The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 1, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #8,972 of 9,165
I use my ak100 for 5-8 hours a day. How long it should last without replacement?

Quote:

I've run mine for 14 hours using FLAC without the battery dying.

According to the manual, when AK100 was first released and the battery was fresh in the box, the device was rated for "about 16 hours of continues" lossless play (normal usage with clicking, scrolling and some screen back-light). For mp3s it should be a lot more but that also depends on the kbps (128kbps mp3 would play a lot longer then 320kbps). 

Generally if you notice your battery meter jump down in big or unexpected increments its time to change the battery. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #8,973 of 9,165
I informally measure a battery's capacity by how much I put back in charging. It's an old rc hobby trick. Time plus average amps charging and you get your mah reading.

The manual says a new one can be charged in a little over 5 hours. Mine charges in about that time. I know, my battery is still quite fresh. 

If you flatten the AK100's power and get it to fully charge in less than that time,  You will get an idea of the battery capacity relative to a new one.

How long you player should last depends on usage. E.g standalone, amped, type of files to process, volume level, headphone impedance, etc.

Final word: just enjoy the DAP and take action only when it bothers you.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #8,974 of 9,165
I recently picked up a minty AK100 for a good price (couldn't pass it up) and want to hook it up to an amplifier - also maybe a DAC/Amp as well. I have the latest firmware and would like to confirm the connections with those in the know.

1.) To add an amplifier, I simply use the 3.5 HO and run the volume up to 100%

2.) To use as a USB DAC, just plug it into the computer and choose USB DAC from the menu. (I am then stuck with the 22ohm OI)

3.) If I want to use it as a transport and bypass the DAC and the Amplifier, do I just hook up the USB out (the place I charge it) and plug that into my DAC/Amp input?

I know this sucker is old and I should know it, but I am from the iPod generation and when I owned my DX90, I was satisfied with the internal amplifier (and really didn't own any decent amps) and when I had an AK120, I was more interested in being mobile and didn't want to add bulk - so never added an amp. But with the AK100 and the 22ohm OI, I kind of need to bypass its amplifier for the bulk of my gear to sound decent.

Thanks

Jul 4, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #8,975 of 9,165

1.) To add an amplifier, I simply use the 3.5 HO and run the volume up to 100%

2.) To use as a USB DAC, just plug it into the computer and choose USB DAC from the menu. (I am then stuck with the 22ohm OI)

3.) If I want to use it as a transport and bypass the DAC and the Amplifier, do I just hook up the USB out (the place I charge it) and plug that into my DAC/Amp input?

1, there is a button now to jump from Fixed to Variable output, it appears when you adjust the volume

2, yes, only 20ohm if it is not an mk2

3, no, you need to use the optical out beside the headphone out

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #8,976 of 9,165
When I use the AK00 with an amp, I find that max 75 volume doesn't always sound great. There are tracks that get a bit of top end distortion. I dial it down to 70.5 at times. For the most part, it works very well at 75.

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #8,979 of 9,165
Hi guys, does anyone have the iRiver software? The ******** download from iRiver keeps failing.

Steve from NYC

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #8,983 of 9,165
I've look here and did a search, but didn't find my question.

Can I use the listrid FW on my AK100 Mark2?

I have the 3 ohm unit that looks just like the first version 23 ohm unit.

Yep, you can. But keep in mind Listrid hasn't been updated for ages, whereas even though they've been a bit sporadic, iRiver have pushed out a couple of firmware updates for the device in the time I've owned it, including last month (V2.42).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back