The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #27,241 of 28,989
Then you will not hear THAT bass. Try eq-ing the bass up. It is fantastic. It is one of the best bass Ive personally have ever heard.

Which tube amp are u using? In general, try to avoid OTL. It fixes the tonality, but I feel soundstage and detail takes a hit. But of coz depends on the amp as well.
I too have been using what I call SSBB SubSonicBassBoost for several years now and it along with a few other tweaks can go along way in delivering kick ass bass on 800's.

My bottom end EQ is simple.
I go into the parametric EQ inside MediaCenter and use these 'starter' settings.
Q= .52 Freq = 14hz gain is +15dB
and
-9dB left and right, so the bass boost isn't clipping nor 'mis-behaving'.
This curve fairly closely matches the natural fall off, of the 800's.
And I would suggest playing with those 'starter' set of ParaEQ settings, to suit you and your system

And Sonar works using the unlimited EQ set of 800 curves works rather well as well.
And I agree that tubes can do a marvelous job with the bass on 800's.

And a trick I just figured out that may be old news to some but bears repeating, just because.

If you are running high Ω cans on speaker taps from a tube power amp try this trick.
Add 15Ω resistors of say 5-10watts (or less depending…) across the 16Ω taps, for Senns and anything over ≈ 100Ω.

This should help run the tube closer to its 'sweet(r) spot'.
It sure did for my BIG 45 amp.

JJ

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #27,242 of 28,989
I too have been using what I call SSBB SubSonicBassBoost for several years now and it along with a few other tweaks can go along way in delivering kick ass bass on 800's.

My bottom end EQ is simple.
I go into the parametric EQ inside MediaCenter and use these 'starter' settings.
Q= .52 Freq = 14hz gain is +15dB
and
-9dB left and right, so the bass boost isn't clipping nor 'mis-behaving'.
This curve fairly closely matches the natural fall off, of the 800's.
And I would suggest playing with those 'starter' set of ParaEQ settings, to suit you and your system

And Sonar works using the unlimited EQ set of 800 curves works rather well as well.
And I agree that tubes can do a marvelous job with the bass on 800's.

And a trick I just figured out that may be old news to some but bears repeating, just because.

If you are running high Ω cans on speaker taps from a tube power amp try this trick.
Add 15Ω resistors of say 5-10watts (or less depending…) across the 16Ω taps, for Senns and anything over ≈ 100Ω.

This should help run the tube closer to its 'sweet(r) spot'.
It sure did for my BIG 45 amp.

JJ
JJ,

I have to learn from you on how to maximize my HD800. That is why i call my HD800 "fixed" instead of fixed. I have a feeling it can go even further with your mod.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #27,244 of 28,989
JJ,

I have to learn from you on how to maximize my HD800. That is why i call my HD800 "fixed" instead of fixed. I have a feeling it can go even further with your mod.
Yes the SSBB mod in conjunction with EQ and PRT (Phase Reversal Tweak) all contribute and reinforce each other.
I've written up and posted these mods in the Cookbook thread…
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-diyrs-cookbook.781268/page-15#post_12300653

Between the PRT and the SSBB mods, the bass specifically, gets a major step up in all the parameters I deem important and look for as improvements.

And while I no longer use Sonarworks (there are other posts in this series, that go into more detail of my current EQ setup) it is a really good place to start and for many may well be suitable enough so that the fussy task of dialing in how I have my current EQ setup, need not be used.

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #27,246 of 28,989
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #27,247 of 28,989
I just purchased an HD-800 with SDR mod included.. has anyone tried it with the Violectric HPA V181? Any impressions? I'll also be running it on balanced. My DAC is the Burson DA-160, which I'm hoping will add some subtle warmth.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #27,248 of 28,989
hd800.jpg
I'm quite aware that this is a scam, but I wondered how the seller will make money of it, because at the end Amazon is supposed to refund undelivered purchases?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #27,250 of 28,989
I can’t help but to laugh to myself when I read in various threads “ the HD800 is outdated” the HD800’s isn’t good anymore” the HD800’s been passed up” LOL then why is every headphone still measured by it to this day, in all these various threads!? Why, to my ears is it still one of the best? Hmm must be my equipment I guess

Apr 10, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #27,251 of 28,989
I can’t help but to laugh to myself when I read in various threads “ the HD800 is outdated” the HD800’s isn’t good anymore” the HD800’s been passed up” LOL then why is every headphone still measured by it to this day, in all these various threads!? Why, to my ears is it still one of the best? Hmm must be my equipment I guess

I have to agree with you on this one. I've actually bought and sold this headphone a total of 5 times, no joke, but I always want to have it back in my stable. It's just so impressive in so many aspects when combined with the right cable and set-up. Sure, I have my posted up in the forum for sale.. but that's only to get one with a different cable. :p

Apr 11, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #27,254 of 28,989
I have to agree with you on this one. I've actually bought and sold this headphone a total of 5 times, no joke, but I always want to have it back in my stable. It's just so impressive in so many aspects when combined with the right cable and set-up. Sure, I have my posted up in the forum for sale.. but that's only to get one with a different cable. :p

How it compares against the Ether 2?

Apr 11, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #27,255 of 28,989
How it compares against the Ether 2?

I'd say that are almost polar opposites. The one thing that they both have in spades is comfort and clarity.
The Ether 2 is darker, has more bass, a fuller, lower mid-range and a smaller soundstage.
The HD 800 is more focused on a heightened treble response, less body in the mid-range and a wider soundstage.
They compliment each other nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back