The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2,206 of 9,165
Quote:
After adding album art to my 2000++ tracks around 5 mins, especially the 192/24s, those take a while to read.

Hmm well if is 2000+ 24/192 tracks then I don't know lol. I only used 16/44 on it pretty much Around 2800 FLAC files. I tested 24/192 files on it but didn't find the unit capable of rendering these files like on the DX100. So pretty much not worth it IMO. I get much better results on the desktop in that regard...

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,207 of 9,165
Hmm well if is 2000+ 24/192 tracks then I don't know lol. I only used 16/44 on it pretty much Around 2800 FLAC files. I tested 24/192 files on it but didn't find the unit capable of rendering these files like on the DX100. So pretty much not worth it IMO. I get much better results on the desktop in that regard...

Well I left it last with that amount of time so I'm not so sure...

That aside... DAMN THIS TERA PLAYER! Damn it to HEAVEN this thing is GODLY!

Now I've ranted, I can make a proper comparison later...

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,208 of 9,165

Well I left it last with that amount of time so I'm not so sure...

That aside... DAMN THIS TERA PLAYER! Damn it to HEAVEN this thing is GODLY!

Now I've ranted, I can make a proper comparison later...

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #2,211 of 9,165
So the tera is your favorite DAP I assume? :).

I'd go to the Tera when you really want to hear SQ well...

RWAK100 more for analytical testing on the go (as I havent heard the Studio V)

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #2,212 of 9,165
Quote:
It sets both SD Cards as if they were 1 in album view...

Quote:
Actually, you have both options.  It does sort by album, artist, etc from all of the drives - including the internal drive - into one single view.   However, you also have the option of navigating by drive and folder manually.  I found this a useful option if you just added a new album but don't won't to do a scan right then.  You can navigate to the folder manually and listen immediately.

Thanks for the replies. Just asking 'cause I do want to have a reference player to listen with.

For this price can I assume an amplifier wont be needed, and the quality of the music is far beyond what you'd expect for an ipod or walkman?

Also, the volume knob, is it a big problem. Like when you put it down a table or pick it up does it get in the way?

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,213 of 9,165
Quote:

Thanks for the replies. Just asking 'cause I do want to have a reference player to listen with.

For this price can I assume an amplifier wont be needed, and the quality of the music is far beyond what you'd expect for an ipod or walkman?

Also, the volume knob, is it a big problem. Like when you put it down a table or pick it up does it get in the way?

I would say the sound quality is definitely better than an ipod and most other generic mp3 players.  However, some prefer the sound of other high-end DAPs over this, eg, iBasso, tera player, studio v.  Some have also chosen to go with a modded version of the ak100.   That version gives you more dynamics and volume.   All those other options with the exception of studio v would cost you more money though.  The criticism of the ak100 is that the sound lacks dynamics and can sound cold and analytical.  It is very good with detail and has a really great black background though.

Amplifier.  It really depends on the type of headphone you are using.  I have been able to drive my 150 ohm hifiman 262 relatively easily.   With some tracks though, i come pretty close to maxing out the volume.  You might have difficulty driving headphones with higher than 150 impedance (depending on the phones efficiency and sensitivity).  So it really depends on the headphones you will be using.  You might want to check to see if someone here has already tried to pair the phones you are using with the ak100.

The volume knob has turned out to be surprisingly a non-issue for most people.  This is because people did not realize how small this player actually was originally.  The knob is actually pretty small.   You also have the option of turning off the volume knob when the screen is off too.  This avoids accidentally changing the volume if that is a problem.  I think one of the strengths of this player is the physical build.  It is very easy to handle.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,216 of 9,165
I'm really thinking of buying an RWAK100. It looks amazing! Is it much better than an imod 5.5g with a v-cap dock? I'm kind of sick of setting it up every time I want to listen.

Its great for portability. I think the imod will be good for trans-portability :) i have two setups (well now 3) with me all the time, RWAK100 for on the go listening, Tera for Testing and sitting listening, and a classic-CLASDB-Intruder for heavy duty testing.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,218 of 9,165
I wish that Tera had a screen and pause. I do like what he's done otherwise,

Its a great player... Actually reminded me of my ipod shuffle days when I didnt know any better xD

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2,219 of 9,165
I'm really thinking of buying an RWAK100. It looks amazing! Is it much better than an imod 5.5g with a v-cap dock? I'm kind of sick of setting it up every time I want to listen.

I think the RWAK100 is better sounding than an Imod, I have had both recently actually. It is an absolute treat to just have one small device to bring around with you and be very happy with the sound.
No hassle setting it up, charging 2 items or having to have a dock with you to listen. Ease of use in every aspect is a huge plus for me on this one.

Surprisingly enough the volume knob was a big scare for me when I first saw the unit.
I think you will be surprised at how small this thing actually is. The volume knob has been an absolute non-issue for me, and I have it in my pocket every day to and from work.
Another cool thing which has been mentioned here but I will bring it up again is that the volume knob when the screen is off moves at a very tiny fraction.
So even if you bump it drastically the volume will barely change.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #2,220 of 9,165
Its a great player... Actually reminded me of my ipod shuffle days when I didnt know any better xD

The first ipod shuffle was a great sounding little player, the one that was like a usb stick.
I actually still use it when I go out for a run, I have a little lanyard for it. It's perfect and sounds surprisingly good.
It's only 1 GB but for an hour long run or whatever it is perfect to load up 25 songs and put it on shuffle mode.

I remember reading this from wikipedia about its sq and bass response :

Due to superior audio technology in the SigmaTel STMP35xx SOC and SDK, the iPod Shuffle has a better bass response than a 4th generation iPod, according to a review published days after its release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back