The new iMac rocks!
Aug 31, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #46 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Marijuana and Mescaline are illegal in most parts of the world. Better stop while you're still outside the slammer.

rolleyes.gif

Wow 5 posts and you manage to come up with some BS like that
eggosmile.gif

Wouldn't the pot and mescaline help the iPod look infinitely more interesting?

Of course, it's a rhetorical question... I wouldn't know...
biggrin.gif

BTW, that's a pretty funny sig, gsferrari!

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #49 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuja
What like

Girl: Oh wow I love that thing, it's so pretty
chrisczarra: Yeah it's my new G5. It has 256mb of ram, a gefo...
Girl: Uh yeah that's great
plainface.gif
hey I was wondering if you could do this report for me?
chrisczarra: umm sure, I guess

biggrin.gif

Well, ain't nothing wrong if it pleases the ladies.
biggrin.gif

But even if the case designs do not always approach the beautiful, they are striking and stand out. I really like the appearance of the G5, I really do not think any other computer manufacturer comes close to Apple's designs.

Aug 31, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #50 of 151
I own an ibook, and was hoping this new imac would replace my pc and make me a pure user, but it just didn't push the right buttons. I think most macs look good and I personally think that most macs are just as good and many times better than their pc counterparts. This Imac is fairly ugly in my opinion, that wasted space below the lcd gets to me for some reason. It really only fullfills the needs of apple's corprate buyers. If I'm just looking at the present price, sure it's competitive, at least until I look at what you get.

The two obvious one's are in order the 256MB of ram and the GeforceFX 5200 Ultra. OS X needs more ram to feel as snappy as an pc with the same amount of ram, even mac users admit that. As a medium weight game player, I don't need top of the line graphics, but I would expect an evolutionary increase of a part that was already known to be slow. This aspect alone was what scared me away first.

Then there's the price. You have to get applecare because a 90 day parts warranty is not enough for an integrated computer like the imac. I'm working from the middle model 17" 1.8GHz. If you include an additional 256MB of ram and the applecare warranty, it comes out to 1,743, which is about what I would pay for an uber pc.

Even If I didn't play games, this computer lacks the punch I need for my everyday computing needs.

Aug 31, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #51 of 151
i'm a Mac guy...love 'em. my TiBook that's over 3 years old still looks better than any other PC laptop out there...it's getting harder to run the newer stuff, but still chugs on. still have the original 233 mHz iMac that runs Panther (6+ years) pretty well...when you look at price, let's also consider how long the computer will last and how it will (or won't) be able to run the latest OS (any 233 pentiums running XP?)

the new iMac suffers from 256 mb ram and substandard graphics card. otherwise, most of the specs are what you might expect from a mid-level CONSUMER computer, not to be confused with a PRO or GAMING computer, which come with different specs for obvious reasons.

i think the new iMac and most of the macs in general are pretty competitive with COMPARABLE PCs in terms of price...let's not compare the new iMac (or any other product) with the base, cheapest stuff you can get from dell...it's like comparing a DIY head amp with cheap parts with more expensive offerings from Ray Samuels...they're not the same thing and each has its own strengths/weaknesses...you wouldn't question why someone would want the new sr-71 when he/she could build their own amp for a tenth of the price...would you?

don't hate macs "just because"...they work well, have the best OS, and have a lot to offer. if it doesn't fit with what you want/need in a computer, that's fine...i wouldn't criticize a gaming computer just because it can't run some of the software i want it to run...i know what it's for, and that's fine.

and yes, apple has somewhere b/n a 3-5% marketshare...and yes, i want to KEEP IT THAT WAY! i don't want an uber-popular computer that will unleash the wrath of crazy virus-writers...i like being different...i like bashing on M$ and devil boy Gates...i like the care and attention to detail that apple offers...being in the minority has its privileges. END RANT

Aug 31, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #52 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
it's getting harder to run the newer stuff, but still chugs on. still have the original 233 mHz iMac that runs Panther (6+ years) pretty well...when you look at price, let's also consider how long the computer will last and how it will (or won't) be able to run the latest OS (any 233 pentiums running XP?)

Thing is the Apple philosphily doesn't really want you to upgrade but get a new computer. You speak of the original 233mhz iMac which doesn't accelerate OSX graphically. I had a 400mhz one and I thought Panther was insane slow on it. My Pentium 133mhz with Windows 2000 fairs much better. I can easily add firewire, usb, another graphics card, etc. in my old computer. The apple 3rd party upgrade market isn't very big and it's expensive.

