1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
  1. ruthieandjohn
    I agree... HD800 forever. I love mine with its HDVD800 amp, both in matching red and black, thanks to Colorware.

SennAv2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    protoss, OldSkool, nephilim32 and 4 others like this.
  2. paradoxper
    This is Head-Fi. FOTM never dies.

3. FiGuY1017

4. FiGuY1017
    That’s no lie and I trust my HD800 like I trust my glock 19, they will both outlast me I'm sure

blackdragon87 likes this.
  5. omniweltall
    To me, mrspeakers was having troubles with tonality after the alpha dog. But i kept hearing good things abt the Ether 2. Gotta try it.

6. nephilim32
    273C5F82-E1DD-4BF4-A9A5-B036EF400BD1.jpeg 8054EB16-1CA3-4F30-9A74-7C30CB9BD99A.jpeg I’m keeping my HD 800 C’s forever as well. Still to this day, they have uncanny width and detail that surpass a ton of headphones...maybe even all? I dunno but the 800’s are even wider than the Orpheus however of course not as deep.
    I’m sticking with this headphone. There is no such thing as a perfect headphone however I have to say the 800C’s have very few flaws given for what their purpose is, which is total detail Annihilation lol.

Deftone and Joong like this.
  7. chimney189
    I noticed that you have the Burson Soloist SL. It’s one of my favorite amps, especially with the HD 800. What kind of cable do you have with the HD 800?

nephilim32 likes this.
  8. johnjen
    Those are ALO cables, made with 22g Jenna wire.

I have the larger 18g ALO cables 2 wire/driver version, hardwired into my 800's, instead of the 4 wire/driver version as shown in the picture.

I don't think ALO still offers those cables, but this Jenna Labs wire is still available for those brave enough to try and stuff that much copper into such a tiny space and then solder them to even tinier connector pins.

Even hardwiring is pushing the envelope to its max.

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

JJ

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    nephilim32 and Ichos like this.
  9. Ichos
    You have promoted modding to another level.
    Congratulations.

10. johnjen
    Yeah I'm pushing the envelope to be sure.
    And this implementation of hardwiring is but one of several mods I have made to my 800-Jmods, which together have resulted in a significant step up in SQ.

And to me this also speaks to the 800's scaleability, in that as mods have been made, they keep 'stepping up' with SQ improvements that are most gratifying.

JJ

11. chimney189
    I just purchased a modded SDR HD 800 with a hardwired DHC Complement4 balanced cable. It's taking me awhile to get used to the fact that I won't ever be able to switch it out unless I develop the skills to do so.

12. Nik74
    Well if it is any consolation, the stock cable is so tightly attached to the headphones that when I get the itch to try something else, I ll get it back to the shop to have the cable changed , I tried to pull it out the other day and gave up for fear of damaging the connectors ! :)

13. sup27606
    In my HD800, the stock connectors are not tight at all. Mine is one of the early generations. May be it depends on the specific batch.

14. protoss
    Those are the jealous dealers, promoters, and owners of other headphones spreading false information to the gullible timid souls.

HD800 will be going down as a legendary headphone.

Let others be fake kings and so forth. HD800 is a legend.

Rank "S"

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  15. johnjen
    Yeah once the decision is made to hardwire them the choice of cables becomes a much bigger issue.
    So figuring out which cable you want to use 1st is the priority.
    Not to mention that securing the cable with some sort of strain relief can be a bit tricky.

Still it isn't that bad, assuming you have the skills and experience and confidence to tackle the job.
    But then that applies to just about any modification made to any of our gear.

And unless you are really adept at these sorts of things, usually there is no going back, and if done well, there is usually no desire to do so.

JJ