The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,682 of 9,165
Quote:
There are NO opamps on the output stage. There
are discrete FETs that sound better than opamps.
Away in Vegas,
Vinnie

Now this is great. I suspect that there is an opamp as part of this 'output stage' as driver for the FETs. Opamps are much more current limited than discrete devices, even surface mounted ones and using an opamp as voltage driver is for the FETs is a fine way to go.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I think this is much more significant than the 3.7v rail voltage which also allows for USB charging.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,683 of 9,165
Yes - dac analog output filter used opamps (analog devices
- NOT cheap ones). Headphone output stage is fed from +/- 3V.

Even with the most sensitive IEMs, background noise
is as black as it gets - no joke.

FET output stage was test by me with 8-ohm speakers.

What I like about it is that even at full output, there is
no congestion or distortion.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,685 of 9,165
Just got my unit in. It's smaller than I thought it would be.... So far the UI is quite nice and simple to use. More impressions to come... Thanks for allowing me to enjoy this player as it was intended to be Vinnie! :wink:

Update: I found the amp section on this unit to be its weak-point. Still I'll have to give it some time to burn in but when I plugged in my Tralucent T1 amp to the unit is when this unit came to life. So much better amping it :wink:.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,686 of 9,165
Still waiting for m'y RWAK100 to arrive. Can't wait :smiley:
I intend to buy now à Fostex TH900 to use With the RWAK100. AND. with Vinnie's Bellina HPA ( the new DAC/amp from RWA)

I understood from posts here that the TH900 Will match well With the RWAK but Will it also have a good synergy With the Bellina HPA ? Vinnie ...??

( i may buy may be a LCD 3... later when i Will be able to try it With the Bellina HPA because so far I did not realy enjoyed my LCD tests with a Burston A160 amp).

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,687 of 9,165
Quote:
<snip>
Tags and artwork are kind of hit or miss. Using XLD to convert ALAC to FLAC and media fire to get artwork not maintained. Most tags are right but found a few not showing track name but are associated with correct artist and album. More than a few album covers not showing up, even though embedded. Firmware 1.13.<snip>

Had some of the same issues, for some tips check my earlier post if you haven't done so already: Link

Also V1.20 is the latest firmware, may fix some issues: Link

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,689 of 9,165
Quote:
Have you been able to get playlists to work properly? I'm not sure if I have a wrong setting for it in place or not...

Created on the AK100 or attempting to transfer an existing one, and if so, by what means?

As I wrote, on-device creation is primitive and paths to the items are absolute, i.e. just swapping slots (or re-arranging/naming folders) will break them... because of that, I don't know of any app that would translate/create them in the correct .pls format (maybe iRiver's own PC-only software can but I haven't tried it myself)

The test ones I created on the AK100 worked though, as-is anyway...

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,690 of 9,165
Quote:
So after a few hours with the RWAK100 coupled with my FXZ200... I have to say that the sound is very dynamic, clean, balanced.  My only portable source for the last few months has been the clip zip both rockboxed and not.  is the RWAK100 18 times better than the clip zip? of course not, but is it a significant difference to my ears with my earphones? Yes.  I feel that the FXZ are rather hard to drive for an IEM so that might have a lot to do with the difference.  

Before the RWAK100, in bed I would listen to the clip zip > O2 > FXZ200 and it helped the sound a lot but its still not as good as the RWAK100 to me.  

I love the size, build quality, and volume knob.  Mine is feels loose as someone else mentioned, but when you change the volume, it is very exact.  

It's a $900 music player... to most people that is straight up stupid.  But if youre looking for amazing sq for portable/easier to drive headphones (have not tried anything more difficult to drive), in a single unit, in a super small size, with a UI that does its job, and dont need all the bells and whistles of Android and whatnot, and have a lot of money to spend, and is someone looking for that last 5-15% to squeeze out of your pocket rig, this may be it. 

I figure, its either something like this or the DX100 or buy  a different cheaper dap, portable amp, ICs, blah blah blah... the price gets up there pretty quick.  

For me, especially with a baby coming, I dont know if I will be able to afford to keep it long term, but I am 100% happy that I got to hear this amazing little unit.  Now.. if only it could drive the HD650s..... 

Congrats on the baby bro!

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,693 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
Created on the AK100 or attempting to transfer an existing one, and if so, by what means?

As I wrote, on-device creation is primitive and paths to the items are absolute, i.e. just swapping slots (or re-arranging/naming folders) will break them... because of that, I don't know of any app that would translate/create them in the correct .pls format (maybe iRiver's own PC-only software can but I haven't tried it myself)

The test ones I created on the AK100 worked though, as-is anyway...

I tried creating them via Media Monkey. They really need to fix that issue. m3u is a very common file type to use, not pls. Plus I even changed the script to pls and that still doesn't work. So playlists are fail on this device.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #1,695 of 9,165
Quote:
AK100 is small enough to take out

Yep it is quite small. My only problem with this player is its amp section. It really lacks in dynamics and resolving power. It has volume but that is not the only thing that matters in a DAP. Amping it brings it up to my expectations. Just I wish it had that sound without the amp.... Personally at this time I feel the Studio V is the better sounding unit when paired with my 1Plus2s and I don't need to amp it. Just there is some hiss.... Basically what I'm saying is if Hisound manages to make that very same unit without hiss on it. I'd say bye-bye to the AK100 and even DX100 in a heartbeat. Seriously. They pair that damn good together....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back