The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #2,266 of 9,165
- Go HERE.
- Click on "AK100_V1.30.zip (28.6MB)" and save the file on your Desktop, or Downloads folder, wherever you can find it.
- Navigate to that folder: if it's still a ZIP file, doubleclick on it so it's de-compressed into a file ending in .hex(!)
- Connect your AK100. Drag that .hex file onto the AK100 drive showing up (NOT into any folder)
- Disconnect, and "wait for it to do its thing" as a poster wrote above. After a reboot it should show v1.30

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #2,267 of 9,165
Quote:

I may have taken this the wrong way but whilst you have your preferences is fine, but throwing a low ball question is also not very nice.

My $400 comment is based on the chart I saw in this thread, here is the chart again. As a consumer I dont think wanting a cheaper price is something out of the ordinary or unpredictable. Based on what I have been reading about this unit, and believe me I have read over 5 different detailed review and seen the videos where the unit is having problem playing flac as soon as its screen shuts off, everything is pointing towards this product not been worthy of that price.

In particular where most people prefer to spend $350 to mod what is already an expensive unit. I meant no disrespect to the people who have made this or the people who love this product so dearly, it is just as a consumer my first priority is to think about my own self and my wallet :)

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2,268 of 9,165
Well, I am obviously not the only person that feels gapless is important, judging by the majority of today's posts here.
rolleyes.gif

You are worried about gapless playback on a device you have no interest in and would never own. Ok I get it now :rolleyes:

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2,269 of 9,165
Quote:
You are worried about gapless playback on a device you have no interest in and would never own. Ok I get it now
rolleyes.gif

Nothing wrong with point out what we want from a device. I for one would have bought this unit in a heart beat if the price was at 400 and I was willing to ignore all the flaws it is having at its current stage. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2,270 of 9,165
You are worried about gapless playback on a device you have no interest in and would never own. Ok I get it now :rolleyes:

This is a public forum, and all are welcome to comment. It doesn't matter if you agree or not,...welcome to the Internet.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2,271 of 9,165
Quote:
If you're on Windows, I found that if your AK100's firmware is out of date, their iriver Plus4 music manager program automatically detects it and will download the new firmware on to the AK.

That program is horse ****. It's extremely buggy and unresponsive. A dumb donkey has more sophistication.....
rolleyes.gif

When I'd plug the unit in to try the auto-update the program would just hang. This is by far the worst Media player I've seen lol.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,272 of 9,165
Jan 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #2,273 of 9,165
Gapless seems inconsequential to some, and it's lucky for them if this doesn't bother certain people. I just know it would annoy the living hell out of me over time, like a roommate who cuts his nails and leaves the clippings on the floor or doesn't know how to operate a tube of toothpaste without leaving smears of it all over the damn sink. Or something like that.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #2,274 of 9,165
Quote:
Gapless seems inconsequential to some, and it's lucky for them if this doesn't bother certain people. I just know it would annoy the living hell out of me over time, like a roommate who cuts his nails and leaves the clippings on the floor or doesn't know how to operate a tube of toothpaste without leaving smears of it all over the damn sink. Or something like that.

Nails,...toothpaste,...you must know my 25yo son then,... :wink:

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #2,275 of 9,165
Quote:
Yep, I go the file but for some reason it will not download. My computer, I am not sure. I have downloaded other files today without problem so not sure why I can't get iRiver's file to download.

Try switching browsers. That sometimes makes a difference.  There are also two iriver download pages.  One at iriverinc.com and another at iriver.com.  If one doesn't work, you can try the other.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2,276 of 9,165
Quote:
Nails,...toothpaste,...you must know my 25yo son then,... :wink:

He must know my relatives in general lol. I can't stand that type of behavior. It's so lazy and self-conceited.... Hell my room can be a nightmare a lot of the time but common areas I always expect to be spick and span...

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #2,277 of 9,165
Got it now. The file is below what I kept trying to download and in grey so I just never really saw it. Too much information. :^)

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #2,278 of 9,165
Quote:
Nothing wrong with point out what we want from a device. I for one would have bought this unit in a heart beat if the price was at 400 and I was willing to ignore all the flaws it is having at its current stage. 

Why do you feel that iRiver AK100 just worth $400 and not $699?
I  guess iRiver may need to pay Astell & Kern for marketing purpose???
Or can someone explain  why AK100  costs $699? 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #2,279 of 9,165
Quote:
Why do you feel that iRiver AK100 just worth $400 and not $699?
I  guess iRiver may need to pay Astell & Kern for marketing purpose???
Or can someone explain  why AK100  costs $699? 

I think that a 400 dollar price tag is not reasonable.   The ak100 is better than the 400 dollar hifiman 602 in sound, better ui, more stable os, plus touchscreen.  It sounds better than a modded ipod, which costs around 550-650, with no external card slots and no touchscreen.  People think that the iBasso sounds better, but it costs 800+ and it is a much bigger build. Hifiman 801, about 800 dollars.  Colorfly around 750.   Tera player costs 1000+ us dollars.  Some people also like the studio v player's sound better at around 400, but it does not have a touchscreen.

A lot of the extra cost is because of the touchscreen; most DAPs don't have it.

Don't get me wrong.  I think 700 dollars is a lot of money, but it seems like the price fits the price of what is already in the market.   Obviously, I would prefer if it cost less, but I would prefer it even more if it was free.  Not going to happen obviously.  You are not going to get a DAP with a touchscreen for 400.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2,280 of 9,165
Quote:

A lot of the extra cost is because of the touchscreen; most DAPs don't have it.

Don't get me wrong.  I think 700 dollars is a lot of money, but it seems like the price fits the price of what is already in the market.   Obviously, I would prefer if it cost less, but I would prefer it even more if it was free.  Not going to happen obviously.  You are not going to get a DAP with a touchscreen for 400.

You can get a touchscreen iPod for $149.....just sayin'. There are other things that drive up the cost more than the touchscreen, I think. I hope for the price they are asking that it sounds much better than the iPods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back