The new iMac rocks!
Aug 31, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #16 of 151
I've always failed to comprehend why people find what is essentially...white plastic...stylish, but that's just me I guess...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #17 of 151
You can get carbon copy "facts" and "rebuttal" on this particular subject in just about any tech forum. All these points will have been stated and argued many times over and it always ends up the same way. Close the thread please.

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #18 of 151
It looks cool. The old design with that ball on the bottom was ugly in my opinion. This is a right direction for power and simplicity, and space saving. I still think they should make these imacs 999 and have single cpu G5 desktops.

The only relevant thing here is onboard audio is not that good.

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #19 of 151
All I know is when people see my G5 tower for the first time, they notice. And most of that notice is of the positive variety.

After hearting so many windows based machine owners complain about thier hardware or software problems, I have had virtually no problems with my OS X G5. None of the five apple computers I've owned had a single harware problem (other than bad memory).

I agree that Apple has been stingy with its memory allocation, but thier computers are very well built, have a superior operating system, and look much more distinctive than its box on box bretheren.

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #20 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisczarra
All I know is when people see my G5 tower for the first time, they notice. And most of that notice is of the positive variety.

What like

Girl: Oh wow I love that thing, it's so pretty
chrisczarra: Yeah it's my new G5. It has 256mb of ram, a gefo...
Girl: Uh yeah that's great
plainface.gif
hey I was wondering if you could do this report for me?
chrisczarra: umm sure, I guess

biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #21 of 151
I like Macs. Hell, I'd even say I love Macs. The 15" PowerBook is what I consider to be the best overall laptop on the market, and I know for a fact that my next desktop will be a PowerMac Dual G5 (maybe when they switch to the PPC 975FX?). And I regard OSX as the best overall consumer OS, even though it's not 64-bit yet (10.4/Tiger should alleviate that problem).

With that said, I don't think very much of the new iMac at all. Yes, it looks nice, but like the previous version, the severe handicap that Apple has decided on it, for whatever reason ("market segmentation" or something along those lines, I'm sure), along with the cost-effectiveness that's been missing since the days of the original iMac (the eMac is much better choice for those who want a low-cost basic computing machine), makes it a non-choice for me.

256MB of memory (combined with the insane prices Apple charge for memory upgrades) and a 64MB GeForce FX 5200? That's just ridiculous.

As for digital-output... it's been standard on just about every mid-range (or higher) PC motherboard for at least a year or two now. Yes, it's possible that Apple's implementation will be much superior (I haven't read anything on the audio subsystem yet), but somehow I VERY MUCH doubt it.

~KS

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 151
It's not that Macs are expensive... it's that they really don't offer any deals. Will I buy one? Most likely... I'm running a 333hrtz at home with no firewire. Then again I have a Dual G5 at work so I'm not hot and heavy to upgrade yet.

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #23 of 151
Quote:

Girl: Oh wow I love that thing, it's so pretty
chrisczarra: Yeah it's my new G5. It has 256mb of ram, a gefo...
Girl: Uh yeah that's great. hey I was wondering if you could do this report for me?
chrisczarra: umm sure, I guess

OMG, that is frelling hilarious
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
!

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #24 of 151
When you look at Macs, you can't really look at just the specs. A lesser-equipped Mac can still outperform a PC when it comes to viewing/producing media; that's just its forte. Sure its expensive, but compared to PC builders, its comparable. The only real cheap route is to go the PC DIY route
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #25 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by juni0r
When you look at Macs, you can't really look at just the specs. A lesser-equipped Mac can still outperform a PC when it comes to viewing/producing media; that's just its forte. Sure its expensive, but compared to PC builders, its comparable. The only real cheap route is to go the PC DIY route
smily_headphones1.gif

thats a myth now, go look up on the recent comparisons between the mac & pc platform on adobe photoshop.

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #26 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by juni0r
When you look at Macs, you can't really look at just the specs. A lesser-equipped Mac can still outperform a PC when it comes to viewing/producing media; that's just its forte.

Show me some valid benchmarks that show the Mac outperforms PCs in those fields.

Benchmarks were always skewed in Apples favor. Now as they can pit an Apple against a PC more accurately you will see that PCs are on par/better than Macs.

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #27 of 151
Guys - cant you look at ANYTHING objectively without taking sides?
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

The new apple :-

Plus Points :-

* Operating System
* Cool looks
* Nice integrated design
* Space savings
* um...cool looks

minus points :-

* integrated design might mean higher costs for service and support
* Slow hardware...no debating on this issue...its BOG slow and old news
* you drop the screen - you lose an entire computer if you do it well enough
tongue.gif

* Expensive
* Limited software and hardware support

The good ol PC :-

Plus points :-

* powerful
* choice of OSes
* customizable
* Cheap
* so many to choose from
* easy to service...self service in most cases
* Software/Hardware support

Minus points

* Looks can be questionable
* usually shoddy work
wink.gif
functionality ahead of appearances
* OSes can be problematic
* Other than Windows XP - not very user friendly
* Drivers can be problematic
* integrating various hardware can have issues

There!
cool.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #28 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
They even have digital audio.

I suppose you mean that as a joke???
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #29 of 151
I actually don't find the new iMac all that pretty. It looks rather old fashioned with the big white space under the LCD.

Also, you lose the flexibility of moving around the display in all the possible positions you could with the previous iMac.

On the plus side, it's a nice minimalist approach.

Very much like- *gasp* - going back to the first iMac and replacing the CRT by an LCD, and the LSD colors by a more subdued whitish one.

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #30 of 151
if looks really mattered to you, you could get into modding/buidling your own case. for us less skillful folks there is a variety of fancy looking cases out there that put apples to shame (IMO of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. the difference is your choices are very limited with apples)

i really fail to see how the superiority of OS could heavily affect your buying decision. to my understanding, its what you do that matters, not what you use to achieve it. for what i know i could just sit here playing around with samuraize and litestep all day but that wont do me any good if there is nothing i could run on the computer would it? what does apple have to offer for home use other than a supposedely better OS and severe limitation on programs you can run? cant say much about the professional field as i have never been in one, but as far as home use goes paying 4x for something performs worse is just a blasphemy.

with that said, i keep hearing OSX is much superior to winNT/XP. so exactly which aspects of it is suppopsed to be better? not trying to dispute anything, just curious. my only encounter with OSX is computers at school cluster and i couldnt get used to the interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back