The new iMac rocks!
Aug 31, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #31 of 151
indextop20040831.jpg

OMG! Apple made a really big laptop without battery or a keyboard attached! Apple is teh amazing! How Apple make it fit everything in such small space! No one ever do that before!!

TC1100.jpg

MotionM1400SM.jpg

NECVersapad.jpg

No, but new iMac more amazing because it does more!

TC1100a.jpg

products_tablet_centrino.jpg

Motion_Computing_M1400.gif

But but but.....

BTW, this seems like it's close as a G5 Powerbook yer gonna get for a while. LOL
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #32 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

OMG! Apple made a really big laptop without battery or a keyboard attached! Apple is teh amazing! How Apple make it fit everything in such small space! No one ever do that before!!

No, but new iMac more amazing because it does more!

But but but.....

BTW, this seems like it's close as a G5 Powerbook yer gonna get for a while. LOL
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Hey Ed, remember the first pen based computer was the Apple Newton. One more market segment Apple created for everybody else. I owned a third generation Newton. The cursive handwriting recognition was very decent and the interface was light years ahead of either Palm OS or WinCE. Why wasn't the Newton downsized and made cheaper? Heaven knows what goes through the heads of Apple management dummies.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #34 of 151
space is a premium. i could dig this mac if i didnt just buy a Pc this year - but this old busted monitor has gots to go - it swallows a third of my desk.

Aug 31, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #36 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
Hey Ed, remember the first pen based computer was the Apple Newton. One more market segment Apple created for everybody else. I owned a third generation Newton. The cursive handwriting recognition was very decent and the interface was light years ahead of either Palm OS or WinCE. Why wasn't the Newton downsized and made cheaper? Heaven knows what goes through the heads of Apple management dummies.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Actually, there were quite a few before Apple.
http://www.sun.com/960710/feature3/sketchpad.html

In 1988 there was one called the "Wang Freestyle". Not very portable there either.

As for handhelds, sorry, Apple was not first either.
Jeff Hawkins, the creator of the original Palm Pilot, created the GriDPad Handheld.
http://www.pencomputing.com/palm/Pen33/hawkins2.html
Of course his next gen handheld, the "Boomer" was a total flop. Much like the Newton that followed. They were a bit ahead of their time.

But it really wasn't until M$'s Tablet PC introduction was there a mass market full featured OS system. Not an overgrown PDA, or a stripped down laptop.
Still, Tablet PC's have more improvements to go, but it's really fun to be able to write and truly draw on the screen.

-Ed

Aug 31, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #37 of 151
I looked up and saw some of the Mac-favored benchmark skewage. Just from some personal experience with similarly priced retail systems video playback on Mac was smoother. But yeah, that was also a generation or more ago of computers. Thanks for waking me up. I've always been with PCs anyway, just too many advantages in software/customization/value even IF they were slower.

Aug 31, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #39 of 151
Quote:

Except the iMac doesn't cost $1800+.

No, wait a second...

I've been in love with Tablet PCs since they were first shown. But the price is still too high, and IBM's relunctance to make one, combined with the lackluster (at best) sales, really makes me question the viability of the product.

Now, if Apple introduced a simlar device based on OSX, I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat.

~KS

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #40 of 151
Don't get me wrong, I think apple's got a lot going for it, but this design disapoints me. It reminds me of the millenium mac. They upgraded the processor, yeah, but 5200 Ultra still? At least the twenty inch could have a 9600XT or maybe a brand new nvidia 6600. 256MB of ram, that's bad for a pc, but Mac OS is even more memory demanding. While the price isn't outrageous, and it probably will last longer than a pc, it makes me feel claustriphobic.

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #41 of 151
Apple has one thing going for them, OSX.

If you could run OS X on a pc as reliably as on a mac, their hardware sales among "those in the know" would crumble to dust.

Luckily the average mtv-watching, queer-eye-dressing, ikea-living segment of the population outnumber "those in the know" by a factor of 100. So, as long as apple keeps putting their computers in pretty cases, and offer awe-inspiring upgrades like a click wheel and firmware update, their hardware division will continue to thrive, at least until their style falls out of vogue with the masses.

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #43 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitzfiya
Macs are ugly and always have been, They arnt impressive at all. Even the Ipod is a ugly design.

Marijuana and Mescaline are illegal in most parts of the world. Better stop while you're still outside the slammer.

rolleyes.gif

Wow 5 posts and you manage to come up with some BS like that
eggosmile.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #44 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitzfiya
Macs are ugly and always have been, They arnt impressive at all. Even the Ipod is a ugly design.

I always thought every Mac design, from product to graphical (iTunes, their website, etc.) was a little too curvy for my tastes, but neverthless, I still find their design better than most companies. Saying Macs are ugly is a bit harsh.

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #45 of 151
Quote:

LOL!!!

So, so true
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back