The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #28,216 of 28,989
EafGK25WAAACBQM.png

Am I the only one? The HD600 and HD800 now absolutely destroy the top of my head. I'd honestly rather wear the twice as heavy LCD-4 over this horribly uncomfortable thing. I should look up some third party solutions for this.

Hilarious. Yeah the Sennheisers for me are not the most comfortable cans either. Still love them too much not to use them though.

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #28,217 of 28,989
EafGK25WAAACBQM.png

Am I the only one? The HD600 and HD800 now absolutely destroy the top of my head. I'd honestly rather wear the twice as heavy LCD-4 over this horribly uncomfortable thing. I should look up some third party solutions for this.

The HD600 and HD650 were uncomfortable (they did not destroy my head though). The HD800 is one of the most comfortable headphones I have used.

My Grado SR60 (with 414 pads) is the most comfortable headphone I own, followed by the Sony MDR-F1. These two models weigh next to nothing.

I guess some people don't like heavy headphones.

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #28,218 of 28,989
The most comfortable of my headphones.

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #28,220 of 28,989
Those who find the HD800 headband uncomfortable might consider the new Sennheiser HD1000. Here is a bit from a post earlier in this thread to refresh memories:

I have been Working Undercover on the New Flagship Sennheiser, and despite my signed Non-Disclosure agreement, the comments here prompt me to reveal what the new Sennheiser HD 1000 wlll be (sorry, Sennheiser! But you never gave me that pair of Beats headphones you promised!):

I have pilfered a picture of the new HD 1000 from the Sennheiser lab, shown here in its case. As you can see, it will be sold in the same case as the present HD 800:

The HD 1000 offers several improvements over the HD 800:

1. Even more than Grado headphones the new HD 1000 is completely transparent! The picture above confirms this, as you can see ALL of the back of the box, even under the HD 1000.
  2. The HD 1000 is also weightless... you will never know that you are wearing it. (no weight indentations in the box)
  3. The HD 1000 is very soft... you cannot feel any pressure squeezing your ears or weighting your head.
  4. The HD 1000 is wireless... no messy cables to stumble over.
  5. The HD 1000 is so completely realistic that it comes with the new Sennheiser Realism Guarantee ("SRG") -- listen to what is around you without the HD 1000, then put them on and listen. We guarantee that you will not be able to tell the difference! Complete realism, as measured by A/B blind testing over dozens of trial users. Unlike most headphones that fight their environment by trying to impose their own sounds upon your ear, the HD 1000 will complement the acoustic environment that you are in, providing exact reproduction of its sounds.

Like the HD 800, introduced at a price that was double its model number, the HD 1000 will be offered at $2,000, double its model number.

However, I stole several prototypes from the lab and I am happy to sell them at half price, or $1,000 each. Since they are weightless, there is no charge for shipping other than the cost of shipping the box.

Please.... first come, first served!

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #28,222 of 28,989
Has your new amp changed your opinions on the 800s?

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #28,224 of 28,989
Hello guys, I don't if it is alright to ask here. I am wondering do you guys have any suggestions on a small amp for HD800. Price around $1000, classical music lover, and I am using HUGO2 as a dac. Thanks you for your help!

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #28,225 of 28,989
Hello guys, I don't if it is alright to ask here. I am wondering do you guys have any suggestions on a small amp for HD800. Price around $1000, classical music lover, and I am using HUGO2 as a dac. Thanks you for your help!

No personal experience with it but the Woo Audio WA2 is on my short list. It's a couple hundred more than you mentioned.

A used Violectric V280 or V281 is killer and will work with a wide variety of headphones where as tube OTLs like the Woo are best with high impedance cans. The Violectrics can handle a pretty wide variety of headphones.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #28,226 of 28,989
The Hugo₂ can drive the HD 800 perfectly. Any additional amplification stage will degrade the signal. It would be like re-amplifying the signal from the headphone output, since line out and headphone out share the same signal path – no internal headphone amp to be bypassed.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #28,227 of 28,989
The Hugo₂ can drive the HD 800 perfectly. Any additional amplification stage will degrade the signal. It would be like re-amplifying the signal from the headphone output, since line out and headphone out share the same signal path – no internal headphone amp to be bypassed.

From the Chord page, Power output @ 1kHz 1% THD: 94mW 300Ω

Looks kinda marginal. I think you would get some significant improvement with a lot more gutsy amp.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #28,228 of 28,989

I recommend an iCan Pro (used). I want to get one myself.

I currently have an iCan (non Pro version) and thanks to the xBass function I can use the HD800 to play any type of music. Listening to something like the Black Eyed Peas without xBass is not a very enjoyable experience. I could switch headphones...or I can flip a switch.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #28,229 of 28,989
No personal experience with it but the Woo Audio WA2 is on my short list. It's a couple hundred more than you mentioned.

A used Violectric V280 or V281 is killer and will work with a wide variety of headphones where as tube OTLs like the Woo are best with high impedance cans. The Violectrics can handle a pretty wide variety of headphones.
Thank you! I think I have heard the the Woo audio product heavily depends the tube you used and the original tubes are not so great. Don't know if that is true.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #28,230 of 28,989
Thank you! I think I have heard the the Woo audio product heavily depends the tube you used and the original tubes are not so great. Don't know if that is true.

I really don't know but I hope the stock tubes are at least good. Otherwise yeah, tube rolling can be expensive. Good thing about Woo is it's a popular brand and people have already spent the money and can help. Some big threads here about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back