The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 9, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #7,981 of 9,165
We have two Onkyo receives in my house that I have used the optical out on my AK100 with. The older one cannot play anything over 24/96, whereas the newer one plays everything. If you are running the ak100 optical out through a receiver/device that is a little bit older (Onkyo receiver that can't play is about 6-7 years old) it may not play. 

care to share pics of your ak100 running through your onkyo?
I have an onkyo a/v receiver as well but unable to find an optical in port in the receiver. Had to use a RCA straight from the AK100 HO to my sunfire amp in the end.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #7,982 of 9,165
As requested (Sorry for the poor quality):

Here is manufacturer picture which shows the digital in located at the bottom right:

http://moviezine.se/bloggar/sweetspot/files/2009/08/onkyo_tx-nr807_2.jpg

If you want more pictures I can do that, but my camera is only a small point-and-shoot and I would have to take multiple pictures to show what file it's playing and the text on the receiver showing it's receiving it, etc.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #7,983 of 9,165
As requested (Sorry for the poor quality):

Here is manufacturer picture which shows the digital in located at the bottom right:

http://moviezine.se/bloggar/sweetspot/files/2009/08/onkyo_tx-nr807_2.jpg

If you want more pictures I can do that, but my camera is only a small point-and-shoot and I would have to take multiple pictures to show what file it's playing and the text on the receiver showing it's receiving it, etc.

ahh thanks!
Which optical cable do you use btw? Any link? :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #7,984 of 9,165
ahh thanks!
Which optical cable do you use btw? Any link?
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, I won't be much help there. I picked it up 5-6 years ago at futureshop to use with my minidisc player so it's a cheapy one. I checked it for a name-brand, but it doesn't have on on the chord. There is a little tag, but it just says to remove protective caps at the end before using it :frowning2: 

Here is a picture with it plugged into my AK100 - maybe you can identify it >.>

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #7,985 of 9,165
Hey guys~

Do anyone find it's much easier to hear distorted/crackling sound after having the original ak100 modified to ak100-s ??
ph34r.gif
..I find it's quite annoying.Thanks

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #7,986 of 9,165
I guess it's a risk of having it modded not by Iriver themselves. I thought for the RWAK mod they have their own warranty? You could just return it if you feel uncomfortable with it.

On the other note, just read the X5 review by Mike and surprised to see a comparison with AK100 came up (with him preferring AK100 overall). The guys on the X5 thread was having a rage period
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #7,987 of 9,165
  I guess it's a risk of having it modded not by Iriver themselves. I thought for the RWAK mod they have their own warranty? You could just return it if you feel uncomfortable with it.

From The Red Wine Audio website:  LINK

RWAK100 Q & A
Q: Do you warranty your modification work?
A: Yes, we warranty the RWAK100 modification for as long as you own it (applies only for the original owner). Note - This excludes any issues unrelated to the modification, such as the battery, LCD, etc., but we still try to offer prompt repair service for such non-warranty items.

Not sure what you mean by "return it"? To RWA? Better ask, but I doubt it. Electronics are seldom returnable unless defective within warranty.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #7,988 of 9,165
Update: got around to trying different combinations of files and devices. I tried files on the AK100 & an iPad (using Ampliflac & a Lightning-USB connector). The DAC shows the 192k & 176k files and the sound is good using the iPad-Ampliflac, the AK100 was fine on 44kHz & below, struggles on 96k files, and seems to output nothing on 192k files. I tried 32Gb & 64Gb cards, no difference.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #7,989 of 9,165

From The Red Wine Audio website:  LINK

RWAK100 Q & A
Q: Do you warranty your modification work?
A: Yes, we warranty the RWAK100 modification for as long as you own it (applies only for the original owner). Note - This excludes any issues unrelated to the modification, such as the battery, LCD, etc., but we still try to offer prompt repair service for such non-warranty items.

Not sure what you mean by "return it"? To RWA? Better ask, but I doubt it. Electronics are seldom returnable unless defective within warranty.

Yes, I meant to return the AK100-S to RWA for repair if the distortion/crackling is caused by defect.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #7,990 of 9,165
OK, have reformatted the card, copied music files back onto the card and it's working again, at the moment.  When formatting I used guiformat but this time I clicked on the 65536 in the volume drop down menu.  Not sure what difference it makes...  Anyway for the purposes of anyone else experiencing this problem with a card I will update in a few days to confirm whether or not this is a long term solution.  Thanks again.

Edit: Did the above 10 days ago and have used AK100 as normal including dragging & dropping files, deleting etc and there have been no problems. Both cards read every time the library scans them.

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #7,991 of 9,165
hi there

I am new to AK100 MKII, I found that it has a problem which unable to recognise one of the TF card slot (I do insert both 2 TF to my AK100), even power it off and still the same problem...

I need to reject it out and re-insert then will ok...

anyone has this problem?

I am using 2 64GB TF in FAT32 format

thanks

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #7,992 of 9,165
  hi there

I am new to AK100 MKII, I found that it has a problem which unable to recognise one of the TF card slot (I do insert both 2 TF to my AK100), even power it off and still the same problem...

I need to reject it out and re-insert then will ok...

anyone has this problem?

I am using 2 64GB TF in FAT32 format

thanks

yes,
this is a common bug with both AK100 and AK120 players. They haven't fixed the firmware :frowning2:

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #7,993 of 9,165
It has been about 3 months since the last firmware update, it shouldn't be too long now hopefully (please fix this 2 cards problem since my first card is starting to fill up).

Also I want to reiterate my want for alphabetical scrolling like what the AK240 UI has. Really hope Iriver incorporate this into the AK100 & AK120.....

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #7,995 of 9,165
  Hey guys~

Do anyone find it's much easier to hear distorted/crackling sound after having the original ak100 modified to ak100-s ??
ph34r.gif
..I find it's quite annoying.Thanks

One thing I have noticed with my ak100 is that if my phone is right next to it or very close to the unit and it receives a text there is crackling / distortion right before the text comes in. After the text displays on my cellphone, the crackling / distortion disappears. Before you send it away it might be worth checking to see if that is the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back