The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 11, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #1,757 of 9,165
So far I'm actually liking the player. I've found it needs to be set to EQ Flat to sound really good. On EQ off it's a bit harsh (fatiguing) at slightly higher volumes. On EQ Flat its even more detailed and much more balanced IMO. I understand the comments now on the black background. It indeed is even blacker than the DX100. This is clearly evident with me listening to it on low volumes (20 out of 75). I'm curious as to what you other headfier listen to this device at volume wise :wink:.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #1,758 of 9,165
Quote:
So far I'm actually liking the player. I've found it needs to be set to EQ Flat to sound really good. On EQ off it's a bit harsh (fatiguing) at slightly higher volumes. On EQ Flat its even more detailed and much more balanced IMO. I understand the comments now on the black background. It indeed is even blacker than the DX100. This is clearly evident with me listening to it on low volumes (20 out of 75). I'm curious as to what you other headfier listen to this device at volume wise :wink:.

I asked this before, but I think it never got answered: About how many db +/- (max/min) do you get from the EQ bands onboard?

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #1,760 of 9,165
Quote:
A few tips on the MP3Tags I've noticed :-

1) not always but if Album Artists is blank, it may classify the whole track as Unknown Album & Unknown Artists (under the Album category at least)
2) it doesn't seem to be a fan of "Compilations". It puts those tracks under an album "1". Recommend to remove the Compilations flag on the track (I found this on XLD but not on MP3tag)
3) Keep Album Artwork under 500x500 if possible, if it's too big, it won't appear
4) Some albums, I needed to place track order for it to appear in order - so far only on my SACD ripped/converted/down sampled. Possibly an isolated issue.

Others which I don't know if has any impact at all :-

1) I always genre categorise
2) I ensure only 1xalbum artwork per track. If there's a 2nd I delete

Good catch on the Compilation flag! iRiver, if you're going to do it wrong or can't handle it, why not just simply IGNORE it? Also: about 90% of my covers are 600x600 and probably the handful of problem covers are a different size, so I'd say up to that size it's safe as well.

Between this (which I use to organize quite a few albums thanks to an iTunes/iDevice quirk) and re-embedding a couple of covers, I finally got everything straightened out as far as the music goes! Maybe this weekend I'll look into something scripting or similar to see if there's any useful way to get playlists on there...

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,761 of 9,165
That would be nice because I am a playlist freak and this is one thing that is pissing me off about this player. I contacted their customer service to bitch about it as well as not having gapeless playback! These are 2 basic things that even the DX100 got right....

Supposedly it only supports PLS playlist format and I found a script that may work in mp3tag. Just you have to set up the paths according to how iRiver programmed it (dumb obviously) so good luck on that one. I'd love it you managed to get it working. As playlists are pretty much the fastest way to access music IMO.

http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=11439

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644798/path-to-external-microsds-for-ak100-for-playlists#post_9038032

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #1,763 of 9,165
Quote:
dunno that is what I read from headfonia, where the sound signature suddenly become better when they change into the momentum and one other pair

Because they had a non-modded version with the crappy 22 ohm output impedance. We have modded RWA AK100 which is less than 1 ohm :wink:. Then again I take his reviews (headfonia) with a BIG grain of salt :p.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #1,764 of 9,165
I thought doing this mod did something to the durability of the AK 100?
 there is a statement by iriver about this I think? where they say that doing the mod may break your headphone or something?

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #1,765 of 9,165
Quote:
I thought doing this mod did something to the durability of the AK 100?
 there is a statement by iriver about this I think? where they say that doing the mod may break your headphone or something?

They lyed :wink:. All in hopes in preventing themselves from looking like horses-asses. Still it didn't work. They just made themselves look worse  :p.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #1,766 of 9,165
Anyone finding problems with tags? I got a few hundred songs reporting as 'unknown album' and 'unknown artists' but a check in foobar and winamp shows the tags correctly.

There is no compilation flag and I even removed album art. Any ideas?

P. S. The iriver plus 4 software is a POS.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #1,767 of 9,165
Quote:
Anyone finding problems with tags? I got a few hundred songs reporting as 'unknown album' and 'unknown artists' but a check in foobar and winamp shows the tags correctly.

There is no compilation flag and I even removed album art. Any ideas?

P. S. The iriver plus 4 software is a POS.

lol you can say that again! That program had me pulling my hair out! I even tried using the playlist function and could not for the life of me figure it out. dumb is an understatement for this program! lol

Anyways try use mp3tag and see if you are missing the Album Artist tag. That could very well be it. If you can find a code to automatically add your Artist plane to the Album Artist Plane you could do this in one crack and just save the changes. :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,770 of 9,165
Quote:
What is inside the headphone amplifier in AK100?
DAC knows what, but the amplifier ...

Yoda...is that you?

LOL.

Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back