The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #19,606 of 28,992
The he560 looks like a great option for you.

Or the 400i if you want something cheaper.
I'd say no need to look further if the 560 is at a good price.

Bad advise.

You are telling the guy to forgo one of the best headphones in the world without giving them a listen first.  

I'd say that the HD800 is a better headphone than the 400i or the 560.   I'd also say that hm22music might prefer the 560, but I would rather err on the side of the Sennheiser.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #19,607 of 28,992
Oops. I was just working off the brief "I actually dont like bright HPs.
Like the sound of the HD650".

And yes I prefer the hd800 over the he560 too.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #19,608 of 28,992
I use the octave equalizer in my FiiO X5 (II) which feeds a Chord Hugo as my home setup. My HD 800 is modified, so most of the treble peak (caused by reflections) is eliminated at the source. Nevertheless, equalizing helps to bring the HD 800 to the next level, and these are my settings:

+5.4      +0.2      –0.8     –0.8      –1.8     –1.8     +0.2      +0.4     –0.8     +3.8        (from 31 Hz to 16 kHz)

If you insist on an unmodified HD 800, I would suggest a curve like this (estimated):

+5.4      +0.2      –0.8     –0.8      –1.8      –2       –0.2      –0.6      –2.6      +2

Software equalizers aren't a sacrilege in my book, in fact they're mandatory for driving high-end headphones to their potential, as I see it. There was a time when I avoided equalizers, but that was with hardware equalizers with their awful signal degradations. Well made software equalizers should be free from that.

It depends how sensitive one is to digital filters. Any dsp will have ringing. At least linear phase has no phase shift, and there are some other excellent algorithms with very little ringing and linear phase iirc.

Still I would prefer in principle to get rid of the ringing directly than just atennuate with eq but no solution is without compromise.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #19,609 of 28,992

I use the octave equalizer in my FiiO X5 (II) which feeds a Chord Hugo as my home setup. My HD 800 is modified, so most of the treble peak (caused by reflections) is eliminated at the source. Nevertheless, equalizing helps to bring the HD 800 to the next level, and these are my settings:

+5.4      +0.2      –0.8     –0.8      –1.8     –1.8     +0.2      +0.4     –0.8     +3.8        (from 31 Hz to 16 kHz)

If you insist on an unmodified HD 800, I would suggest a curve like this (estimated):

+5.4      +0.2      –0.8     –0.8      –1.8      –2       –0.2      –0.6      –2.6      +2

Software equalizers aren't a sacrilege in my book, in fact they're mandatory for driving high-end headphones to their potential, as I see it. There was a time when I avoided equalizers, but that was with hardware equalizers with their awful signal degradations. Well made software equalizers should be free from that.

Just used your suggested EQ curve for un-modded HD800's. Using EasyQ, a parametric equalizer for Foobar2000, and using bandwidths of 1.4 octaves. I love the effect it's had. Tames that over-present 6k area very nicely, without suppressing any of the imaging/soundstage capabilities. Very much appreciated, JaZZ :).

Currently listening with this setup: Foobar > M-DAC > Valhalla 2 > HD800's

Valhalla 2 provides a better, more organic sound, but the balanced outputs of the M-DAC provide a sound that is almost as good, with a more dry, solid-state sound. A Cavalli Liquid Carbon should arrive  at the end of the month (and maybe one of the upcoming Schiit DACs), and I'll be able to see which setup is the best.

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #19,610 of 28,992
It depends how sensitive one is to digital filters. Any dsp will have ringing. At least linear phase has no phase shift, and there are some other excellent algorithms with very little ringing and linear phase iirc.

Still I would prefer in principle to get rid of the ringing directly than just atennuate with eq but no solution is without compromise.

I agree with you on the approach to eliminate the cause of resonances and reflections instead of fixing the result. But it's not possible to completely eliminate the HD 800's inner reflections, there's simply not enough room for corresponding damping measures. Fortunately those that are possible have a greater audible effect than the measurings would suggest. But to perfection the sound you can't renounce electrical equalizing, and if done in the digital domain it should have none of the side effects of the hardware counterparts.

