The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 3, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #5,566 of 9,165
I recently contacted iRiver support in Europe with regards to my problem with the AK100 powering up (it will only turn on, if I first connect it to the mains power via the sync cable).

This is their reply:

"It is recommended to use max. 32Gb SD-Cards with AK100. We would suggest you change your 64Gb cards into 32Gb cards from SanDisk and format the device after change."

When they say format the device do they mean hard resett it under the advanced settings?

However Can anybody else comment on this....personally I do not believe it is the SD Cards....because when I have the AK100 turned on it works fine, the cards are recognised and I can find and play all my music on the two cards. I think this is a bit of a lame response?????

I have tried to re-install the 1.33 FW but once again it wont work directly from the iRiver Inc site and when I try to use the Plus 4 software it just says not responding.

I'm really not inclined to reformat my SD cards to and then have to re-transfer all my music across to find that this problem still persists. It really is about time iRiver got their bloody act together!!!!

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #5,567 of 9,165
Can u just take out your cards and see if it works? Then try formatting just the device and try it with no cards if that doesn't work?....that could eliminate if its the cards if the problem persists.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #5,569 of 9,165
Quote:
Can u just take out your cards and see if it works? Then try formatting just the device and try it with no cards if that doesn't work?....that could eliminate if its the cards if the problem persists.

haha  it must be Monday morning......Yes Spadge that would be a logical and easier thing to do in the first instance.

I actually dont have any music on the internal memory at the moment, however it would be easy enough to just add some on and take out the cards and see if the issue persists.

Thanks for that :)

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #5,571 of 9,165
Quote:
I recently contacted iRiver support in Europe with regards to my problem with the AK100 powering up (it will only turn on, if I first connect it to the mains power via the sync cable).

This is their reply:

"It is recommended to use max. 32Gb SD-Cards with AK100. We would suggest you change your 64Gb cards into 32Gb cards from SanDisk and format the device after change."

When they say format the device do they mean hard resett it under the advanced settings?

However Can anybody else comment on this....personally I do not believe it is the SD Cards....because when I have the AK100 turned on it works fine, the cards are recognised and I can find and play all my music on the two cards. I think this is a bit of a lame response?????

I have tried to re-install the 1.33 FW but once again it wont work directly from the iRiver Inc site and when I try to use the Plus 4 software it just says not responding.

I'm really not inclined to reformat my SD cards to and then have to re-transfer all my music across to find that this problem still persists. It really is about time iRiver got their bloody act together!!!!

Technically, 64gb cards are not actually supported for the AK100.  It is just that people have used them with success, but the specs are clear that they only support 32gb cards.   So, it is one of those things that iriver may or may not help you with.

Issues with cards can cause problems with boots and starts though.  What they emailed you could be correct.   I had a hifiman dap that would sometimes not start with a card inserted - even though it would read the card fine once it started.  The problem you are having could theoretically be related to the card.  The easiest way to test and verify - rather than speculate - is to just try to start the device without cards inserted.

Also, there are actually two sites to download the software:

http://www.iriver.com/support/download_list.asp
and
http://www.iriverinc.com/lounge/loungeList.asp

If one doesn't work, try the other.  Also, try switching browsers.  Unfortunately, not all browsers work equally well on the same sites.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #5,572 of 9,165
Quote:
Technically, 64gb cards are not actually supported for the AK100.  It is just that people have used them with success, but the specs are clear that they only support 32gb cards.   So, it is one of those things that iriver may or may not help you with.

Issues with cards can cause problems with boots and starts though.  What they emailed you could be correct.   I had a hifiman dap that would sometimes not start with a card inserted - even though it would read the card fine once it started.  The problem you are having could theoretically be related to the card.  The easiest way to test and verify - rather than speculate - is to just try to start the device without cards inserted.

Also, there are actually two sites to download the software:

http://www.iriver.com/support/download_list.asp
and
http://www.iriverinc.com/lounge/loungeList.asp

If one doesn't work, try the other.  Also, try switching browsers.  Unfortunately, not all browsers work equally well on the same sites.

Thanks for that.....

