The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #15,827 of 28,989
I think you will be quite happy with the Q cable on the HD800.  Smooth as silk (no pun inteneded) and probably the best of the cables I've used with the HD800.  In the end, the earrings drove me nuts but that's just me.  YMMV.  Enjoy!!
Quote:
 anyone know what I should expect from the Q on the senns? 

I'm waiting for mine to arrive. I've ordered both a hifiman and an HD800 adapter.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #15,828 of 28,989
  I think you will be quite happy with the Q cable on the HD800.  Smooth as silk (no pun inteneded) and probably the best of the cables I've used with the HD800.  In the end, the earrings drove me nuts but that's just me.  YMMV.  Enjoy!!
Quote:
 anyone know what I should expect from the Q on the senns? 

I'm waiting for mine to arrive. I've ordered both a hifiman and an HD800 adapter.

thanks so much for the response. very encouraging.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #15,829 of 28,989
  Hello,

I would like to order one Headphone to be coupled with AK120 II / or Titan + Centranse HI M8 LX XL4.
And i'm hesitating between HIFIMAN 400i / HIFIMAN 560 and Sennheiser HD 800 (my preference is going to HD 800) but would like to get confirmation ... as i have never listen to any of them.

Please, which on could you advise me ?
I listen Reggae, Zouk, lets say general music (african ...) i think you catch me.

Thx.  

I can't specificly comment on your planned set up but in regards to your music preference :

I recently got into African music a little and have a few albums of Anouar Brahem [ECM] and
Ballake Sissoko & Vincent Segal "Chamber Music" [Six Degrees Records] and all sound great on the HD800.

But - these are great recordings to begin with. When your favorite musicians and their labels have the ambition to make technically great recordings, you will enjoy these on the HD800, no matter what specific style. If the music is heavily processed, multi track recordings pieced together and mixed for audiences using boom boxes and car radio on a truck, then listening to these recordings will be no fun on the HD800. These phones tell it like it is.

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #15,831 of 28,989
Received the HD800 in the mail today and I have to say it has lived up to everything I have heard. Right now I am pairing it with either the CLAS -dB and ALO Rx mk3 or the Valhalla 1 and Bifrost Uber. After all the glowing reviews I ordered the Valhalla 2, so I have that to look forward to, as well. 

In the meantime, do you guys have any cable recommendations? I am definitely experiencing some of the brightness and fatigue that comes with the HD800, so I would like something that tones down the brightness or "peakiness" of these headphones (or, if nothing else, does not exacerbate the issue). 

Thanks!

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #15,832 of 28,989
  Received the HD800 in the mail today and I have to say it has lived up to everything I have heard. Right now I am pairing it with either the CLAS -dB and ALO Rx mk3 or the Valhalla 1 and Bifrost Uber. After all the glowing reviews I ordered the Valhalla 2, so I have that to look forward to, as well. 

In the meantime, do you guys have any cable recommendations? I am definitely experiencing some of the brightness and fatigue that comes with the HD800, so I would like something that tones down the brightness or "peakiness" of these headphones (or, if nothing else, does not exacerbate the issue). 

Thanks!

I found that going to a balanced cable (if your amp, such as the Sennhesier HDVD800) supports it, makes things a bit darker.  Sennheiser sells a balanced cable.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #15,833 of 28,989
Are they new? Whats their serial no?

THX

Quote:

Thanks!

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #15,834 of 28,989

Thanks!

I am using the Sennheiser balanced cable CH800S.  I don't find the HD800 to be overly bright on most music.  I do not have after-market cables but info posted by other Head-Fi folks indicate that copper cables will reduce the bright treble.  One copper cable mentioned is the Moon Audio Black Dragon.  Here's the link:

http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables.html 

Cheers -
RCBinTN

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #15,835 of 28,989

27xxx

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #15,837 of 28,989

Thanks!

I recommend this single copper crystal litz cable highly: http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/index.php?route=product/category&path=17_94

I like it a lot and in the Norne thread are quite a few very positive comments. Craftmanship and communication are excellent, too.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #15,838 of 28,989
When I purchased my HD800s in 2009, I had them shipped directly to Stefan AudioArt, where they were hardwired with balanced VOICE cables and XLR connectors.

They are currently being modified with the Endorphin Balanced Hardwired Cable and HD800 Ultra-Modification.

Stefan AudioArt came highly recommended when I auditioned headphones and amplifiers at RMAF. In a recent email correspondance regarding the Crayon CHA-1, Frederick Crane at Stereodesk commented on the above modifications with "That's my favorite HD800 recipe!"

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #15,839 of 28,989
i have moon audio black dragon deluxe cable for my hd 800. single ended. it is well made, look good and was affordable. i love moon audio cables. i also have a silver dragon for my he-6. good stuff that is high quality and affordable.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #15,840 of 28,989
Hi, i've been trying to find the HD800 sound in speakers, and i think i found it in GENELEC 
smily_headphones1.gif

They sound insanely good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back