The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 11, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #8,101 of 9,165
  535 is a Shure... Shure and AK100 Mk1 is a horrible match.  Well unless you love mid range suck out.

Another horrible match is the Fitear TG 334. You completely lose the organic bass which is one of the most attractive features of the TG 334. To be fair, I don't hear the same issue with the rest of the Fitear IEMs.

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #8,102 of 9,165
Given your IEM, I'd suggest your options are (in order of preference):-

*The Mk II on it's own; which should be just fine given the lower impedance, but if you possibly can, audition first just in case as I did given the amount of money we're talking about here (we're obviously not talking about blowing 50 bucks on a Clip).

*The Red Wine Audio RWAK100 which is a Mk I with the 22 ohm resistors bypassed & headphone output stage 'rejigged'/'cleaned up' and is ~US$100 more than the Mk II.

*Or even get the Mk I + an external amp (most have extremely low output impedance), you may be able to get a decent amp + the unit for slightly less than the above two options. Depends on whether you want to carry around another bit of kit (which is part of the reason many people buy this device, they don't need to do that).

And it's even possible you might even find you like the sound of your Shure's through the Mk I as is despite there possibly being some issues with changes to their sound (everyone's ears are different) as others have mentioned, but also as mentioned you should be just fine with the Mk II. So if you can audition either/both first with your IEM's, I strongly recommend you do so unless you're happy to possibly sell at a small loss if you're not happy.

FWIW I auditioned both before buying, and much preferred (and bought) the Mk II for my triple driver custom IEM's.

Okay, now I'm confused. As Solude said above: "Westone and AK100 mk1... heaven, Shure and the mk1... death".

Please advise, thanks!

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #8,103 of 9,165

Another horrible match is the Fitear TG 334. You completely lose the organic bass which is one of the most attractive features of the TG 334. To be fair, I don't hear the same issue with the rest of the Fitear IEMs.

Pretty strange though, since I really like the partere with the ak100 , and the 222 and 333 , but yeah not the 334. AK100 is pretty choosy in picking out synergy

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #8,104 of 9,165
Yeah, that output impedance can effect for better or worse sometimes.

I always aim for a <1 output impedance (ie Red Wine Mod) so I am just hearing the earphone as intended / designed. Otherwise it can get really tricky where you love an earphone from one device, but can't stand it with another...

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #8,105 of 9,165
This is helpful, thanks!

Quote:
Given your IEM, I'd suggest your options are (in order of preference):-

*The Mk II on it's own; which should be just fine given the lower impedance, but if you possibly can, audition first just in case as I did given the amount of money we're talking about here (we're obviously not talking about blowing 50 bucks on a Clip).

*The Red Wine Audio RWAK100 which is a Mk I with the 22 ohm resistors bypassed & headphone output stage 'rejigged'/'cleaned up' and is ~US$100 more than the Mk II.

*Or even get the Mk I + an external amp (most have extremely low output impedance), you may be able to get a decent amp + the unit for slightly less than the above two options. Depends on whether you want to carry around another bit of kit (which is part of the reason many people buy this device, they don't need to do that).

And it's even possible you might even find you like the sound of your Shure's through the Mk I as is despite there possibly being some issues with changes to their sound (everyone's ears are different) as others have mentioned, but also as mentioned you should be just fine with the Mk II. So if you can audition either/both first with your IEM's, I strongly recommend you do so unless you're happy to possibly sell at a small loss if you're not happy.

FWIW I auditioned both before buying, and much preferred (and bought) the Mk II for my triple driver custom IEM's.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #8,106 of 9,165
Pretty strange though, since I really like the partere with the ak100 , and the 222 and 333 , but yeah not the 334. AK100 is pretty choosy in picking out synergy

Indeed! It works nicely the 435, MH334 and 333. Just not the TG334. Oh well. Can't have it all. :)

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #8,107 of 9,165
Guy, i dropped my gold Ak100 in the carpark yesterday and found that as well as having a scratch on the volume knob, the volume control is now hit or miss. Its fine if i turn slowly, but gets skipply if i got fast. Does any know where i can get it fixed? I am located in Australia and there isn't a repair center here.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #8,108 of 9,165
Indeed! It works nicely the 435, MH334 and 333. Just not the TG334. Oh well. Can't have it all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Plus one to this! I totally agree.

In anyway, the sound sig of the TG334 doesnt appeal to me at all; i dislike it. HOWEVER, I find the MH334 with my AK100 Gold synergise well for some awkward reason.

Guy, i dropped my gold Ak100 in the carpark yesterday and found that as well as having a scratch on the volume knob, the volume control is now hit or miss. Its fine if i turn slowly, but gets skipply if i got fast.

I feel you, mate. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #8,109 of 9,165
Plus one to this! I totally agree.

In anyway, the sound sig of the TG334 doesnt appeal to me at all; i dislike it. HOWEVER, I find the MH334 with my AK100 Gold synergise well for some awkward reason.

Ah... That's not surprising. If what the AK rep at Mook says is true, the AK100 gold is still the same as the MK1 AK100, save for the snazzy color. Glad it works well with your MH334; I have mine running with the wonderful BW. :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #8,110 of 9,165
Guy, i dropped my gold Ak100 in the carpark yesterday and found that as well as having a scratch on the volume knob, the volume control is now hit or miss. Its fine if i turn slowly, but gets skipply if i got fast. Does any know where i can get it fixed? I am located in Australia and there isn't a repair center here.

Ouch!! Sorry to hear!

You might want to get in touch with Addicted to Audio or Minidisc.com.au - they are 2 local (i.e. Australian) retailers who might know more about service options.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #8,111 of 9,165
Ah... That's not surprising. If what the AK rep at Mook says is true, the AK100 gold is still the same as the MK1 AK100, save for the snazzy color. Glad it works well with your MH334; I have mine running with the wonderful BW.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just to be clear, i had a brief audition of the MH334. I don't own it. hahaha!

Anyway, like many pages ago, between the MK 1s, I still find my Gold sounded different from the default Black AK100.

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #8,112 of 9,165

Ouch!! Sorry to hear!

You might want to get in touch with Addicted to Audio or Minidisc.com.au - they are 2 local (i.e. Australian) retailers who might know more about service options.

Thanks for the heads up. I have already contacted minidisc and they said there is no repair center in Australia at all. I am trying to reach out to iriver Korea via the HK reseller.... seems like a lot of trouble......... sign.....=(

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #8,113 of 9,165
It is so strange on charging my AK100 MK2 with a Samsung micro-USB 700mAh charger....
I power off my AK100 and plug in the charger, then after a few hours, it keep charging. but when I unplug it and re-plug, it showed charged

May I know how you guys to charge your AK100? with your computer USB?

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #8,114 of 9,165
It is so strange on charging my AK100 MK2 with a Samsung micro-USB 700mAh charger....
I power off my AK100 and plug in the charger, then after a few hours, it keep charging. but when I unplug it and re-plug, it showed charged

May I know how you guys to charge your AK100? with your computer USB?

1A Huawei USB charger here, no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back