with you there. It is not cheap.... To be quite frank iRiver would make a lot more money if they lowered it down in pricing to compete with the DX100 and 901. I would even wager they'd overtake the market due to their device having such a good UI, sound quality, portability, battery life & dual SD slots all in one. This way you'd appeal to both the audiophiles and those who are starting to get into this hobby and want to upgrade over an apple product.

May 31, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #5,486 of 9,165
Quote:
Well I can't argue with you there. It is not cheap.... To be quite frank iRiver would make a lot more money if they lowered it down in pricing to compete with the DX100 and 901. I would even wager they'd overtake the market due to their device having such a good UI, sound quality, portability, battery life & dual SD slots all in one. This way you'd appeal to both the audiophiles and those who are starting to get into this hobby and want to upgrade over an apple product.

If it has a price of a DX100 or HM901, they would sell it like cupcakes to all music lovers who wants 1 device to rule them all. I think under 1k would be acceptible around 800 900 it would be darn perfect.

What about pairing with an amp? Maybe like DX100+T1, you can find something magical like that?

May 31, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #5,487 of 9,165
Quote:
If it has a price of a DX100 or HM901, they would sell it like cupcakes to all music lovers who wants 1 device to rule them all. I think under 1k would be acceptible around 800 900 it would be darn perfect.

What about pairing with an amp? Maybe like DX100+T1, you can find something magical like that?

Amber I'd rather not have to pair my gear to an amp lol. My T1 is actually broken right now so I'm waiting for a replacement. I'll post impressions on how I feel once I get that in. Well I guess I could try it out of the Triad lol. But I'm really enjoying it straight from the HO which for me is ideal :). The problem with the DX100 was that I was not a big fan of its amp section. I mean it is technically very good. But I didn't like how it sounded for the most part and I much preferred the sound from its LO to the T1. But with the AK120 I actually like how it sounds from the HO :). I had these same experiences with the Hifiman 601 and the Sflo2. I was always using their LOs with an amp because I did not like their amp sections :p.

May 31, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #5,488 of 9,165
Quote:
Amber I'd rather not have to pair my gear to an amp lol. My T1 is actually broken right now so I'm waiting for a replacement. I'll post impressions on how I feel once I get that in. Well I guess I could try it out of the Triad lol. But I'm really enjoying it straight from the HO which for me is ideal :). The problem with the DX100 was that I was not a big fan of its amp section. I mean it is technically very good. But I didn't like how it sounded for the most part and I much preferred the sound from its LO to the T1. But with the AK120 I actually like how it sounds from the HO :). I had these same experiences with the Hifiman 601 and the Sflo2. I was always using their LOs with an amp because I did not like their amp sections :p.

Well, I congrats your purchase and wish you many joyful hours with that 
wink.gif
 Unfortunately it is out of my budget for the moment and it will not enter for a while, maybe years later something like AK200 can fit to me but for the moment I rather not to go that high.

DAP market is getting hot and the competition always results as consumers advantage. I am calmly watching the battle and sometime I will make my decision but for the moment I am saving up for SE 5 Reference 
tongue.gif

May 31, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #5,489 of 9,165
Quote:
Well, I congrats your purchase and wish you many joyful hours with that 
wink.gif
 Unfortunately it is out of my budget for the moment and it will not enter for a while, maybe years later something like AK200 can fit to me but for the moment I rather not to go that high.

DAP market is getting hot and the competition always results as consumers advantage. I am calmly watching the battle and sometime I will make my decision but for the moment I am saving up for SE 5 Reference 
tongue.gif

lol thanks :p.

Patience is a virtue. I'm sure with time the prices may come down as it did on the AK100.

May 31, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #5,490 of 9,165
someone wants my RWAK? 
rolleyes.gif
 time to upgrade to AK120?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back