The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #2,717 of 9,165
There seems to be a lot of used AK100s on the market....  I'm temped to pick up a backup... -=x

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,719 of 9,165
I think many do not give this player enough time. I leave mine playing all the time, listening or not. It has opened up nicely and drives a number of my phones well and I noticed at times it was closed in and lacking in highs and resolution but just run it. I still think the toughest player they made, and ahead of its time, was the HD120 or 140, but they aren't current so it is on to the AK100, which I think is a little too expensive but it is what we have in a small player besides the Tera Player, which is smaller and from what I have read, offers superb sound.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,720 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi everybody

Sorry for posting this again, but I wonder why no one has replied. Am I in the wrong thread? Or has the question been answered already somewhere else? Again, would much appreciate any comments/thoughts on following:

I have the UE18 pro and am looking for a great DAP to go with it. Tried stock AK100 vs Colorfly C4 with various WAV files in a store this week. Liked SQ of C4 better. Now I'm wondering if the RWAK100 is closer to C4 with my UE18? Would much appreciate any comments on that. Maybe somebody has C4 and RWAK100 and can do a comparison?

Thanks in advance for any replies, it would sure help to decide if I should try the RWAK100 first. Do you think the SQ of RWAK100 vs C4 is worth trying out the RWAK100, even if I may have to re-sell it in the end bcs I still prefer the C4? Or am I even likely to keep the RWAK100 bcs it surpasses SQ of the C4 (both DAP would be combined with UE18 of course)? 

Hi there, your're in the right thread to ask the question, but if you're not getting responses its because nobody has all 3 pieces of gear... if you see somebody with that gear in their profile, maybe try shooting them a PM... good luck!

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,722 of 9,165
My ak 100 freezes a lot any solutions or resets?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/1785#post_9046703

Hold up and the power button. Does that help?

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,724 of 9,165
I just received my RWAK100 earlier this past week and have been listening to it ever since with my HD800's. In my opinion this blows my ipod 5.5 out of the water!

I have been listening to the RWAK connected directly to my HD800's and although you wont get loud volume, you do get some very nice sounding music.  Then, I connected the headphone out (volume at max) of the RWAK to my Ray Samuel's Intruder.  The music was just as crystal clear with a very dark background and excellent sound-stage.  Now, I dont know if the RWAK is functioning as a "line out" with the volume at max or am I really "double amping"?   I dont know much about double amping (newbie here) however I was very impressed with the RWAK ---> RS Intruder ---> HD800's single ended. 

My test music sets were Louis Armstrong Wonderful World 24/192 downloaded from HD Tracks and Andrea Bocelli Passione 24/96.

Very pleased with the initial performance of the RWAK. I am using firmware 1.3v and the unit has not locked up at all.

My biggest concern is with the PC interface to get playlists onto the RWAK. I wasnt too impressed with iRiver Plus 4 and also tried Media Center 18.  Via Media Center I tried the "send playlist to RWAK..." option but could not get the playlists to download...although the album and songs may it to the unit and can be viewed under albums on the RWAK...not under playlists.

Joe

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,727 of 9,165
Quote:
My ak 100 freezes a lot any solutions or resets?

Yes, as the other guy mentionsed, make sure your firmware is up to date.   Currently 1.3.  If you have already done that, try reinstalling the firmware.

Make sure that your microSD is properly formatted.  Even if the card is correctly formatted, not all cards are the same.  Try a different card to see it makes a difference.

Library scan can be erratic.  If you have auto scan on, you might want to turn it off.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #2,728 of 9,165
A lot of misunderstandings here...

I have the AK100 and like it!

The software is crap, but can still be used to get files onto the AK100.

Converting toslink optical to COAX / COAXIAL(what is COAXIL, sounds like meds for herpes...) is easy and cheap.
Here's a converter from Amazon for USD11 is you need it.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B000I98ZQY

Sound is definitely better than iPhone 5 and it's small enough to use while running. I use it with B&W P5's and since these are fairly warm sounding, I think it works.

My main use is as a digital transport for car use: It's great for feeding my Audison Bit One with a digital signal, allowing me to play 48Khz  24bit FLAC's (that's the max for the current Bit One) get the most of my pretty good car system.

I will also use it to feed my garden system (focals + Velodyne sub driven my an older highend A/V-receiver that I bought for usd 70...) when the weather get's warmer, this will be an alternative to iphone/airplay via wifi that i use now.

BTW this is a good tip I think: Buy an older highend A/V receivers that have good electronics and DAC but doesn't support 1080p over HDMI, they can be had for almost nothing even if they cost a fortune new.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #2,729 of 9,165
thank you to all of you saying that this player is better than an Iphone or Ipod.....................
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back