The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #19,696 of 29,013
Yeah,the Abyss and HE1K are way over priced. I did not care for either of them. HD800's are the better bang for your buck. Only phones I thought were worth more are the SR009, but even they are overpriced unless you buy from PJ (I didn't thouh, I bought mine from Headamp, BHSE is on the way...?? :) ).

Hopefully your BHSE gets there before the snow flies. Used to do an outing for customers at Madden's Resort for Labor Day Weekend, frost was already on the ground (delayed our tee times:wink:).

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #19,698 of 29,013
Here is the current HD800 rig. The Studio Six is an incredible amp with every headphone I have used with it. It is the single best amp I have ever used with my HD800's. Great job @KB and the ALO Audio team!

MacBook Pro with Amarra 3.03. Light Harmonic Lightspeed 10G USB cable. VPI Scout 1.1
with Dynavector 10X5. Stillpoints LPI Long Spindle. HD800's with Toxic Cables Silver Widow SW22 & SW25's.

Studio Six with RCA VT231 Grey Glass, Bendix Jan Cea 5992 (2), Sylvania OB2 (2) & USAF-596 with 2359Glenn adapter  and Stillpoints Ultra SS footers. Power via Green Line power cable.

ALO Audio Phono Stage with Electro Harmonix 6SN7 & Electro Harmonix 12AX7 (2)

Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse with Femto Clock upgrade

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #19,699 of 29,013
^^THIS^^ Absolutely beautiful set up, longbowbbs

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #19,701 of 29,013

Here is the current HD800 rig. The Studio Six is an incredible amp with every headphone I have used with it. It is the single best amp I have ever used with my HD800's. Great job @KB and the ALO Audio team!

Would be grateful if you could mention which are the other amps that you tried with HD 800 ?

Punit, it is a long list.

Some of the recent contenders are:

Amps I own or have owned at some time:
Moon Neo 430HA (It is still my SS reference)
Cary SLI-80 Ultimate
Decware CSP2+
Decware Taboo MK III
LH Labs Pulse Infinity
ifi Micro iDSD

Amps I have recently reviewed or borrowed for extended periods:
Cavalli Liquid Crimson
Aurender Flow
Heed Canalot with Q-PSU Power Supply
Meier Audio Corda Classic

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #19,702 of 29,013
^^THIS^^ Absolutely beautiful set up, @longbowbbs

Thanks Wildcatsare1! It is fun to come home after work with this rig.  
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #19,703 of 29,013

MacBook Pro with Amarra 3.03. Light Harmonic Lightspeed 10G USB cable. VPI Scout 1.1
with Dynavector 10X5. Stillpoints LPI Long Spindle. HD800's with Toxic Cables Silver Widow SW22 & SW25's.

Studio Six with RCA VT231 Grey Glass, Bendix Jan Cea 5992 (2), Sylvania OB2 (2) & USAF-596 with 2359Glenn adapter  and Stillpoints Ultra SS footers. Power via Green Line power cable.

Everything down to the spindle looks amazing!! That studio six tube amp is quite a nice pairing I hear with the 800's. Compensates for the 800's very detailed treble by infusing a bit more warmth rather than bite. Anyway, this is a beautiful rig and for the record, ALO cables are simply fantastic. I have one myself. It's all about taking pride in your rig. You've done it. Great phono setup.
One question, how much do those tubes set you back and what's their longevity?

Cheers.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #19,704 of 29,013

Everything down to the spindle looks amazing!! That studio six tube amp is quite a nice pairing I hear with the 800's. Compensates for the 800's very detailed treble by infusing a bit more warmth rather than bite. Anyway, this is a beautiful rig and for the record, ALO cables are simply fantastic. I have one myself. It's all about taking pride in your rig. You've done it. Great phono setup.
One question, how much do those tubes set you back and what's their longevity?

Cheers.

The RCA VT-231 was a gift from another Head-Fier (Thanks again dminches!) The Bendix can be had for $100-$150 depending on vendor. The OB2's are stock and replacements are generally under $20 each. The USAF-596 was cheap a couple of years ago, but seems to have gotten popular enough to where it is running +$100 when you can find one. This one was another gift (Thanks ClaytonSF!) Then you need to 5U4G adapter as well for another $30 or so.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #19,705 of 29,013
The RCA VT-231 was a gift from another Head-Fier (Thanks again dminches!) The Bendix can be had for $100-$150 depending on vendor. The OB2's are stock and replacements are generally under $20 each. The USAF-596 was cheap a couple of years ago, but seems to have gotten popular enough to where it is running +$100 when you can find one. This one was another gift (Thanks ClaytonSF!) Then you need to 5U4G adapter as well for another $30 or so.

That's not bad price wise, also tube rolling can be a lot of fun. I'm sure you've tried many tubes and for that price it's worth experimenting. I like what you have, but I do prefer solid state amps like say a Burson soloist.
Anyway, give Pink Floyd's The final cut a spin sometime on your beautiful rig. The use of holophonics for the vocals will sound so beautiful through those HD 8's. :)

Happy listening and thanks for the pics.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #19,706 of 29,013

That's not bad price wise, also tube rolling can be a lot of fun. I'm sure you've tried many tubes and for that price it's worth experimenting. I like what you have, but I do prefer solid state amps like say a Burson soloist.
Anyway, give Pink Floyd's The final cut a spin sometime on your beautiful rig. The use of holophonics for the vocals will sound so beautiful through those HD 8's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy listening and thanks for the pics.

Great suggestion. Pink Floyd it is!

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #19,707 of 29,013
Great suggestion. Pink Floyd it is!

Ok. It's not the happiest album I assure you, but sonically I think you'll really appreciate for how the album is recorded. You've got great gear, so you'll be able to exploit all the wonderful and unique characteristics The Final Cut has to offer. You'll love the dynamic range! Some of the best I've heard on a single recording.

Enjoy my friend.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #19,708 of 29,013
Normally not my genre, but god damnit Prodigy - The Fat of the Land is crazy with the HD800. 

Nusrat Ali Khan is also worth a try if you like eastern music.

Damn, Prodigy sounds fantastic on the HD800s! I am not a rap fan, a vey suburban old fart, hopefully it's not a death blow to Prodigy that someone as completely unhip as me enjoys their music:sunglasses:, thanks Moonhead

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #19,709 of 29,013
Okay, guys. Current recommendations on a copper cable for the hd800 is what I seek. I put a strong emphasis on the flexibility of the cable. 

I've owned the Norne Draug 2 and think it sounds fantastic, and although I might go back with it I was hoping for a little better flexibility while retaining most of the sonic benefits of the Draug 2.

Suggestions?

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #19,710 of 29,013
Someone who can recommend the Cardas clear cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back