The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #19,638 of 28,989
Rayzilla..

Just remember that Stax are very delicate and only have 1year warranty and that can be stressful with such expensive gear.
Other than that, they are really great and offcoss quite different from HD800, but not a lot better.. Only with vocals, IMHO.

Use to own 009 and 007mkI.

I listened to 009 + Blue Hawaii and agree with your assessment.  At 3 x the $, I personally can't justify.

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #19,639 of 28,989

Rayzilla..

Just remember that Stax are very delicate and only have 1year warranty and that can be stressful with such expensive gear.
Other than that, they are really great and offcoss quite different from HD800, but not a lot better.. Only with vocals, IMHO.

Use to own 009 and 007mkI.

I listened to 009 + Blue Hawaii and agree with your assessment.  At 3 x the $, I personally can't justify.

+1

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #19,644 of 28,989

For a real inexpensive option you could try the Vali...

Well, I already have the O2 amp, so I'm looking for an upgrade.
I thought tube amp will make a huge difference..

I love my Studio Six....
evil_smiley.gif

Kidding.. Clearly out of budget. 

If you could find a used Decware CSP2+ that would be a nice upgrade, low cost tubes and super sweet pairing with the HD800's!

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #19,645 of 28,989
  Well, I already have the O2 amp, so I'm looking for an upgrade.
I thought tube amp will make a huge difference..

You could try this:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/feliks-audio-elise/reviews/13718

Haven't heard it yet, but it looks promising.

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #19,647 of 28,989
I'm pretty happy with my ADL cable.  Although there are probably better out there, I'm not planning on changing it for a while.

Quote:
  My HD800 cable ripped(after the y split, on the left side). What do you think about ADL cables for HD800? The iHP-35Hx? That's the only one I can get locally without getting it custom made(and also one of the cheapest).

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #19,648 of 28,989
Can anyone recommend a 4-5 foot very thin, flexible and soft HD800 cable? I do not like thick, tangle free or hard/stiff cables and I currently cannot stand the length and the stiffness of the stock cable. I am not looking for a cable to change the sound or am chasing better sound. I just want a cable that keeps at least stock cable sound (wouldn't mind a more warm/bass heavy signature either but it doesn't matter either way) but is 4-5 feet in length, VERY THIN, flexible and soft as heavy, stiff and thick cables drive me nuts. 

I was looking at potentially purchasing a custom cable from mimic or bestinverse or possible a ebay cable. Can anyone make a recommendation based on what I am looking for?

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #19,650 of 28,989
Build quality is amazing. Rhodium connectors and plug. A little stiff for my liking but less stiff than the stock cable.  Actual cable is also very nice and tough. For the money, it is an outstanding cable. The SQ is better than stock.  Seems smoother to me with a touch more bass.
Quote:
ooh that looks amazing. Is it built though? I don't care too much about improving SQ. I need good build quality. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back