Aug 31, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #53 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Thing is the Apple philosphily doesn't really want you to upgrade but get a new computer. You speak of the original 233mhz iMac which doesn't accelerate OSX graphically. I had a 400mhz one and I thought Panther was insane slow on it. My Pentium 133mhz with Windows 2000 fairs much better. I can easily add firewire, usb, another graphics card, etc. in my old computer. The apple 3rd party upgrade market isn't very big and it's expensive.

i think you're right about this...but similarly, microsoft builds its stuff so that you HAVE to upgrade all the time. if you're constantly upgrading to keep up, what's the use? sure, you have the OPTION of doing it (and if that's all you want, then i can't argue with that), but give me something FOR HOME CONSUMER USE that can last 5-6 years, able to keep up with the newest OS, and i think it may be a better investment in the long run. i'm not positive, but maybe. panther doesn't run as fast on my 233 iMac as it does on the newer G5s...and i can't take advantage of some advanced graphics stuff and some applications... but at least i can run it, use the very powerful apache server and unix features in osx, run cool applications like itunes, iphoto, office2004, etc. use expose and other panther-only features...with the feature-set and system requirements being touted for longhorn, you're going to have to buy a new computer anyway...you're running win2000 on a 133 pentium, but that's my point exactly-you're forced to run win2000! and we know how crappy win2000 is.

sure, i wish that more of the components were easier to upgrade...i don't like that i can't upgrade my 8mb video card in my laptop, but i know that's what i'm getting. so we apple people are always looking out for buying timetables - when is a good time to buy? when did the last upgrade come out? is there a new model coming out soon? it's a different game than most PC people play, but that's the choice we make.

Aug 31, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #54 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
but similarly, microsoft builds its stuff so that you HAVE to upgrade all the time. if you're constantly upgrading to keep up, what's the use?

sure, you have the OPTION of doing it (and if that's all you want, then i can't argue with that), but give me something FOR HOME CONSUMER USE that can last 5-6 years, able to keep up with the newest OS

but that's my point exactly-you're forced to run win2000! and we know how crappy win2000 is.

I have not been forced to upgrade anything with Microsoft. I am not forced to run Windows 2000 on my Pentium 133. I don't use WinXP on there because it eats more memory. I have only 48MB in there and you can't live with 48MB of memory in OSX either.

If all you're doing is simple home use, you don't need to upgrade anything unless you start to use programs that need it. Going from OS9 to OSX was a hassle because people needed to upgrade software AND hardware. There's no latest version of iTunes with the store for OS9 I believe so some people like my friend with iPod and OS9 were out of luck.

Windows 2000 is just fine. For home users there's not much distinction between OSes as long as things get done.

Aug 31, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #55 of 151
you could be right about the laptops, never been into those and dont know much about them.

Quote:

but give me something FOR HOME CONSUMER USE that can last 5-6 years

case in point : the athlon K7 mahcine i built back in 99 is still going strong. i ended up giving it to my sister, but not cuz it felt sluggish. 750@950 hardmodded + 512mb sdram + gf1 ddr. not really a stellar performer in the newest games, yet runs most of windows apps just fine and probably will continue to server her well for 1-2 more years.

the problem people in the know are fully aware dells dont use the best parts and charge you an outrageous amounts of money (unless you find some deal like the 400sc one, even then the parts are far from the best). comparing them to apples is not 'apples to apples' per se. why would you buy dells if you were given a choice to build something much higher quality for less $$$? with apple you really cant help going with a vendor computer, i might look into apples once they start selling seperate parts. to sum it up, to say apples look cool is one thing; to say they compare well in terms of bang-for-buck is either blatantly misleading or uneducated at best.

Quote:

I don't use WinXP on there because it eats more memory

correct me if i am worng, but with the lastest patches applied (not sure about SP2, it just came out you know) winNT and XP are about the same from what i heard and noticed. just turn off unnecessary services with services.msc.

Aug 31, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #56 of 151
Even if money were no object, it's raw performance for me. I need the extra edge that PC's give me for Photoshop and Painter. Mac's have always been behind the edge of the performance curve. Mac benchmarks have continually used Photoshop benchmarks as a crutch, but if you ask the top people in the Photoshop development team at Adobe, you may be surprised to find out that they use PC's.

As for Apple's Industrial Design, they are seriously falling into rehash city. They need a new design direction, I think they are taking for granted that people will dry hump their products if they make them white and wrap them in clear acrylic.

-Ed

Aug 31, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #57 of 151
We have 200 Macs in this building that I'm sitting in now as well as some other computers. We buy Macs because they get the job done fast and efficiently and offer great return on investment. This business wouldn't waste money on looks. They are cheaper than the Windows equivalent in our experience because they get the job done and we don't worry about viruses, etc.

The amount of ignorance and mis-information seen in this thread doesn't surprise me. I could comfortably refute just about every negative said in this thread but it would only spur you guys on. Get a life and realise that there are different products for different markets. If I would have said the lastest BMW rocks, you wouldn't be listing some parts and saying how you could build your own car cheaper. You guys seem so defensive that I wonder about why you behave in such an imature way, as if you had been offended, and you don't look at products objectively. I have no affiliation with Apple products and would change to anything else but we choose to use a lot of Apple products because they get the job done in a better way than anything else on the market.

