The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #1,726 of 9,165
Tried it at Jaben 2 days back with my Miracle and a friend's W4R.

Could be the noisy environment, but heard no hiss nor noises.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #1,727 of 9,165
Quote:
What would happen to my 8.A if I just plug it into a normal AK100? Fireworks?

It would be random. Depending on the drivers themselves. Nothing is guaranteed, but what is is that your IEMs frequency response will be impacted. Meaning they will not sound like Heir Audio intended them to sound. Now exactly how it would change them is unknown to me. But I won't be finding out as I am also receiving a pair of 8As shortly. Pretty much the results will vary like bloated bass, rolled off bass, spiked treble, rolled off treble, etc. This is even more so apparent on BA IEMs.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #1,728 of 9,165
Quote:

It would be random. Depending on the drivers themselves. Nothing is guaranteed, but what is is that your IEMs frequency response will be impacted. Meaning they will not sound like Heir Audio intended them to sound. Now exactly how it would change them is unknown to me. But I won't be finding out as I am also receiving a pair of 8As shortly. Pretty much the results will vary like bloated bass, rolled off bass, spiked treble, rolled off treble, etc. This is even more so apparent on BA IEMs.

If thats true, then what a shame...love how the AK100 looks...:frowning2: Can i mod the AK100 with a 1 ohm resistor my self?

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Jan 10, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,729 of 9,165
Quote:
If thats true, then what a shame...love how the AK100 looks...:frowning2: Can i mod the AK100 with a 1 ohm resistor my self?

I think Vinnie cut off the resistor and rewired part of the unit. Not sure how easy that would be to do? Or maybe you could find someone else to do the mod for you who is experienced at such a thing and pay them instead?

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #1,730 of 9,165
@anakchan, reducing the file size of the album art worked. All my album art is showing correctly. And the couple of album tags I thought were wrong, are also wrong on my original files, so everything is working perfectly now. I must say that XLD is an awesome little program.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,733 of 9,165
I've noticed some sort of a glitch in AK100 software, I played around 100 flac's and two of those files now get a
"This file format is unsupported" msg, even though it was playing them fine the day before.
The weird thing is that the message only pops out sometimes, and only when I try to ff or rewind the track,  if I play it from start to the end it works flawlessly.

(I use the latest 1.20 firmware)

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,734 of 9,165
Quote:
I think Vinnie cut off the resistor and rewired part of the unit. Not sure how easy that would be to do? Or maybe you could find someone else to do the mod for you who is experienced at such a thing and pay them instead?

No need to cut anything. Once the wire is taken from the FET to the socket, the resistor is electrically gone.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,735 of 9,165
Quote:
No need to cut anything. Once the wire is taken from the FET to the socket, the resistor is electrically gone.

Yes, figuratively and literally the electrical current chooses the proverbial 'path of least resistance'

But I think Vinnie should still remove the resistor - just think of the weight saving!  
deadhorse.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #1,736 of 9,165
Quote:

In that case why did iRiver run the signal through that resistor in the first place?  I really curious to know.  Thanks.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,737 of 9,165
Quote:
In that case why did iRiver run the signal through that resistor in the first place?  I really curious to know.  Thanks.

It may have been for a constant minimum resistance/load. The resistor, after the discrete circuitry is easily bypassed or as RW does, you can wire direct wire out from the trace to the output.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,740 of 9,165
So far the unit is getting better. I'd say about 24 hours burn in so far. Been using a 75 ohm etymotic impedance adapter with Hisounds Live Ear buds (those are power hungry buggers). I'm keeping it around volume 60 and plugged into the PC. The unit gets slightly warm but not DACport LX lava-like :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back