Ringing is indeed possible with increased frequency bands, especially narrow bandwidths. But keep in mind that all phase distortions from the equalizer theoretically will compensate for the phase distortions produced by the headphone – since every ripple and dip in the amplitude reponse comes with a corresponding phase distortion, so equalizing them theoretically restores a flat phase response as well. Theoretically – because it's not possible to perfectly and exactly equalize the amplitude response of a sound transducer with all its erratic irregularities. After all the ringing produced by an increased frequency band has a beneficial effect in that it erases the «negative» ringing produced by a corresponding dip if the latter and the compensation curve are perfectly congruent.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #19,611 of 28,992
  Just used your suggested EQ curve for un-modded HD800's. Using EasyQ, a parametric equalizer for Foobar2000, and using bandwidths of 1.4 octaves. I love the effect it's had. Tames that over-present 6k area very nicely, without suppressing any of the imaging/soundstage capabilities. Very much appreciated, JaZZ :).

Currently listening with this setup: Foobar > M-DAC > Valhalla 2 > HD800's

Valhalla 2 provides a better, more organic sound, but the balanced outputs of the M-DAC provide a sound that is almost as good, with a more dry, solid-state sound. A Cavalli Liquid Carbon should arrive  at the end of the month (and maybe one of the upcoming Schiit DACs), and I'll be able to see which setup is the best.

I'm glad it works for you.
smile.gif
I'm quite unsure about how much my own perception and compensation curve are transferrable to others' (HRTF and all).

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #19,612 of 28,992
Aug 8, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #19,613 of 28,992
Hey all, absolutely loving the HD800s, had them since Tuesday, came the same day as my repaired and recapped Monarchy M22B, both are burning in nicely. To Matttcg, Rumy408, and several others that have had and loved HD800s and exposed me to them, thank you. I fought the HD800 for the last several years, "oh they cant be that good"....Surprisingly, it was spending a week with the HEK that made me finally get off of my butt and get a pair of HD800s in my system. Still waiting on my Draug 2, know it sounded fantastic on Rumy's.

The Monarchy M22B, Taurus Mk.2, and the 800s, even in stock configuration is a tremendous pairing. Classical (a given), jazz, acoustic rock, and well recorded classic rock are awesome, plenty of bass to support my music. I am guessing that those who complain about the bass are into EDM, Hip Hop, or other stuff I on't listen too.

I want to spend time to learn their sound before I start modding them, well I did remove the dust cover....will start with the balanced Draug, then move forward with the Jazz, et. al. mods.

Would appreciate advice and insight from you old hands with the 800, peace..... 

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #19,614 of 28,992
  Hey all, absolutely loving the HD800s, had them since Tuesday, came the same day as my repaired and recapped Monarchy M22B, both are burning in nicely. To Matttcg, Rumy408, and several others that have had and loved HD800s and exposed me to them, thank you. I fought the HD800 for the last several years, "oh they cant be that good"....Surprisingly, it was spending a week with the HEK that made me finally get off of my butt and get a pair of HD800s in my system. Still waiting on my Draug 2, know it sounded fantastic on Rumy's.

The Monarchy M22B, Taurus Mk.2, and the 800s, even in stock configuration is a tremendous pairing. Classical (a given), jazz, acoustic rock, and well recorded classic rock are awesome, plenty of bass to support my music. I am guessing that those who complain about the bass are into EDM, Hip Hop, or other stuff I on't listen too.

I want to spend time to learn their sound before I start modding them, well I did remove the dust cover....will start with the balanced Draug, then move forward with the Jazz, et. al. mods.

Would appreciate advice and insight from you old hands with the 800, peace..... 

You don't really need much to make them sing. The Draug 2 cable will likely negate the need for the Anax mod, but you can experiment and see...it's a very inexpensive mod. I like to put 100+ hours on them (hd800) just for peace of mind, but that's just me. And I'm a little nuts as most people here already know. 

