1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
  1. omniweltall
    Agreed.

For me, for (1) more simple arrangements, (2) easy listening sessions, and (3) badly recorded tracks, technicality is not really a must. Then the HD600 takes over. Once HD800 is "fixed", they both have very similar tonality anyway. HD800 is truly like a super HD600. HD600 is like 85% of HD800's technicality, but "fixed" HD800 is like 95% of HD600's tonality.

I think Sennheiser really got tonality spot on with their earlier headphones. And they got technicalities spot on with the HD800. And this is coming from someone who has tried a lot of TOTL cans out there.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Joong and Nik74 like this.
  2. Ichos
    That's were the 800s comes in.
    HD600 tonality + HD800 technicality = HD800s !!!

3. omniweltall
    Sorry....but no haha.

A "fixed" 800 has better tonality than 800s. The 800s is very close to stock 800. Lean tonality and very little bass quantity. And I still prefer the 800 slightly.

4. Ichos
    Fixed with physical mods or EQ?
    I don't use EQ because I am spinning cd's.
    Used to have HD800 sdr but I preferred the HD800s so I sold it.

5. jay567
    I think it is blatantly obvious HD800 is techincally superior especially with mods/EQ.

6. jay567
    Modded HE400 is better IMO.

7. Joong
    Modded He-400 is Better than LCD2?

8. omniweltall
    I personally use SDR mod, Dekoni pads, EQ, and tube amp.

9. WilliamLeonhart
    For me just tube amp is enough. Never heard anything so rich and full yet also with a huge soundstage and so many details

Nik74 likes this.
  10. gLer
    R2R solid state for me. Detail without the harshness. Will try the SDR mod but Sennheiser designed the HD800 the way they did for a reason, and I mostly like it as-is (with SonarWorks from time to time).

11. omniweltall
    Then you will not hear THAT bass. Try eq-ing the bass up. It is fantastic. It is one of the best bass Ive personally have ever heard.

Which tube amp are u using? In general, try to avoid OTL. It fixes the tonality, but I feel soundstage and detail takes a hit. But of coz depends on the amp as well.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  12. gLer
    SonarWorks does wonders for the bass and kills the treble peak. +1 bass +3 tilt 50% wet. Those are my settings on SW 4.2. Well worth a try if you haven’t already.

omniweltall likes this.
  13. omniweltall
    Not familiar about sonarworks. But i heard good stuff about it from others.

I use the Loki.

14. Ichos
    Hmm Loki is a good idea but I will have to sacrifice the fully balanced chain with Mjolnir 2.

BTW - I also used sdr and Dekoni Hybrids with my HD800 but at the end I preferred the HD800s.

15. WilliamLeonhart
    Just a humble clone of the Little Dot mk4... Never thought about EQ my cans, but tbh the sound is perfect for the music I like (Vietnamese cheesy soft music)