The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #19,666 of 28,992
I believe they were having some serious backlog issues a while back. I'm not sure how it is now. It's something to consider if it's a cable that's needed asap

It is a cable that I kind of want ASAP, I don't know where else to turn of the specifications I am looking for.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #19,667 of 28,992
Most of the aftermarket cable retailers tend to have a lot of orders so they have a backlog. Of course you should ask what BTG's backlog is since I do not know what it is. As an alternative I do recommend charleston cable company (http://www.c3audio.com) and they also made my HD800 cable. It's not cheap and a good amount more than the prices at BTG. The turnaround time was around a week and I'm pretty happy with mine. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #19,669 of 28,992
  Can anyone recommend a 4-5 foot very thin, flexible and soft HD800 cable? I do not like thick, tangle free or hard/stiff cables and I currently cannot stand the length and the stiffness of the stock cable. I am not looking for a cable to change the sound or am chasing better sound. I just want a cable that keeps at least stock cable sound (wouldn't mind a more warm/bass heavy signature either but it doesn't matter either way) but is 4-5 feet in length, VERY THIN, flexible and soft as heavy, stiff and thick cables drive me nuts. 

I was looking at potentially purchasing a custom cable from mimic or bestinverse or possible a ebay cable. Can anyone make a recommendation based on what I am looking for?

I just bought from a member a Norne Audio Vanquish 5' cable that is similar in appearance and flexibility to the Q French Silk cable I have on my LA7000.  Very light and flexible. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #19,670 of 28,992
Are there any protypes of the EC Blackwidow Amp making the rounds at shows/meets?

Am interested in reading impressions on how it matches up with the HD800.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #19,671 of 28,992
So now I know what people mean when they talk about the HD800 as almost too revealing.

The new Nelsons/Boston Symphony Shostakovich 10 record is almost unlistenable with these - because of how resolved and present the audience noise captured in the live recording is.  So distracting.  And quite different to the experience with say the LCDX.

Hmmm

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #19,672 of 28,992
HD800 is the best way to turn off the Dolby noise reduction on your recordings 
tongue.gif

Ali

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #19,673 of 28,992
2 years ago I sold my HD800. Today I bought a used pair here in Sweden. You have to part sometimes to see how much you miss a thing.
At this time I had a Auralic Vega DAC and a Master 9 and Silver Poison cables. All the untamed energy from the Sabre DAC was thrown into the amp and into the cans via silver cables. That was simply to much and really fatiguing. Instead of selling the DAC I bought a LCD-X then and was quiet happy for a short while.

Now I have a Totaldac DAC/Server - better cabling (just searching for a good balanced cable, maybe Norne or DHC - somebody who will sell?
smile.gif
) and things sound just right through the Master 9 which opens upp the HD800 quiet a bit for the sweetness of the Dac. I feel that the HD800 now will get more listening time than my LCD-3F.

What I want to say is that there are so many discussions about the right amp for the HD800. But for me was the key to get the right source - DAC. I feel that R2R-DACs suit very well with the HD800. 

I really thought I should buy one of the really hyped Ethers or Odins (even if Kennerton Odin just is hyped in France
wink.gif
) when I realized that they maybe sound better than the HD800 with cheaper amps because they are less power hungry and more forgiving (?). Maybe the HD800 has a bigger potential though with better sources - this is what I suppose. There are still unique characteristics (airiness, detail, soundstage) that make the HD800 hard to beat.

For me it took 2 years to realize that and I had to invest much money to come to a point there everything (OK...nearly everything - I have to accept a little sibillance with some music) sounds right and involving with the HD800. I regret that I sold it. I should have chosen another strategy. But it is never to late...

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #19,674 of 28,992
  2 years ago I sold my HD800. Today I bought a used pair here in Sweden. You have to part sometimes to see how much you miss a thing.
At this time I had a Auralic Vega DAC and a Master 9 and Silver Poison cables. All the untamed energy from the Sabre DAC was thrown into the amp and into the cans via silver cables. That was simply to much and really fatiguing. Instead of selling the DAC I bought a LCD-X then and was quiet happy for a short while.

Now I have a Totaldac DAC/Server - better cabling (just searching for a good balanced cable, maybe Norne or DHC - somebody who will sell?
smile.gif
) and things sound just right through the Master 9 which opens upp the HD800 quiet a bit for the sweetness of the Dac. I feel that the HD800 now will get more listening time than my LCD-3F.

What I want to say is that there are so many discussions about the right amp for the HD800. But for me was the key to get the right source - DAC. I feel that R2R-DACs suit very well with the HD800. 

I really thought I should buy one of the really hyped Ethers or Odins (even if Kennerton Odin just is hyped in France
wink.gif
) when I realized that they maybe sound better than the HD800 with cheaper amps because they are less power hungry and more forgiving (?). Maybe the HD800 has a bigger potential though with better sources - this is what I suppose. There are still unique characteristics (airiness, detail, soundstage) that make the HD800 hard to beat.

For me it took 2 years to realize that and I had to invest much money to come to a point there everything (OK...nearly everything - I have to accept a little sibillance with some music) sounds right and involving with the HD800. I regret that I sold it. I should have chosen another strategy. But it is never to late...

HD800 is indeed freakin amazing. Everyone that measured a pair will know that HD800 is indeed endgame. They also sounds absolutely brilliant.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #19,675 of 28,992
Yeah....listening to Pink Floyd thru these is a life changing experience 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #19,677 of 28,992
Aug 11, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #19,678 of 28,992
So it would seem the HD 800's are rather well built. Just had a cat sprint through my room, knock them off the desk, they then bounce on the carpet, and I pick them up to see that they survived without any visible damage. Hopefully one time was all they will have to take but its nice that they are not extremely fragile. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #19,679 of 28,992
  So it would seem the HD 800's are rather well built. Just had a cat sprint through my room, knock them off the desk, they then bounce on the carpet, and I pick them up to see that they survived without any visible damage. Hopefully one time was all they will have to take but its nice that they are not extremely fragile. 

With the exception of the paint, the HD800's are very durable headphones.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #19,680 of 28,992
The thing I love about the 800s, besides the SQ, is how incredibly comfortable they are. After wearing them my 560s feel cramped and hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back