The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 24, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #8,056 of 9,165
Pls turn off that capslock , I actually like the AK 100 STOCK better than my dx 50 , the sound is smoother and is actually much much more pleasing for me to actually listen for longer sessions

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #8,057 of 9,165
Hi all. Hoping from a little advice please

New to this forum, just acquired my AK100, mk1 with 22ohm impedance on headphone out.
I'd like a little advice when it comes to iems, sadly don't have the budget for customs or ie800, and want to use it unamped.

I have been considering the following, if anyone has any opinions that would be greatly appreciated.

Klipsch Image X10 (50 ohms)
B&W C5 (32 ohms)
Martin Logan Mikros 70 (22 ohms)

I'm at a loss as the iems I own are both low impedance, 16 ohms, and to my ears they struggle with the AK100.

Please help me, as I'm getting very confused and really want to enjoy my AK100.
Thanks in advance.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #8,058 of 9,165
First I can't think of any speaker maker that makes an IEM you'd want to own.  Second low impedance isn't the problem, it's impedance swing or rather large variations in the impedance curve that make high impedance amps and headphones a mismatch.  It's just that iems tend to have more wild curves than full sized dynamics.  Another point is that in some cases a high impedance corrects for a design flaw.  Westone iems for instance balance out nicely on high output impedance.  Shure tend to have their midrange sucked out.  Etymotic get brighter.  You really need to look at their impedance curve and frequency response to get a feel for what the result will be.  As an fyi, dynamic iems tend to have flat curves and won't be affected by the output at all.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #8,059 of 9,165
First I can't think of any speaker maker that makes an IEM you'd want to own.  Second low impedance isn't the problem, it's impedance swing or rather large variations in the impedance curve that make high impedance amps and headphones a mismatch.  It's just that iems tend to have more wild curves than full sized dynamics.  Another point is that in some cases a high impedance corrects for a design flaw.  Westone iems for instance balance out nicely on high output impedance.  Shure tend to have their midrange sucked out.  Etymotic get brighter.  You really need to look at their impedance curve and frequency response to get a feel for what the result will be.  As an fyi, dynamic iems tend to have flat curves and won't be affected by the output at all.

Thanks for the advice, sadly I'm really new to all this, and don't really understand the technicalities to all this. I was hoping someone may know how my possible choices may fare with my AK100.
Tempted by the Martin Logan's, and the B&W C5s . Just thought someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #8,060 of 9,165
Thanks for the advice, sadly I'm really new to all this, and don't really understand the technicalities to all this. I was hoping someone may know how my possible choices may fare with my AK100.
Tempted by the Martin Logan's, and the B&W C5s . Just thought someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

As per @Solude's post, you're best to stick with dynamic driver IEMs rather than balanced armature IEMs. I don't know the models you're referring to well enough to know what driver types they use, but if you look at the specs of the IEMs you're interested in, they should all list the driver type(s). Try to stick with a single dynamic driver rather than BA, multiple BA, or hybrid (dynamic + BA) models.

Some examples of good dynamic driver IEMs are the VSonic GR07s, HiFiMan Re series, etc.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #8,061 of 9,165

KEF! M200!

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #8,062 of 9,165
Hi all. Hoping from a little advice please

New to this forum, just acquired my AK100, mk1 with 22ohm impedance on headphone out.
I'd like a little advice when it comes to iems, sadly don't have the budget for customs or ie800, and want to use it unamped.

I have been considering the following, if anyone has any opinions that would be greatly appreciated.

Klipsch Image X10 (50 ohms)
B&W C5 (32 ohms)
Martin Logan Mikros 70 (22 ohms)

I'm at a loss as the iems I own are both low impedance, 16 ohms, and to my ears they struggle with the AK100.

Please help me, as I'm getting very confused and really want to enjoy my AK100.
Thanks in advance.

Here are few I iems that I really like with AK100.
BA200:really really good iem, one of the best universals, along with $300+iems. Best iem under $300 technically.(imo)
MDR-7550: Doesn't isolate much, but very fun and rich sound. Best bass(not most, but best) iem under $500.
GR07: Great overall contender with nothing lacking.
W4: Little bit of treble gets added with AK100, which is pretty good for me.
UE900: Superb(believe it or not) with AK100. It balances the tone out, making it even more like the UERM.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #8,064 of 9,165
Stock AK100 can go well only with Dynamic Driver
We all know that most of best top hi-end IEM are using BA Driver!
So why we have to spend about 600 usd for a Hi-end DAP like AK100 and it can only go well only with Dynamic Driver (Low-end IEM) ? I suggest waiting for X5 OR DX9 instead !

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #8,065 of 9,165
The original AK100 was designed for use with full sized cans.  The AK120 and AK100 mk2 are iem friendly.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #8,066 of 9,165
So why we have to spend about 600 usd for a Hi-end DAP like AK100 and it can only go well only with Dynamic Driver (Low-end IEM) ? I suggest waiting for X5 OR DX9 instead !

You can get the AK100 mk2, which addresses the high output impedance issue.   BTW, i listen to fitear 334 on my ak100 all the time.  Some bass roll off but still better than most other headphones.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #8,067 of 9,165

BS. BA200 is wonderful with AK100 and so is UE900. Also, AK100 was meant to be for full sized from what I recall.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #8,068 of 9,165

I have a feeling from your only 2 posts in this thread, you are very critical of this device.
Although I respect your opinion, it is getting redundant.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #8,069 of 9,165
Hello, all!
I couldn't find any info on this with thread search - does anyone of you find the line out (via headphone out) on AK100 inferior to other players or full-sized sources?
I tried using AK100 as source for my amplifier and preamp/amp combo, and the results were dissapointing with boring sound and no emotional connection to music.
The same output sound spectacular in headphones. And when I tried the friend's Colorfly (the wooden one), it sounded very nice serving as source for the amplifer .
Does this relate to anyone's experiece as well, and what may be the reason for AK100 to sound bad as a line source?

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #8,070 of 9,165
Hello, all!
I couldn't find any info on this with thread search - does anyone of you find the line out (via headphone out) on AK100 inferior to other players or full-sized sources?
I tried using AK100 as source for my amplifier and preamp/amp combo, and the results were dissapointing with boring sound and no emotional connection to music.
The same output sound spectacular in headphones. And when I tried the friend's Colorfly (the wooden one), it sounded very nice serving as source for the amplifer .
Does this relate to anyone's experiece as well, and what may be the reason for AK100 to sound bad as a line source?

Did you set the volume to max? I like AK100's line out more then sony walkman's line out and my CDP's line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back