The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #2,761 of 9,165
Quote:
Hey!

With my MH335DW the AK100 soundstage seems small, and (for visualization's sake) just a small square in front of you. The RWAK on the other hand is a completely different story as it envelops you with its soundstage.

Hi

Thanks for the comment. So I guess MH335DW are very similar to UE18 Pro, right? And I'll experience a similar positive effect if I use them with the RWAK? That would bring me back to this DAP, as besides the SQ of stock AK100 with my CIEM, I liked all other features (size, 2 microSD slots, UI) very much!

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2,762 of 9,165
Hey guys, I have my AK100 now, ordering my Tzar 350s tomorrow :)

Quick question though, the volume control on mine has an awful lot of give on it. It seems kind of loose! Is that the same for everyone? Or is mine duff?

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #2,763 of 9,165
Probably not, others incl. myself have commented on this. Unless the (on-screen) volume adjustment does not precisely respond to your turns of the control in either direction, it should be OK.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2,764 of 9,165
I have had an Ak100 for about two weeks now and like it a good deal. It's currently up for sale but I'm having second thoughts and am seriously considering getting the RWAK100 modification. I've read lots of impressions here of the RWAK100 (plus some comparisons with the stock) so I think it might be a worthwhile switch. If anyone who's listened to both and hasn't written impressions yet, I'd love to read them.

But I was also wondering if anyone has used the RWAK100 as a USB DAC and compared the performance with the AK100? I figure that low output impedance isn't as important when hooking up to an amp instead of headphones, but I thought I'd ask if anyone did any tests of this function?

thanks

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #2,765 of 9,165
I think I found a work around for the library scan crash issue.  When I copy files to the AK and try to scan immediately, it would often require more than one attempt to get it right - crashing one or two times.  However, if I turn it off and restart, the scan runs perfectly the first time.   This has worked two consecutive times now.  Fingers crossed.

In any case, if you have had trouble with scans, you might want to try turning it off and then back on before running a scan.

I suspect that there might be a driver conflict or memory issue from using the usb connection.

I hope this works for you guys.  Let me know if it does or not.  We can determine how effective this is in addressing this problem.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #2,766 of 9,165
How many people are having this scanning problem ? I am not really paying attention too much.
Are you guys using multiple 64gb cards or just 32 ? The size has to be an issue, iriver still says 32gb cards only right ?
I know multiple people have used 64gb cards, but maybe that's what is causing the bug.

Are you guys having issues only when you add alot of new content, or is it happening all the time ?
What class are the cards you are using ?

I still have not had an issue, and I am using 2 32gb cards now. Is 96gb not enough ?

Just curious if this is a brought on issue by a select few individual users (64gb cards ? Maybe ?) or if it is a real bug.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #2,768 of 9,165
Quote:
I have had an Ak100 for about two weeks now and like it a good deal. It's currently up for sale but I'm having second thoughts and am seriously considering getting the RWAK100 modification. I've read lots of impressions here of the RWAK100 (plus some comparisons with the stock) so I think it might be a worthwhile switch. If anyone who's listened to both and hasn't written impressions yet, I'd love to read them.

But I was also wondering if anyone has used the RWAK100 as a USB DAC and compared the performance with the AK100? I figure that low output impedance isn't as important when hooking up to an amp instead of headphones, but I thought I'd ask if anyone did any tests of this function?

thanks

From what I have read from a JP review that it can't be used as USB DAC.

http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/296384375.html

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #2,769 of 9,165
can I ask here - what are the best headphones which it can work well without additional portable amp? maybe some list which are the best phones for AK?

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #2,770 of 9,165
Quote:
I am using 2 x 64Gb cards (SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1) without any problems. I write them outside the AK100 and do a manual library scan.

Interesting.   I am using 1x64 (same card as you).   I didn't have many problems scanning until i started writing to the ak's internal memory using usb connection.   This might actually confirm that the issue is related to the usb drivers or service.  I am guessing that when the usb service is started it probably does not completely shut down when disconnected.   Either the service is causing a conflict or takes up too much memory and might be leading to a crash when trying a scan right after using the usb connection.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #2,771 of 9,165
Quote:
How many people are having this scanning problem ? I am not really paying attention too much.
Are you guys using multiple 64gb cards or just 32 ? The size has to be an issue, iriver still says 32gb cards only right ?
I know multiple people have used 64gb cards, but maybe that's what is causing the bug.

Are you guys having issues only when you add alot of new content, or is it happening all the time ?
What class are the cards you are using ?

I still have not had an issue, and I am using 2 32gb cards now. Is 96gb not enough ?

Just curious if this is a brought on issue by a select few individual users (64gb cards ? Maybe ?) or if it is a real bug.

There have been inconsistent issues with scanning.  Some people have had a lot of problems; some have had minor ones.   I think the 64gb cards can contribute to the problem because having a lot of music might require a lot of memory to build the database.  However, the cards themselves do not seem to be an issue because they often work without problems, but others time they do not.  I think I recall hearing about people having problems with smaller cards too.

Right now, from some of the responses I have read so far to my post, it seems like the crash only happens if you are trying to scan after you have connected using usb.  Just guessing though and could be wrong about this.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2,772 of 9,165
Quote:
There have been inconsistent issues with scanning.  Some people have had a lot of problems; some have had minor ones.   I think the 64gb cards can contribute to the problem because having a lot of music might require a lot of memory to build the database.  However, the cards themselves do not seem to be an issue because they often work without problems, but others time they do not.  I think I recall hearing about people having problems with smaller cards too.

Right now, from some of the responses I have read so far to my post, it seems like the crash only happens if you are trying to scan after you have connected using usb.  Just guessing though and could be wrong about this.

I didn't have any major issues with my 64 GB card filled with FLAC files and it actually loaded pretty fast. I think the issue is in your tags. All of my tags also showed album art so I didn't have that issue when I had the unit either.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #2,773 of 9,165
Quote:
can I ask here - what are the best headphones which it can work well without additional portable amp? maybe some list which are the best phones for AK?

I asked a similar question about a week ago and I got these recommendations:

jh13
ie800
westone 4r

On the lower end, I think the hifiman 262, he400, fischer audio tandem sound pretty good for the price, but obviously are not as good as the more expensive options in the above list. The IE800 seems to have a lot of support here, but they cost 1K and are very difficult to find. Crutchfield has them on pre-order but is not scheduled to be shipped until April 15th - not guaranteed either.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #2,774 of 9,165
Quote:
I didn't have any major issues with my 64 GB card filled with FLAC files and it actually loaded pretty fast. I think the issue is in your tags. All of my tags also showed album art so I didn't have that issue when I had the unit either.

If it were an issue with the tags, it would seem like it should crash every time I run the scan.  Right now, if I restart the AK, the scan runs correctly with the exact same content.

Do you remember if you wrote to your card directly using your computer or by connecting your AK to your computer and writing to the card through the usb connection to the DAP?

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #2,775 of 9,165
Quote:
If it were an issue with the tags, it would seem like it should crash every time I run the scan.  Right now, if I restart the AK, the scan runs correctly with the exact same content.

Do you remember if you wrote to your card directly using your computer or by connecting your AK to your computer and writing to the card through the usb connection to the DAP?

I think for the 64 GB card I used the SD card reader. But I also had a 32 GB card that I thought I did the transfer directly on the AK100 and it didn't give me such issues....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back