If you don't have anything intelligent to add to a thread then shut up or you are showing that your opinions, about headphones too, cannot be trusted due to your lack of objectivity and understanding.

Seriously, anyone would think I just dissed your HD 650's, or whatever, so you pick out uninformed misconceptions about Grado. It doesn't make sense.

Aug 31, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #58 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
The amount of ignorance and mis-information seen in this thread doesn't surprise me. I could comfortably refute just about every negative said in this thread but it would only spur you guys on. Get a life and realise that there are different products for different markets. If I would have said the lastest BMW rocks, you wouldn't be listing some parts and saying how you could build your own car cheaper. You guys seem so defensive that I wonder about why you behave in such an imature way, as if you had been offended, and you don't look at products objectively. I have no affiliation with Apple products and would change to anything else but we choose to use a lot of Apple products because they get the job done in a better way than anything else on the market.

If you don't have anything intelligent to add to a thread then shut up or you are showing that your opinions, about headphones too, cannot be trusted due to your lack of objectivity and understanding.

Kettle.......calling.......pot.......
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Aug 31, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #59 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
the problem people in the know are fully aware dells dont use the best parts and charge you an outrageous amounts of money (unless you find some deal like the 400sc one, even then the parts are far from the best). comparing them to apples is not 'apples to apples' per se. why would you buy dells if you were given a choice to build something much higher quality for less $$$? with apple you really cant help going with a vendor computer, i might look into apples once they start selling seperate parts. to sum it up, to say apples look cool is one thing; to say they compare well in terms of bang-for-buck is either blatantly misleading or uneducated at best.

i've never thought dells were "the best"...but many people would buy a dell rather than build their own because they don't know how to build one or they'd rather not take the time to do it. that's not hard to figure out. i'd rather buy a headphone amp or have someone make me one because i don't know how to build it myself. i could learn, but i don't have the time. that's not a problem with the hardware, it's a problem with having the know-how to build one.

sure, you can build a DIY that's better and much cheaper...but we apple folk just don't have that luxury. all we can do it comparison-shop, look for specials, and do the best we can. and even though you might disagree, i think apple's bang for buck is pretty close to comparable systems you buy from most PC manufacturers. some areas are not as good, some better. maybe not every apple product, but many of them...i actually think the eMac is apple's best consumer product out there.

Quote:

Even if money were no object, it's raw performance for me. I need the extra edge that PC's give me for Photoshop and Painter. Mac's have always been behind the edge of the performance curve. Mac benchmarks have continually used Photoshop benchmarks as a crutch, but if you ask the top people in the Photoshop development team at Adobe, you may be surprised to find out that they use PC's.

ummm, no, that doesn't surprise me. but the difference is a matter of seconds, and that surely cannot be the sole reason for choosing one system - a few seconds. even steve job's pixar uses linux machines for their animation rendering...he knows what's faster.

look, i know that PCs have their uses and they're needed in many businesses and homes...i'm not saying that apple doesn't have its shortcomings...but for me and a lot of other people out there, apple machines work great. we'd rather put up with the shortcomings of apple than put up with the shortcomings of PCs. simple as that.

p.s. i don't agree with everything 3lusiv3 said above, so don't lump me into that sort of mac zealotry...macs don't always get the job done as fast or better than other systems...in fact, there are some apps that run on PCs that i'm much rather use than their comparable apple ones. still, i enjoy the Mac user experience and most of what it has to offer...if that makes me a crazy mac zealot, then so be it.
cool.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #60 of 151
wow, chill out there
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

If I would have said the lastest BMW rocks, you wouldn't be listing some parts and saying how you could build your own car cheaper.

again, price/performance ratio was one of MANY things we felt lacking with apples. you make it sound like we are all broke and forced use PCs which is obviously false. on the BMW bit... not really into cars, i wouldnt have said anything if you posted something about BMWs. if you truly think apples rock, please post some more convincing reasons than [they are comparable to DELL price wise]
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

You guys seem so defensive that I wonder about why you behave in such an imature way, as if you had been offended, and you don't look at products objectively. I have no affiliation with Apple products and would change to anything else but we choose to use a lot of Apple products because they get the job done in a better way than anything else on the market.

you keep fleeing to the same obscure comments such as "they get the job done in a better way than anything else on the market". Way to look at products objectively! Could you elaborate on exactly what type of work you do and how are macs better in that regard? macs are slower, more expensive and virtually unupgradable - thats objectiveness for you. if i said they look ugly and that makes you gay then that would have been something subjective and offensive. personally i think they are neither spectarcular looking, nor ugly. i dont think anyone was getting hot tempered over this; some cynicism, maybe. we arent sueing you for chosing your beloved apples
smily_headphones1.gif
you said apples rock, and we would want to know why. who knows, there were some things we werent well informed about.

Quote:

well now, getting little defensive there arent you?
smily_headphones1.gif
we are cool with you using macs, not really blindly bashing them either. tell us some sound observations on macs we may have neglected if you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back