The biggest misconception about the hd800 is that they don't do bass well...BS. If you put the right amp to them, the bass will kick like a pissed off mule. The first time I plugged them into the ifi stack with bass boost engaged, I nearly wet myself. The hd800 also responds well to direct current amps like the Questyle and the variants. With direct current, you'll get a much "smoother" presentation and a very musical one.

I also like the hd800 from certain vintage receivers. Ask Oregonian...he will testify. An old tube amp is shockingly good with the 800.

The real question these days for me is how well the hd800 will pair with the LC. And so we wait... 

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #19,615 of 28,992
  You don't really need much to make them sing. The Draug 2 cable will likely negate the need for the Anax mod, but you can experiment and see...it's a very inexpensive mod. I like to put 100+ hours on them (hd800) just for peace of mind, but that's just me. And I'm a little nuts as most people here already know. 

The biggest misconception about the hd800 is that they don't do bass well...BS. If you put the right amp to them, the bass will kick like a pissed off mule. The first time I plugged them into the ifi stack with bass boost engaged, I nearly wet myself. The hd800 also responds well to direct current amps like the Questyle and the variants. With direct current, you'll get a much "smoother" presentation and a very musical one.

I also like the hd800 from certain vintage receivers. Ask Oregonian...he will testify. An old tube amp is shockingly good with the 800.

The real question these days for me is how well the hd800 will pair with the LC. And so we wait... 

I thought you were going to replace the HD800 with the Ether.   Are you not sure yet, or did you decide to keep both?

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #19,617 of 28,992
Hello,

The hd 800 seems to me made for classic music from what i'm reading.
Dont listen to it usually.
What about electronic/house/rnb/hip hop/trance and other modern genres?
I actually dont like bright HPs.
Like the sound of the HD650.
Want to compliment them with something.
Looking at plannars which have good bass, like he560 or he500.
Found though some slightly used hd800 for 700 something euro.
Just want the bang for the buck like when i bought the 650 for 200 eur.
I dont own crazy expensive amps.
Own the ifi micro stack with the idsd dac and tube buffer.
Is it worth the hd800 for me? Or should go for the he 560 which i can get around 600 or maybie a bit lower.

Thanks

Coming from a HE-6 (very modded) that I loved, the HD800 is a genre master to me - and not bright (not that I'm susceptible to brightness anyway) and to me they are the best sounding headphone I've owned (with around 50 either owned or auditioned of all price levels).  I definitely feel they are superior to the HE560 and HE400i as well. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #19,618 of 28,992

Agree 100% about the bass.  Incredibly impressive and after thinking it might be bass light from my readings over the years it proved false.  Sooooooooo glad I got a pair for myself to hear.

Out of my vintage amps (and that's all I use) they are very impressive.  Thought the HE-6 out of speaker taps was the end all, be all.  Till I got these. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #19,619 of 28,992
  Agree 100% about the bass.  Incredibly impressive and after thinking it might be bass light from my readings over the years it proved false.  Sooooooooo glad I got a pair for myself to hear.

Out of my vintage amps (and that's all I use) they are very impressive.  Thought the HE-6 out of speaker taps was the end all, be all.  Till I got these. 

Glad to have you aboard!  I resisted the HD800 for a long time too.  Fortunately, I have a nice friend who let me borrow his for a few weeks.  After those weeks, I was a believer.
Between HE6 driven by a speaker amp and HD800 + WA22 combo, I think I have reached "end game"... for now 
biggrin.gif

Btw, I am hunting for a good sx-950/1050 locally but no luck yet.

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #19,620 of 28,992

Glad to have you aboard!  I resisted the HD800 for a long time too.  Fortunately, I have a nice friend who let me borrow his for a few weeks.  After those weeks, I was a believer.
Between HE6 driven by a speaker amp and HD800 + WA22 combo, I think I have reached "end game"... for now 
biggrin.gif

Btw, I am hunting for a good sx-950/1050 locally but no luck yet.

The only headphone that I've heard that is better than the HD800 + WA22 combo is the SR009.    Obviously, I have not heard everything out there (HD800 + Cavalli...the HE1000...the Abyss...yet).

Congrats!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back