The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #19,621 of 28,992
  Agree 100% about the bass.  Incredibly impressive and after thinking it might be bass light from my readings over the years it proved false.  Sooooooooo glad I got a pair for myself to hear.

Out of my vintage amps (and that's all I use) they are very impressive.  Thought the HE-6 out of speaker taps was the end all, be all.  Till I got these. 

Yeah, I really resisted the HD800, believed all of the negativity, soooo happy I finally caved and am hearing it in my home setup. The bass is fantastic, tight, accurate and tuneful. I cannot wait until I get the Draug 2 and have the chance to listen to it from the balanced outs. I felt the HE1000, though extremely good from the SE, was even better from the XLR.

My 560s will probably end up on the F/S Thread as well, I do love them, but the HD800 is much better.

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #19,623 of 28,992
Bunch of fools if you ask me :p

LOL, especially since we are on a pretty similar path......How is your HD800 working for Mr. Rawster?:wink:

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #19,624 of 28,992
I got no complaints with the hd800. It's been my biggest regret until I bought it again. This time around I'm not going to be tempted to finance a star setup with it. My weak link is probably my dac but it is still a very good dac should be set for a long time.

I got all 3 components at a good price and imo to get a worthwhile improvement I'll have to spend a lot more than I'm willing to.

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #19,625 of 28,992

Glad to have you aboard!  I resisted the HD800 for a long time too.  Fortunately, I have a nice friend who let me borrow his for a few weeks.  After those weeks, I was a believer.
Between HE6 driven by a speaker amp and HD800 + WA22 combo, I think I have reached "end game"... for now 
biggrin.gif

Btw, I am hunting for a good sx-950/1050 locally but no luck yet.

Good for you.  Worth it when you find it................

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #19,626 of 28,992

Agree 100% about the bass.  Incredibly impressive and after thinking it might be bass light from my readings over the years it proved false.  Sooooooooo glad I got a pair for myself to hear.

Out of my vintage amps (and that's all I use) they are very impressive.  Thought the HE-6 out of speaker taps was the end all, be all.  Till I got these. 

Yeah, I really resisted the HD800, believed all of the negativity, soooo happy I finally caved and am hearing it in my home setup. The bass is fantastic, tight, accurate and tuneful. I cannot wait until I get the Draug 2 and have the chance to listen to it from the balanced outs. I felt the HE1000, though extremely good from the SE, was even better from the XLR.

My 560s will probably end up on the F/S Thread as well, I do love them, but the HD800 is much better.

Even though it is early on, it sounds like you are digging the HD800 so far.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #19,627 of 28,992

Whirlwind, I am loving them, glad I finally succumbed to the Senny Siren 
atsmile.gif
. I can't believe I thought they were equals with the PS1000s, while the PS1k is an excellent HP, they aren't equals. With the stock cable, still needing break in, while burning in the new caps on the Monarchy, the 800s are exceptional (OK, I am stubborn, if anything).

Quick example, I never really understood the need for a phase inverting switch. With the HD800 and the monarchy it's a very clear difference, almost every disc offering a significantly setting.

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #19,628 of 28,992

atsmile.gif
. I can't believe I thought they were equals with the PS1000s, while the PS1k is an excellent HP, they aren't equals. With the stock cable, still needing break in, while burning in the new caps on the Monarchy, the 800s are exceptional (OK, I am stubborn, if anything).

Quick example, I never really understood the need for a phase inverting switch. With the HD800 and the monarchy it's a very clear difference, almost every disc offering a significantly setting.

Great to hear, glad you are enjoying them.

Should be a pretty special sound with the Taurus.

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #19,629 of 28,992
atsmile.gif

Glad to hear that you are really loving your 800s. After trying many other headphones since buying my HD 800, I still haven't come across a better headphone (to me). I tried the HE1000 and it just seemed to be missing a lot of the good things that I love about the HD 800.

I am now thinking about trying STAX but I KNOW that I am never going to make the mistake of selling my HD 800 in the process. They will be with me to the end, if not for being the best (years or decades from now)... for sentimental reasons.

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #19,630 of 28,992
Glad to hear that you are really loving your 800s. After trying many other headphones since buying my HD 800, I still haven't come across a better headphone (to me). I tried the HE1000 and it just seemed to be missing a lot of the good things that I love about the HD 800.

I am now thinking about trying STAX but I KNOW that I am never going to make the mistake of selling my HD 800 in the process. They will be with me to the end, if not for being the best (years or decades from now)... for sentimental reasons.

Thanks, I really hate that I will be missing the Nashville Meet, I was dying to hear them on your Teton! Plus missing your and Preporman's tube vs. SS (would have liked to put my Taurus in the mix) shootout, it's really going to be a fantastic event.

I liked the HE1000, just couldn't justify the added expense versus the HD800s, very happy I went with the Sennies.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #19,631 of 28,992
Rayzilla..

Just remember that Stax are very delicate and only have 1year warranty and that can be stressful with such expensive gear.
Other than that, they are really great and offcoss quite different from HD800, but not a lot better.. Only with vocals, IMHO.

Use to own 009 and 007mkI.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #19,632 of 28,992
Thanks, I really hate that I will be missing the Nashville Meet, I was dying to hear them on your Teton! Plus missing your and Preporman's tube vs. SS (would have liked to put my Taurus in the mix) shootout, it's really going to be a fantastic event.

I liked the HE1000, just couldn't justify the added expense versus the HD800s, very happy I went with the Sennies.

Rayzilla = no Tenton while jibzilla = Tenton  lol...

wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #19,634 of 28,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back