The new iMac rocks!
Sep 5, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #106 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Or WinAMP, since it was the first media player to be designed to be at the top of the screen and has "moron" controls.

Let's see. But his reasoning we should still get out and crank the battery of our cars before starting them. An electronic ignition must be for "morons". It's easier accomplishing the same thing. I love the way PC fans love masocistic interfaces. Unless they get an empty, tiny black screen begging for a dir:///a>#%^$^@ prompt, they don't feel like they've eaten their Wheaties.

Sep 5, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #107 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Let's see. But his reasoning we should still get out and crank the battery of our cars before starting them. An electronic ignition must be for "morons". It's easier accomplishing the same thing. I love the way PC fans love masocistic interfaces. Unless they get an empty, tiny black screen begging for a dir:///a>#%^$^@ prompt, they don't feel like they've eaten their Wheaties.

i submit that 99.9% of windows users would have no clue what to do if presented with a command prompt. your arguement is invalid.

since you are using a car analogy, i think it'd be better to speak of such things in terms of a transmission. some people prefer the 4-speed automatic, and some people prefer the 6-speed manual. nobody can argue that the automatic isn't easier, but there is a definate portion of the population that prefers the greater control over the car that a manual transmission provides.

Sep 5, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #108 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
i submit that 99.9% of windows users would have no clue what to do if presented with a command prompt. your arguement is invalid.

since you are using a car analogy, i think it'd be better to speak of such things in terms of a transmission. some people prefer the 4-speed automatic, and some people prefer the 6-speed manual. nobody can argue that the automatic isn't easier, but there is a definate portion of the population that prefers the greater control over the car that a manual transmission provides.

Wow.

I'm in the 0.1%.
tongue.gif

I'm sure 99.99% of car drivers wouldn't know how to start a car without an electric ignition either.

-Ed

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #110 of 151
Someone please put an axe to the head of this thread. Its a pathetic uninformed flame war.

On the tune of apple think they will ever include that nifty little digital out/1/8" jack into the iPods? I think that would be a very very very good improvement for those of us who use it as a HDD based player for home audio.

Also IMHO this iMac looks very very ugly since it is just so plain. The g5 is pretty and functional this just looks dumb. It just looks so boring and toyish.

K im done

Sep 5, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #112 of 151
Well unfortunetaly the problem dosen't stem from those who are unimformed it's more or less those who will no listen..

Just my opinion

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #113 of 151
Ironically, the MacOs has evolved to the point of acquiring a (optional) command prompt in it's 'Terminal' application. Of course, Unix is no sh!++y DOS, but it doesn't look that different. I would still use a Mac though, even if I had to use the command prompt.
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #114 of 151
The Mac vs. PC threads always remind me of Tim Leary's comment on LSD: "LSD is a compound that occasionally causes psychotic behavior in people who don't take it."

I think the new iMac looks like it will be a great machine at a good price. It might lose to some custom built nerd box in benchmark tests, but...who cares? I think the spec is fair for the price and the design is another Ives masterpiece (I have a degree in Art so I can make those calls
wink.gif
). You don't get it, but that's probably why you aren't working for Apple marketing
smily_headphones1.gif

Would I buy an iMac as a music source for home? Of course not. When I get a new computer, I'd consider the iMac. I might keep my G4 450 (1999, still in everyday use) and load it to the gills with HD's, but trying to keep any real amount of music in a case designed first and foremost to be space-saving and elegant seems like a bad idea.

At work I have a G4 and a PC (just to test my xhtml/css on PC systems). I had used PC's for all my life, but when OS X came out, it became a no contest for me.

Sep 8, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #115 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
Dell isn't competitive. Neither is Sony. Nor Gateway. Apple never has been.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
MSI NForce 2 ultra400 motherboard
Corsair 512mb of DDR400 ram
WD 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HD
LG 16x/52x/32x/52x DVD/CD-RW drive
Antec Case w/ 350w Smartpower PS
ATI Radeon 9200pro 128mb

bottom line price? just a hair UNDER $500. I know cause I've built this exact computer three times for myself and two other people.

If you wanted to go 64bit, then an A64 3000+ and mobo would jack the total price up by ~ $150.

I use a PC at home and at work.

Your comparison isn't fair. You have not spec'd a complete system.

You forgot to include display, keyboard and mouse. You also left off XP. All those things will push the price up several hundred dollars. You should also include the value of your time to build, burn-in, and potentialy troubleshoot the system. I'm not going to include speakers. No-one here would listen to $30 powered speakers, would they?

I'm not going to argue if the new iMac design is worth $$ over a PC in an Antec box and a ViewSonic flat panel monitor. Some people will pay extra for the Apple box.

More importantly, the new iMac will be quieter than your system.
I'm sure the built-in 12W audio isn't great, but there is optical digital audio out.

Sep 8, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #119 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer
I use a PC at home and at work.

Your comparison isn't fair. You have not spec'd a complete system.

OK, then lets compare Apples to apples, shall we?

[size=small]PC[/size]

Fujitsu 17inch WIDE SCREEN HIGH DEFINITION LCD TFT MONITOR VL-15DX7
Details:
-17inch FUJITSU VL-15DX7 WIDE 400:1 -CONTRAST 40CD/M-BRIGHTNESS STEREO SPEAKERS DVI-DIGITAL CONECTOR
Part - TFUJVL15DX7
$359

Microsoft (Keyboards) -Wireless Optical Desktop Keyboard + Mouse for Bluetooth M54-00004
$78.00

$226 - Athlon 64 3000 with motherboard, cpu, and fan.

AMD Athlon XP 2000 Barebones Computer; Athlon XP Mainboard; CPU CPU + Fan + Motherboard + 10-Bays Supper Case + 300Watt AMD Power Supply
$110.00

Generic 256MB PC3200 DDR Memory
$26.97

AGPTEK Geforce FX 5200 AGP 128MB Video Card with DVI and Tv out bulk -Dual Head-
$54.00

Maxtor 80.0GB Serial ATA 7200RPM with 8MB Buffer
$63.00

Panasonic (CD Recorders) - PANASONIC Slot Loading DVD-ROM and CD-RW Combo Drive Model CW-8123-B OEM
-CW-8123-B 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW.Read Speeds: 24X CDROM 8X DVD-ROM. Reads: DVD-RAM DVD-R and DVD-RW
$73.00

Microsoft Windows XP Home Full OEM software version. Includes full hologram CD product key EULA(license) and QuickStart Guide.
$75.00

Total Cost = $838.97

[size=small]New iMac[/size]

17-inch widescreen LCD
1.6GHz PowerPC G5
512K L2 cache
533MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
80GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load Combo Drive

Total Cost = $1,299.00

So that leaves a savings of $460.03 you can spend on a virtually silent Zalman Reserator and other extras. You could go with a small Shuttle XPC too. Or upgrade some of the components for a faster computer.

As for the new iMac, it all depends if you are willing to pay more than a 50% premium for space and style.

-Ed

Sep 8, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #120 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
As for the new iMac, it all depends if you are willing to pay more than a 50% premium for space and style.

...and OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back