The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #19,685 of 29,013
I am super sensitive to sibilance and I used to hate the HD800 for that when I tried it on other people's setups. 

I now use the HD800 with a Norne Solv X cable running balanced to LH Labs Pulse XFi (SPDIF via Audiophilleo 1 and Lightspeed 2G USB cable) with LPS and using Foobar and WASAPI.

ZERO sibilance. Everything is super smooth and detailed. Bass hits are strong. Sub bass is present. I have no idea if the serial number thing is for real but this is one in the 3XXXX range. 

I've been converted. I am now looking to sell the rest of my setup to see if a HE1000 is better. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #19,686 of 29,013
I am super sensitive to sibilance and I used to hate the HD800 for that when I tried it on other people's setups. 

I now use the HD800 with a Norne Solv X cable running balanced to LH Labs Pulse XFi (SPDIF via Audiophilleo 1 and Lightspeed 2G USB cable) with LPS and using Foobar and WASAPI.

ZERO sibilance. Everything is super smooth and detailed. Bass hits are strong. Sub bass is present. I have no idea if the serial number thing is for real but this is one in the 3XXXX range. 

I've been converted. I am now looking to sell the rest of my setup to see if a HE1000 is better. 

Congrats!
And he1000 will be a great complimentary headphone to hd800 :)

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #19,687 of 29,013
Hmm got the ADL iHP 35Hx cable, the 1.3m version. It's long enough for desk use, but it doesn't give you much room to move around. It's actually perfect length for my desk. It's built really well, looks absolutely stunning, and it's sound sig is perhaps slightly warm. I don't believe cables make a big change, but it does make minor changes. In this case, the change was a slightly warmer sound, which I absolutely love.

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #19,688 of 29,013
The thing I love about the 800s, besides the SQ, is how incredibly comfortable they are. After wearing them my 560s feel cramped and hot.

I could not agree more, I can wear these for hours and has absolutely no issues...no hot ears...no neck pain, no ear pain....the ear pads and headband are wonderful

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #19,690 of 29,013
I agree, they're extremely comfy and "disappear" after just a few minutes. Though, I wouldn't mind a bit more clamping pressure.

Wonder if the engineers, after the HD650 "death grip", relaxed it just a tad to much? Mine are really burning in nicely sound fantastic on my SS amp, and if I want a little more mellow sound I hook up the Little Dot Mk. 3.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #19,691 of 29,013
Wonder if the engineers, after the HD650 "death grip", relaxed it just a tad to much? Mine are really burning in nicely sound fantastic on my SS amp, and if I want a little more mellow sound I hook up the Little Dot Mk. 3.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the HD650s were tight. :D

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #19,692 of 29,013
bearFNF you have an incredible headphone collection! I recently added a Monarch M22B R2R DAC. It arrived the same day from getting a new transformer and being recapped as my new HD800s. Guess I could have introduced one new item at a time, but my patience failed and I really wanted to get moving on burning both in.

How does the Yggy compare to your Uber Bifrost, which of you headphones gets the most head time?

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #19,693 of 29,013
bearFNF you have an incredible headphone collection! I recently added a Monarch M22B R2R DAC. It arrived the same day from getting a new transformer and being recapped as my new HD800s. Guess I could have introduced one new item at a time, but my patience failed and I really wanted to get moving on burning both in.

How does the Yggy compare to your Uber Bifrost, which of you headphones gets the most head time?
Thanks,it has grown mostly due to headfi :D at least that is my story. ..

The Yggdrasil is more detailed and sounds more Natural?? realistic?? than the uberfrost. But it is also more versatile (balanced, more connections,etc.) so it fits very well in my system.

Right now the SR009 get the most time,followed by the PS500 (I spend a lot of time working on the computer which is where the PS500 are), and then the HD800's. At work I listen to the iGrado. The rest are all in their boxes waiting for me to stop procrastinating and sell them.

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #19,694 of 29,013
Thanks,it has grown mostly due to headfi :D at least that is my story. ..

The Yggdrasil is more detailed and sounds more Natural?? realistic?? than the uberfrost. But it is also more versatile (balanced, more connections,etc.) so it fits very well in my system.

Right now the SR009 get the most time,followed by the PS500 (I spend a lot of time working on the computer which is where the PS500 are), and then the HD800's. At work I listen to the iGrado. The rest are all in their boxes waiting for me to stop procrastinating and sell them.

Just traded my PS500e and 1000s (+$) for the 800s, they were new in box and unregistered, so I was able to register them as new. The Seller received them as a gift and already had a pair.

Loved the HEK when I had them, probably my next purchase, just having a tough time justifying the price.

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #19,695 of 29,013
Just traded my PS500e and 1000s (+$) for the 800s, they were new in box and unregistered, so I was able to register them as new. The Seller received them as a gift and already had a pair.

Loved the HEK when I had them, probably my next purchase, just having a tough time justifying the price.

Yeah,the Abyss and HE1K are way over priced. I did not care for either of them. HD800's are the better bang for your buck. Only phones I thought were worth more are the SR009, but even they are overpriced unless you buy from PJ (I didn't thouh, I bought mine from Headamp, BHSE is on the way...?? :) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back