The new iMac rocks!
Sep 8, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #121 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
OK, then lets compare Apples to apples, shall we?

[size=small]PC[/size]

Fujitsu 17inch WIDE SCREEN HIGH DEFINITION LCD TFT MONITOR VL-15DX7
Details:
-17inch FUJITSU VL-15DX7 WIDE 400:1 -CONTRAST 40CD/M-BRIGHTNESS STEREO SPEAKERS DVI-DIGITAL CONECTOR
Part - TFUJVL15DX7
$359

Microsoft (Keyboards) -Wireless Optical Desktop Keyboard + Mouse for Bluetooth M54-00004
$78.00
$
So that leaves a savings of $460.03 you can spend on a virtually silent Zalman Reserator and other extras. You could go with a small Shuttle XPC too. Or upgrade some of the components for a faster computer.

As for the new iMac, it all depends if you are willing to pay more than a 50% premium for space and style.

-Ed

That's a fair comparison. I'm glad to see you quoted a high quality display and keyboard. I don't like listening to music sitting next to a vacuum cleaner. I'd add in some Zalman low noise coolers and a quiet case. The PC still comes out about $350 less. That's enough money for a DIY head-amp, a good set of phones or a DIY DAC.

Mac or PC? I don't care. They both run iTunes
600smile.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #122 of 151
Just curious Ed, where did you get them prices from there very good

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #123 of 151
Those are really good prices... I'd like to know where you priced that as well... If it was online, you gotta tack on shipping to that, though I suppose that tax on the locally acquired stuff more than makes up for it (damn 9% sales tax...).

Why is this thread still open?

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #124 of 151
Quote:

[size=small]PC[/size]

Fujitsu 17inch WIDE SCREEN HIGH DEFINITION LCD TFT MONITOR VL-15DX7
Details:
-17inch FUJITSU VL-15DX7 WIDE 400:1 -CONTRAST 40CD/M-BRIGHTNESS STEREO SPEAKERS DVI-DIGITAL CONECTOR
Part - TFUJVL15DX7
$359

Microsoft (Keyboards) -Wireless Optical Desktop Keyboard + Mouse for Bluetooth M54-00004
$78.00

$226 - Athlon 64 3000 with motherboard, cpu, and fan.

AMD Athlon XP 2000 Barebones Computer; Athlon XP Mainboard; CPU CPU + Fan + Motherboard + 10-Bays Supper Case + 300Watt AMD Power Supply
$110.00

Generic 256MB PC3200 DDR Memory
$26.97

AGPTEK Geforce FX 5200 AGP 128MB Video Card with DVI and Tv out bulk -Dual Head-
$54.00

Maxtor 80.0GB Serial ATA 7200RPM with 8MB Buffer
$63.00

Panasonic (CD Recorders) - PANASONIC Slot Loading DVD-ROM and CD-RW Combo Drive Model CW-8123-B OEM
-CW-8123-B 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW.Read Speeds: 24X CDROM 8X DVD-ROM. Reads: DVD-RAM DVD-R and DVD-RW
$73.00

Microsoft Windows XP Home Full OEM software version. Includes full hologram CD product key EULA(license) and QuickStart Guide.
$75.00

Total Cost = $838.97

[size=small]New iMac[/size]

17-inch widescreen LCD
1.6GHz PowerPC G5
512K L2 cache
533MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
80GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load Combo Drive

Total Cost = $1,299.00

So that leaves a savings of $460.03 you can spend on a virtually silent Zalman Reserator and other extras. You could go with a small Shuttle XPC too. Or upgrade some of the components for a faster computer.

As for the new iMac, it all depends if you are willing to pay more than a 50% premium for space and style.

-Ed

yup - what proglife said. you're still running windows, no matter what specs you've got. sorry, that's just not acceptable.

Sep 9, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #125 of 151
Quote:

That's a great & fair statement... and there're so many willing people as well.

So does this thing fits the description of a good computer-as-source machine or not, with/without the digital out and price no objection?

p.s. sorry about jumping in like this for a first post

Sep 9, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #126 of 151
I don't think anyone knows...they haven't started shipping yet. For my dollars, if I were SERIOUS about Computer as Source, I'd spend my money on a G4 400 tower and load it up with hard drives, ram and some bit perfect digital out (card or AirTunes).

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #129 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by PooJou
a $1700 computer that runs:
1) 256mb ram
2) 80gb hdd
3) 64mb FX5200ultra

Yay?
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, that IS complete crap, but then again, the entire computer is the size of a dang flat-screen monitor!

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #130 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by es2mac
So does this thing fits the description of a good computer-as-source machine or not, with/without the digital out and price no objection?

Well as long as the better soundcards and software are on Windows then no.

Sep 10, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #131 of 151
Quote:

Total Cost = $1,299.00

-Ed

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Panel Computers. The have been around much longer than the new iMac. Panel Computers are PCs in a all-in-one configuration. They are either open frame or in a VESA mount much like the new iMac. Touch screens are common. The are mostly used in special purpose applications like Kiosks and Medical equiptment. Prices are in the $1000 to $2500 range.

Google Panel PC to find them.

Sep 12, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #133 of 151
Yes, they have existed for quite some time with industrial computer companies.

TPC-1560_01_S.JPG

http://www.advantech.com.tw/products...id=1-D6H7X&PD=

http://www.technoland.com/tl_ppc170_p4.htm
http://www.arbor.com.tw/products/ppc.htm

Most of them are much thicker compared to the new iMac.

As with all their products, Apple has not created something no one has ever done before, but has made it more stylish and compact.

From a technological standpoint, Apple does not innovate, but Apple does often take the lead in Industrial Design.

Like it or not, if it wasn't for the original iMac, most PC's would still be beige and boring. (thank goodness they are not all fruity colors) I may not ever personally buy a Mac, but I am glad they exist to give PC OEM's a kick in the design butt.

-Ed

Sep 12, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #135 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
yup - what proglife said. you're still running windows, no matter what specs you've got. sorry, that's just not acceptable.

What an intelligent retort.
rolleyes.gif

If OSX was so great...no, let me rephrase that:

If Windows was so terrible, Apple would have more than the 3-5% market share that it currently holds. Windows works just fine for me and for MILLIONS of other PC users. If it was as awful as you make it seem, people would abandon it and just run Linux or switch to Mac+OSX, regardless of the consequences (such as software support).

OSX may be great, but Windows has MUCH more available software. Oh, and then there is the added bonus of better performance with a decently built PC. I'm sure the software that is available for a Mac is trendy and pretty just like everything else Apple, but when there are only a few programs available...sorry, that's just not acceptable.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back