The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Oct 14, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #8,701 of 9,165
I can't find any info on whether the AK100 MKII is compatible with Redwine lower output impedance mod. I know the MKII has only 2ohm output  impedance but I can hear a small amount of floor noise with SE846 (9ohm impedance). I refuse to amp IEM's as that defeats my purposes. 

Does anyone know if that's possible?

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #8,702 of 9,165
So, I bought a Hex T-4 in order to open the back and see if I could replace the battery. I got the screws off but have no idea how to get the back off. Everything is completely flush. There is no room to put any tool to pry the back off.

I am thinking of getting it modded by RWA and just have them change it. I'm amazed that anyone can get the back off without putting massive dents in it.

I wish the AK100 had the ability to do a left-right channel balance setting. Strange that it doesn't have something so basic.

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #8,703 of 9,165
  So, I bought a Hex T-4 in order to open the back and see if I could replace the battery. I got the screws off but have no idea how to get the back off. Everything is completely flush. There is no room to put any tool to pry the back off.

I am thinking of getting it modded by RWA and just have them change it. I'm amazed that anyone can get the back off without putting massive dents in it.

Perhaps a suction cup?

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #8,708 of 9,165
Hey guys, I am having a rough time deciding between a couple DAPs at the moment.
I am trying to decide between the AK100 MK2, and the DX90. I couldn't find any comparisons between these two, and was hoping someone here would be able to help me out!

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #8,711 of 9,165

give it a hot air flow for 2-3 mins (with hair dryer) then use suction cup to lift it up..

Hey guys,
I can confirm that the suction cup method works for removing the back (after extracting the Torx T4 screws, of course). I used a suction cup about 1.5" diameter, and I didn't even need to use a hair dryer to heat up the player.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #8,712 of 9,165
I'm having a nasty issue with bluetooth. I bought the iriver official remote (IAA01), which is compatible with ak100. I am hearing a buzzing sound whenever it is paired. 

-when remote is connected to iPhone, no buzzing
-buzzing happens regardless if I turn off my phone, it's not related
-buzzing happens even if I am in a non-wifi area with phone powered off, i.e middle of an empty field
-disabling bluetooth on AK100 makes the buzzing stop
-buzzing ONLY happens if music is playing, even at zero volume
-if music is paused, buzzing stops. I can use remote to toggle EQ/Repeat without any buzzing sounds
-re-pairing does not resolve issue
-upgrading firmware from 2.30 (this is what it shipped with) to 2.40 does not resolve issue
-pairing ak100 to iPhone only (all other BT devices turned off) yields constant beeping instead of buzzing
-charging ak100 did not fix
-keeping ak100 connected to charger does not fix
-placing hand at back/side of ak100 changes the pitch of the buzzing/beeping
-I have to clarify, buzzing comes out through the 3.5mm headphone out to whichever headphone/IEM I am using, although is most obvious on the very sensitive SE846 IEM.
-I can just BARELY hear the buzzing on my 50ohm Pro 900 headphones. Moderate buzzing volume on 32ohm T51p and unacceptable buzzing on SE846

The only non stock thing I have on my AK100 is the CNC machined aluminium volume knob protector attached via 3M double sided tape.

Pretty angry about this. Based on my troubleshooting I have determined that my AK100 bluetooth is defective or does not play nice with the aluminium volume knob protector (very doubtful). I would never take off that volume knob protector even if it supposedly fixed this issue, it's too important to me. That volume knob snags on my jeans pocket with impressive consistency unless I use the protector.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #8,713 of 9,165

-buzzing ONLY happens if music is playing, even at zero volume

Out of curiousity, are you playing hi-res files or 16-44 CD quality? It's possible the Bluetooth A2DP codec gets mucked up when playing hi-res, and the AK100 might be transmitting audio over Bluetooth when connected, even if it's connected to a non-audio device.

Based on my troubleshooting I have determined that my AK100 bluetooth is defective or does not play nice with the aluminium volume knob protector (very doubtful). I would never take off that volume knob protector even if it supposedly fixed this issue, it's too important to me.

You might try temporarily removing the volume knob protector just to see if it's the cause. No point in chasing around other possibilities if that's it.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #8,714 of 9,165
Happens with 32bit-44/48 .wav, .flac and .alac files also

Meh. I wouldn't even use AK100 without the volume knob protector. That thing is so flimsy and its just lined in little spikes that snag on jeans like it's nobody's business. They fixed that on the Gen2's. I had a piece of aluminium lying around and placed it on the back of the unit. The buzzing gets quieter as opposed to louder. 

I'm gonna test on the demo AK100 at my local headfoneshop before I remove the knob protector from mine =(
As I purchased it in store locally, they might let the owner swap out my unit in store if the issue still happens with knob protector off. I know he'd love to reduce his AK100 stock as he sells the Gen2's now.

Err. I've sort of been looking for an excuse to go balanced via AK100 Gen2 so if I sense any douchebaggery with my AK100 swapping process I might just sell it and tell the buyer about the BT issue. I'm sure most people don't care about that

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #8,715 of 9,165
So, I got the back off. And it was easy with the suction cup. I used one I had around the house used to hold up a mirror. Nothing fancy, just took off the two screws and pulled the back right off. Thanks for the suction cup idea.

So, the battery, unfortunately is wrapped in a lot of tape and paper? The power cables that connects to the unit goes to a small circuit board which is attached to the wrapping around the battery. So, I think I'm going to avoid trying to do it myself. It could get ugly and there's really no marking on the battery wrapping to give me a clue what brand or type it is.

Since I'm going to send it in to RWA for a battery replacement most likely now, I figured I may as well just have them mod it. I was wondering whether to get the S mod which disables the stand-a-lone use and makes it a DAC with a line out along with an upgraded chip or just get the standard mod which gives a more useful output impedance but gives the option of a stand-a-lone. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back