The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Nov 7, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #436 of 9,165
yes, actually i do think that setting a 22 ohm output impedance IS a logical mistake on behalf of the company : ) however, i do not care about iem's one bit, and forget about the dap's performance on any of them. i do not think i will use iem's for the next fifty years of my life. do you guys think that it will - also - not be a good pair even with audio technica es55's? (i thought grado's are also 32 ohm by the way)

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #437 of 9,165
Quote:
yes, actually i do think that setting a 22 ohm output impedance IS a logical mistake on behalf of the company : ) however, i do not care about iem's one bit, and forget about the dap's performance on any of them. i do not think i will use iem's for the next fifty years of my life. do you guys think that it will - also - not be a good pair even with audio technica es55's? (i thought grado's are also 32 ohm by the way)

If you are following the 1/8 rule then no it won't work well. :) You'd need at least 176 Ohm headphones to account for the stupid impedance on this DAP. More so the frequency response will be altered due to the impedance. Now weather you will like this or not in real world usage remains to be seen.  :)

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #438 of 9,165
Actually the es55 has a fairly linear impedance curve. FR shouldn't suffer too much, but you might loose elsewhere (crosstalk, distortion). You should definitely try it before buying.
Quote:

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #441 of 9,165
Hi, guys,
I'm not a great participant of forums, I'm just considering getting a new portable rig. I can tune a turntable good (not the higher end units- but Projects, Regas, MusicHalls, lower-en Denons, but my buddies always ask me to align the cartridge and so on). I'm looking for a more portable rig right now. Was thinking about the Tera player, did a lot of reading, but haven't contacted Charles yet- the DAP is interesting, but I'm a bit scared of... you know what.
Well, my current rig is Sony PCM-D50+ATH-ESW9. I listen mostly jazz, latin jazz, fusion - (no heavy metal and all that stuff, my fafourite "rock" group is Dire Straits, rarely but regularly i listen some classic music, mostly chamber one). The format is only PCM, trying to get studio masters (they sell flacs on the Internet- I convert 'em with Sonic stage, as like the result more than Foobar's one).
lol Sorry for such a long introduction, but here comest he question(I'm not a tech):will this DAP perform well with single-driver IEMs, like Ortofon e-q7- impedance is 31-42 Ohms? I mean hi-res music @24/96?

maybe anyone has already tried this combo?
sorry for my poor English and thanks!
regards,

aqtaket
;

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #442 of 9,165
Sigh~~~

I am so dumb...
In most China websites mentioned --> format including AAC....

but after i got it.

go to Japan website:

[font= 'Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro']
対応機種 : AK100
[/font]
size]

[font= 'Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro'][/font]
本製品は、M4A ( ALAC / AAC ) に対応していません。ご了承ください。
[/font]

AK100: compatible models

This product is not compatible with (ALAC / AAC) M4A. Please acknowledge it.

Damn.....

Btw, updated to 1.12 version, no obvious change. The correction is:

<修正内容>
1.AK100製品内''Playlists''フォルダに音楽ファイルを保存した場合、ローディング中に止まる症状を改善しました。

2.FLACファイルに入力されたタグ情報が壊れていた場合、データベース更新が正常に作動しなかったり、 該当ファイル再生時に停止する症状を改善しました。

<Modifications>
If you saved the file in the music folder in the product'' Playlists'' 1.AK100, I improved the symptoms stop during loading.

If the tag information that is entered in the 2.FLAC file is corrupted, I have to improve the symptoms database update may not operate properly, stop when playing the file in question.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #443 of 9,165
Can you please do a video review for us? Another AK100 owner was supposed to do it but I think he doesn't care.
mad.gif
.Thanks
Sigh~~~

I am so dumb...
In most China websites mentioned --> format including AAC....

but after i got it.

go to Japan website:

対応機種 : AK100
[/font]
size]

[font= 'Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro'][/font]
本製品は、M4A ( ALAC / AAC ) に対応していません。ご了承ください。
[/font]

AK100: compatible models

This product is not compatible with (ALAC / AAC) M4A. Please acknowledge it.

Damn.....

Btw, updated to 1.12 version, no obvious change. The correction is:

<修正内容>
1.AK100製品内''Playlists''フォルダに音楽ファイルを保存した場合、ローディング中に止まる症状を改善しました。

2.FLACファイルに入力されたタグ情報が壊れていた場合、データベース更新が正常に作動しなかったり、 該当ファイル再生時に停止する症状を改善しました。

<Modifications>
If you saved the file in the music folder in the product'' Playlists'' 1.AK100, I improved the symptoms stop during loading.

If the tag information that is entered in the 2.FLAC file is corrupted, I have to improve the symptoms database update may not operate properly, stop when playing the file in question.

Can ypu

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #446 of 9,165
Surely, it will be my pleasure to do the vid review,
If you don't mind listening to my crap....
i would try to do it.
Btw, what else you guy wanna know more?

But i am not good at expressing the sq....haha

I think this AK100.
1. A bit overpriced.
Cowon z2 32gb =300 usd
AK100 better performance by 30%+
I believe the price should be 500usd at max.
Now it costs 600 usd. A bit too much.

2. I own C4, HM601, cowon c2 & d3, ipod touch with fostex hp-p1 n clas solo.
So, once i listen to AK100,
I dont feel any "wow".
Coz my ipod touch + hpp1 + pico slim is much better,
But the overall investment costs almost 1200usd.
That is more than double the price of ak100.
Thus, i feel ak100 does what it is supposed to do sufficiently.

3. I can't help fall in love with this miniature ak100.
It is,
Smaller or similar as a pack of cigar.
Light weight, too light i fear that i will drop it.
Fast ui, no waiting among loading songs or searching through library.
Versatile EQ, never find eq setting can be so intuitive, just use ur finger to draw it.

AK100 is like a real pretty girl, with slim figure, not voluptuous but feminine enough,
She got no smart brain but mildly charming characters,
Having her to accompany you, you won't have much complaints,
As she is no drama queen like DX100 the voluptuous sexy bitxh,
Or the picky and sophisticated C4.
She can keep you entertained conveniently.
I see that is the main point.

[ btw, with my w4r, ue900 my volume level is 45-50/70,
But i am a quiet listener, i may try to test it with my SRH1840.]

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #448 of 9,165
Quote:
ALAC apple files will need the licenses to approved... as of now.. no...

they are said to be working on it

Wait I thought ALAC is open source? So they are using this lame excuse to not support it? lol :p. As I said earlier, avoid this company like the plague.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #449 of 9,165
ALAC apple files will need the licenses to approved... as of now.. no...

they are said to be working on it

Iriver lie: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/28/apples-lossless-alac-goes-open-source-its-like-flac-for-ipods/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back