The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #3,887 of 9,165
Will that Indonesian fellow please update us with the Coaxial upgrade? Preferably with pictures to accompany the impeccable write up. 

A Coaxial lineout would be something I'd be interested in if it succeeds in bypassing the DAC completely without manipulating the volume knob. I'm a little dubious of using the headphone out to link back to my PB1. (Yes I'm a big fan of this pseudo balanced sound). I no longer carry an amp for travel so this isn't such a big deal. It still seems to be an interesting proposition if it all works out.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #3,888 of 9,165
Hmmm...I've been reading this thread thinking the AK100 (regular or RWA mod) might be the way to go, but now I'm not so sure. I have the HiSound Anniv 3, do like the sound, find the UI and mechanical performance fairly glitchy. Been reading about the "high end" DAP's, the ibasso and the AK100, but I don't get the sense that, sonically, I'd really be upgrading. For that matter, the quirky UI that I'd love to stop using seems to be common to all these players, negating even that reason to purchase. Hi-rez files do sound appealing (in theory), and I have listened to some 24/192 on my living room high rez rig, felt they sounded really nice (if the music was well recorded to begin with), but didn't compare them to regular CD resolution files or discs. Some people seem to love these files on these high end daps, others don't hear a difference. Wish I could audition some of these.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #3,890 of 9,165
Quote:
Hmmm...I've been reading this thread thinking the AK100 (regular or RWA mod) might be the way to go, but now I'm not so sure. I have the HiSound Anniv 3, do like the sound, find the UI and mechanical performance fairly glitchy. Been reading about the "high end" DAP's, the ibasso and the AK100, but I don't get the sense that, sonically, I'd really be upgrading. For that matter, the quirky UI that I'd love to stop using seems to be common to all these players, negating even that reason to purchase. Hi-rez files do sound appealing (in theory), and I have listened to some 24/192 on my living room high rez rig, felt they sounded really nice (if the music was well recorded to begin with), but didn't compare them to regular CD resolution files or discs. Some people seem to love these files on these high end daps, others don't hear a difference. Wish I could audition some of these.

I was very much in 2 minds for similar reasons (in my case the good quality of iPod 5G with rockbox). I don't understand people's complaints about the Ak100 interface - it is absolutely fine and not at all glitchy in my short experience with the current 1.33 firmware.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #3,891 of 9,165
Will that Indonesian fellow please update us with the Coaxial upgrade? Preferably with pictures to accompany the impeccable write up. 

A Coaxial lineout would be something I'd be interested in if it succeeds in bypassing the DAC completely without manipulating the volume knob. I'm a little dubious of using the headphone out to link back to my PB1. (Yes I'm a big fan of this pseudo balanced sound). I no longer carry an amp for travel so this isn't such a big deal. It still seems to be an interesting proposition if it all works out.

My friend DIY AK 100 mod as follow :

Stage 1 : he bypassed the resistor with cable , but the resistor still there .
SQ more balance than stock

Stage 2 : his secret

Stage 3 : full function update the line in as line out for coaxial

He can not do a lot , because he is audio hobbies

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #3,892 of 9,165
Quote:

My take on the issue of different Daps at this level of portable audio. It is all about synergy and whether your IEMs with take advantage of the individual characteristics of the said DAP..........

The AK100 has a very wide soundstaging capabilities but can sound flat if your IEM cannot portray depth. I have good results with the W4 and simply sensational with the FitEar MH335DW.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #3,894 of 9,165
Quote:

My take on the issue of different Daps at this level of portable audio. It is all about synergy and whether your IEMs with take advantage of the individual characteristics of the said DAP..........

The AK100 has a very wide soundstaging capabilities but can sound flat if your IEM cannot portray depth. I have good results with the W4 and simply sensational with the FitEar MH335DW.

Good point, spkrs.

I have been intrigued by this for some time and am spending some time today putting together a chart comparing all of the DAPs I own with all of the different heaphones / earphones I own.

The comparison will include:
  1. AK100 (unmodded)
  2. Cowon X7
  3. iPod 5G (rockbox)
  4. iPod 7G
  5. iPod Nano (not sure generation at the moment)
  6. iPhone 5
  7. Sony Xperia TX
  8. Sansa Clip Zip (in transit, but here soon)
  9. Sony Walkman (can't remember model right now, but recent 4Gb model)

I will be matching the various DAPs with:
  1. Vsonic GR07
  2. HiFiMan Re272
  3. Sennheiser HD650
  4. AKG K420
  5. UM Miracles (when they return)
  6. Sennheiser MX470 

I'm really interested to see where synergies lie and why (if that becomes clear). If anyone would like a certain DAP added to the comparison, I will be glad to include it if you're willing to lend it to me for a week or so.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #3,896 of 9,165
Quote:
good luck :)

Thanks! Just building the table now and it's pretty massive - the testing might take a while! 
wink_face.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #3,897 of 9,165
For those using MediaMonkey with their AK100, I've just started the process of asking about a custom script to do the playlist modifications automatically (or at least with the press of a button).

I'm finding it easiest to select "Force relative path" in the playlist section of the device configuration menu because then you just have to replace ".." with "/nand3", "/mnt/SD1" (top slot) or "/mnt/SD0" (bottom slot)

Still need to change the .m3u suffix to for now as per esmBOS' brilliant advice.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #3,898 of 9,165
Quote:

If anyone is passing through Edmonton Alberta and wishes to audition the AK100, we have them on demo in our retail shop and you can also try them with many well known headphones. We also stock Woo Fireflies and a large number of DACs. This is where having a local dealer to audition can be a very positive thing.
Thanks and I hope this post passes the rules of the house.
The Gramophone
Edmonton

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #3,900 of 9,165
I don't recall it being mentioned, but does the AK100 have any limitations in how high of a bitrate it can playback? I have a Queen album (Night at the opera) that is a 6ch 96/24bit album with a bitrate at about 7-8000kbps and when I try to play a file from that album, I get no playback. It just sits at 00:00 and when I try to play any other song (lower bitrate) after trying one of the Queen ones, they won't playback either. It returns to normal via a reboot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back