The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Aug 10, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #9,076 of 9,165
Thanks for the helpful replies.

Its not every track no, but more than one. Its not album wide either. Its quite random.

My music is in mp3 format yes.
Should I convert my music to a different format?
If so, what should I convert too and whats the best tool for the job?

Cheers for the help.

EDIT : Just out of curiosity, is this a problem across all the AK devices? I hope not.

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #9,077 of 9,165
Thanks for the helpful replies.

Its not every track no, but more than one. Its not album wide either. Its quite random.

My music is in mp3 format yes.
Should I convert my music to a different format?
If so, what should I convert too and whats the best tool for the job?

Cheers for the help.

EDIT : Just out of curiosity, is this a problem across all the AK devices? I hope not.

like @gulakpi said, it sounds like a format issue.
I would suggest you make a list of all the songs which do not work and try to find format similarities/differences.

Maybe try turning them into flac, not for some non-existent SQ improvement, but just to check for the playback.

I have only owned my AK100 for over a week, but I have not yet experienced such problems. That being said, I have not yet listened/tested all of my currently +3500 songs.

P.S.: good that you learned how to edit.
beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #9,078 of 9,165

like @gulakpi said, it sounds like a format issue.
I would suggest you make a list of all the songs which do not work and try to find format similarities/differences.

Maybe try turning them into flac, not for some non-existent SQ improvement, but just to check for the playback.

I have only owned my AK100 for over a week, but I have not yet experienced such problems. That being said, I have not yet listened/tested all of my currently +3500 songs.

P.S.: good that you learned how to edit.
beerchug.gif

Great advice on the format, I will start to do this.
Ive got just under 2k tracks on mine so like you, its not easy to find them all, I am making notes as I go :)

What software would you suggest to convert to Flac?

Thanks again.

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #9,080 of 9,165

Great advice on the format, I will start to do this.
Ive got just under 2k tracks on mine so like you, its not easy to find them all, I am making notes as I go :)

What software would you suggest to convert to Flac?

Thanks again.

About five songs should be enough to find out whether it is indeed an issue with format playback.

I bought the AK100, in order to have to avoid all these annoying conversions. But if i have to, i usually use freemake converter.

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #9,082 of 9,165
Since you are used to the Foobar interface, it will be easy for you to use Foobar.
Just get the necessary codec (e.g. FLAC.exe etc.) and simply drop it in the Foobar folder.  Then right-click on the song/album you want to convert, and voila!

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #9,083 of 9,165
Regarding the vbr mp3s being clipped the newest firmware update fixes this or at least it did for me. I only found it happened on mp3s downloaded from Amazon however. The iriver website is bad so if it fails to download someone may be able to PM you another link where they uploaded- that's what i had todo.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #9,084 of 9,165
Forgot to ask (the reason i came here), is the mrk1 version worth selling in the UK?
Isit even worth anything now with the many newer models out?
Condition is perfect, box/packaging & receipt included.

Aug 12, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #9,085 of 9,165
Regarding the vbr mp3s being clipped the newest firmware update fixes this or at least it did for me. I only found it happened on mp3s downloaded from Amazon however. The iriver website is bad so if it fails to download someone may be able to PM you another link where they uploaded- that's what i had todo.

Forgot to ask (the reason i came here), is the mrk1 version worth selling in the UK?
Isit even worth anything now with the many newer models out?
Condition is perfect, box/packaging & receipt included.

Kindly use the *edit* button.

I personally did not download anything, but rather auto-updated using iriver plus 4. But I also do remember reading something about the 2.42 update fixing some playback issues. @gulakpi seems to already have tried this route and/or already fixed the problem.

To your question - If there is a good time to sell the AK100, it is now due to the Mojo craze going on around these parts. The AK100 mk1 still is, in terms of form factor, the ideal companion for the Mojo.
Apart from this, the AK100 has two things going for it, other newer DAPs don't have:

• The size advantage
  • The storage advantage

It still is among the smallest iPod replacing, high-end DAPs around and one of the very few (even versus its +$1000 brethrin) to still have 2 micro SD cards slots. Small, bluetooth and basically unlimited space - what more could one ask for?

Take all this from a person who basically just bought the AK100 (modded in my case) for the above mentioned reasons.

Concerning price, it is your call, yet I would stay under $500, especially if it an unmodded AK100. Because by itself and unmodded, it is not the most versatile of players in terms of output impedance - hence the AK100 mk2.

But all-in-all, if you genuinely are planning on selling it, this is the time to do it.

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #9,087 of 9,165
Thanks for the reply! Quite helpful indeed. I'll take a look around for swapsies and current cash value.

Glad to give my 2 cents.

If I were you though, I would tend more toward trades. 
I'd estimate the current value of a stock AK100 to be about $300-$400. For that trade value, you might find something more interesting/valuable than the money.

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #9,088 of 9,165
My correspondence with the American tech support call with a request to the battery model AK120:

Hello Maxim,

Unfortunately, we do not sell parts of our products to end users. 

If you need a battery replacement for your AK120, we do provide replacement service to US and Canadian customers.

Regards, Astell&Kern / iriver US Customer Service Center

www.astellnkern.com
www.facebook.com/astellandkern
www.twitter.com/astell_kern"

Hi Maximus.

We cannot disclose the model number of the battery as it is against our policy to give part numbers to end users.

Regards,

Astell&Kern / iriver US Customer Service Center

www.astellnkern.com
www.facebook.com/astellandkern
www.twitter.com/astell_kern

Space technology :) 

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #9,089 of 9,165
A&K has been notorious about its service and support to end users.
Not to worry, it is not that difficult to DIY yourself and save some $$$ at the same time.
Just follow the thread below and replace the battery yourself.
Measure the cavity of the battery space and look for the largest battery it will fit inside -- for longest battery life.  These LiPo batteries are named after their sizes.  e.g.  if you need a battery that is 4.5mm thick, and measures 28mm x 55mm, just look for 452855 as part number.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/671101/ak100-22ohm-bypass-diy

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #9,090 of 9,165
  A&K has been notorious about its service and support to end users.
Not to worry, it is not that difficult to DIY yourself and save some $$$ at the same time.
Just follow the thread below and replace the battery yourself.
Measure the cavity of the battery space and look for the largest battery it will fit inside -- for longest battery life.  These LiPo batteries are named after their sizes.  e.g.  if you need a battery that is 4.5mm thick, and measures 28mm x 55mm, just look for 452855 as part number.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/671101/ak100-22ohm-bypass-diy

Koreans have bad customer service? Something I expect and have experiences from the Chinese (PRC), but Korea?

Could somebody kindly elaborate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back