The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #27,226 of 28,989
Not sure if I agree. I mainly listen to girl/guitar and the HD800 is so real it’s as if I’m sitting in the room while she’s playing. More real even than the Auteur, which is by far the most realistic and totally accurate headphone I’ve heard, mainly because of the HD800’s sense of space, and the detail that pics up every nuance of the voice. Of course this depends on the quality of recording - a badly recorded girl/guitar track can be painful on the HD800, especially if it’s inherently sibilant like so many poor recordings can be. That’s where the Auteur is more forgiving and preferable.
Agreed.

For me, for (1) more simple arrangements, (2) easy listening sessions, and (3) badly recorded tracks, technicality is not really a must. Then the HD600 takes over. Once HD800 is "fixed", they both have very similar tonality anyway. HD800 is truly like a super HD600. HD600 is like 85% of HD800's technicality, but "fixed" HD800 is like 95% of HD600's tonality.

I think Sennheiser really got tonality spot on with their earlier headphones. And they got technicalities spot on with the HD800. And this is coming from someone who has tried a lot of TOTL cans out there.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #27,234 of 28,989
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #27,235 of 28,989
I personally use SDR mod, Dekoni pads, EQ, and tube amp.
R2R solid state for me. Detail without the harshness. Will try the SDR mod but Sennheiser designed the HD800 the way they did for a reason, and I mostly like it as-is (with SonarWorks from time to time).

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #27,236 of 28,989
For me just tube amp is enough. Never heard anything so rich and full yet also with a huge soundstage and so many details
Then you will not hear THAT bass. Try eq-ing the bass up. It is fantastic. It is one of the best bass Ive personally have ever heard.

Which tube amp are u using? In general, try to avoid OTL. It fixes the tonality, but I feel soundstage and detail takes a hit. But of coz depends on the amp as well.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #27,237 of 28,989
Then you will not hear THAT bass. Try eq-ing the bass up. It is fantastic. It is one of the best bass Ive personally have ever heard.

Which tube amp are u using? In general, try to avoid OTL. It fixes the tonality, but I feel soundstage and detail takes a hit. But of coz depends on the amp as well.
SonarWorks does wonders for the bass and kills the treble peak. +1 bass +3 tilt 50% wet. Those are my settings on SW 4.2. Well worth a try if you haven’t already.

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #27,240 of 28,989

Just a humble clone of the Little Dot mk4... Never thought about EQ my cans, but tbh the sound is perfect for the music I like (Vietnamese cheesy soft music)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back