Aug 31, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 151
a $1700 computer that runs:
1) 256mb ram
2) 80gb hdd
3) 64mb FX5200ultra

Yay?
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 151
It actually competes quite well price wise when you compare it it with something equal. I just did a similar Dell set-up at the Dell site and came to US$1500 which is exactly the same price as the iMac and nowhere near the integration between hardware and software. There is also the following Sony which is similar but nowhere near as good.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...sktopComputers

I don't know where people get the idea that Apple is expensive. It is in no way expensive if you compare it to a similar product.

Aug 31, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 151
and of course we all know how competitive dell and sony offerings are
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

unless its something like that 400sc deal, no one with enough knowledge would buy a dell in sane mind. not only they are overpriced, they come with least overclocking/tweaking room. THEY DONT EVEN HAVE A FREAKIN A64, WHY BOTHER???

its good to know you dig their looks, but specs wise they are nothing worth taking a look at.

Aug 31, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 151
I think the thing you have to remember is that it is a 64-bit Computer (iMac) running an optimised 64-bit OS (OSX).

Aug 31, 2004 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 151
Lol, good choice, stop before this thread turns into war.

I have heard good things about apple computers although i've never owned one. They're somewhat overpriced IMO but who can resist the sexiness of their designs.

Aug 31, 2004 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I have no time to debate against ignorance.

Hey, it's your money
600smile.gif

Quote:

Extreme Graphics

The sizzling graphics processor and next-generation high-bandwidth architecture kicks 3D games and graphics into high gear, with three times the frame rate as the previous iMac in Unreal Tournament 2004

That's pretty funny - what were they getting before? 5 FPS?
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 151
Seriously, I have been going over this for years. If you think Macs are expensive you are not comparing like with like. If Macs were expensive our company wouldn't be using them.

Edit: There are different products for different people and for different purposes. I really don't want to get into this...I'm outa here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 151
Dell isn't competitive. Neither is Sony. Nor Gateway. Apple never has been.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
MSI NForce 2 ultra400 motherboard
Corsair 512mb of DDR400 ram
WD 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HD
LG 16x/52x/32x/52x DVD/CD-RW drive
Antec Case w/ 350w Smartpower PS
ATI Radeon 9200pro 128mb

bottom line price? just a hair UNDER $500. I know cause I've built this exact computer three times for myself and two other people.

If you wanted to go 64bit, then an A64 3000+ and mobo would jack the total price up by ~ $150.

Aug 31, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
It actually competes quite well price wise when you compare it it with something equal. I just did a similar Dell set-up at the Dell site and came to US$1500 which is exactly the same price as the iMac and nowhere near the integration between hardware and software. There is also the following Sony which is similar but nowhere near as good.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...sktopComputers

I don't know where people get the idea that Apple is expensive. It is in no way expensive if you compare it to a similar product.

They're on par until one of Apple's propietery POS parts breaks down and they charge you $550 to repace the Motherboard. Unless you get lucky and find one on eBay.

The new Lian Li's are better looking anyways.

Aug 31, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 151
Very slick design. I am sure many high-powered executives that don't really do anything on their PC will love to have one on their squeaky clean desks. Still I applaud Apple for pushing the design-aspect of PC's again.

But no manufacturer, Apple or otherwise, should be allowed to advertise any with less than half a gig of RAM. It's marketing BS to be able to advertise at a particular pricepoint, whether it's actually viable or reasonable from a productivity standpoint. Ridiculous.

Aug 31, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Very slick design. I am sure many high-powered executives that don't really do anything on their PC will love to have one on their squeaky clean desks. Still I applaud Apple for pushing the design-aspect of PC's again.

But no manufacturer, Apple or otherwise, should be allowed to advertise any with less than half a gig of RAM. It's marketing BS to be able to advertise at a particular pricepoint, whether it's actually viable or reasonable from a productivity standpoint. Ridiculous.

Apple are always lying in their advertisements.

That's why they poney up Millions to the European regulations for false advertisement. They get smoked by PCs in fair benchmarks even at stuff their are said to be better at.

If not for idiots who only know drop and drag Apple would be done... again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back