I have actually taken out the SD Cards and just using Internal memory and it starts no problem.

I am now in the process of reformatting the SD Cards to 32Gb (I assume this will work?)....Can you confirm if it needs to be FAT32 if I am reformatting to 32GB?

I will see if this solves the problems once the cards are re-inserted...but it sounds as though it may be the cards that are causing the issues? I hope so anyway :)

After owning this for two weeks, it will be nice to have it running without any issues and glitches.

Thanks for the Advise

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #5,573 of 9,165
Is it possible to re-format 64GB Cards to 32GB for them to work in the AK100.

Is this possible and will it work or do I need to purchase two new 32Gb Cards??

When I try and format the cards it still shows them as being 64Gb?

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #5,574 of 9,165
Quote:

What issues are you having? Did you format the card to FAT32 using GUI Formater? Also make sure when you delete files from the card after formatting it you actually delete the files from the folder opposed to formatting the card. If not you revert the filesystem back to exFAT. I did this before and was really pissed to find my 64 GB cards weren't working.... Personally I'm reverting back to 32 GB cards just due to the sound quality improvements (I know I'm crazy lol).
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #5,575 of 9,165
Quote:

Just to be clear: There is no difference when you Format a card weither it's 32 GB or 64 GB. The difference is the type of format. 64 GB SDXC cards come pre-formatted in exFAT, 32 GB SD cards come pre-formatted in FAT32. Different format type. Devices made for 32 GB max SDHC cards are unable to read exFAT cards like the 64GB SDXC. But, you can re-format your 64 GB SDXC card to FAT32 and then it will work fine in the "32 GB Max" device.

"32 GB Max" just means the device can only read the FAT32 format. Once a 64 GB (or larger card) is re-formatted to FAT32 it can used just fine....usually  :wink:

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #5,577 of 9,165
Quote:
That is weird. I am using a 64gb card and I have no problem with booting up. Formatted in fat32 since day 1 and it has worked like a charm.

Yeah personally I dont think its the 64GB cards that are the problem....I think its the AK100...possibly a faulty on/off switch or battery. It will switch on and off OK for a couple of times, but if I then leave it say overnight and try and switch it on the next day it wont turn on, unless I connect it to the mains, then it works straight away.

I cant see how a 64GB card ould cause the system not to turn on...bt hey ho, what do I know 
blink.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #5,578 of 9,165
Quote:

Just to be clear: There is no difference when you Format a card weither it's 32 GB or 64 GB. The difference is the type of format. 64 GB SDXC cards come pre-formatted in exFAT, 32 GB SD cards come pre-formatted in FAT32. Different format type. Devices made for 32 GB max SDHC cards are unable to read exFAT cards like the 64GB SDXC. But, you can re-format your 64 GB SDXC card to FAT32 and then it will work fine in the "32 GB Max" device.

"32 GB Max" just means the device can only read the FAT32 format. Once a 64 GB (or larger card) is re-formatted to FAT32 it can used just fine....usually  :wink:

This is the problem though mate,

I reformatted both my 64Gb cards to FAT32 and loaded all my music onto them......the AK100 recognises the cards and the music in the folders and will play all the music without a problem.

However I am having a problem where I am having to connect the AK100 to the mains to get it to turn on. iRiver have told me it is possibly because the cards are 64Gb and the AK100 only supports Cards of a maximum 32Gb size.

However if I remove the cards and try and start the AK100 it still wont turn on without connecting the AK100 to the mains via the sync cable.

Infuriating to say the least!!!

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #5,579 of 9,165
Quote:
This is the problem though mate,

I reformatted both my 64Gb cards to FAT32 and loaded all my music onto them......the AK100 recognises the cards and the music in the folders and will play all the music without a problem.

However I am having a problem where I am having to connect the AK100 to the mains to get it to turn on. iRiver have told me it is possibly because the cards are 64Gb and the AK100 only supports Cards of a maximum 32Gb size.

However if I remove the cards and try and start the AK100 it still wont turn on without connecting the AK100 to the mains via the sync cable.

Infuriating to say the least!!!

I believe the problem lies with your AK100. You may need to send it for servicing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back