The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #15,857 of 28,992

they should both sound good!

I am running single ended so did not get the reference you'd made to the ch800s. I know zip about them.
but an after market cable will open up the high end of the LCd3s some. many report a general "lifting of a veil" they didn't know was there. that was my experience.
conversely, people go with after market cables on the hd800s to tame the highs a bit and for overall improvement. but as I said, I don't know the ch800s and it may be doing the trick for you already. certainly nothing to rush into. I used my lcd 3 default cables for a year happily before they failed. the I found both Q cables and Charleston cable company cables to be a very noticeable improvement over the originals.

enjoy!

oh, what's the rest of your path" (dac, amp and such); and are you playing high resolution files or analog or cds or mp3s or streaming or )?

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #15,859 of 28,992

they should both sound good!

I am running single ended so did not get the reference you'd made to the ch800s. I know zip about them.
but an after market cable will open up the high end of the LCd3s some. many report a general "lifting of a veil" they didn't know was there. that was my experience.
conversely, people go with after market cables on the hd800s to tame the highs a bit and for overall improvement. but as I said, I don't know the ch800s and it may be doing the trick for you already. certainly nothing to rush into. I used my lcd 3 default cables for a year happily before they failed. the I found both Q cables and Charleston cable company cables to be a very noticeable improvement over the originals.

enjoy!

oh, what's the rest of your path" (dac, amp and such); and are you playing high resolution files or analog or cds or mp3s or streaming or )?

OPPO HA-1 DAC/AMP
Sennheiser HD800 w/Balanced
Audeze LDC 3 w/Balanced
Audioquest carbon USB cable
Sony XA7ES Transport
Jriver 19 Media Centre - playing flac, DSD, 384khz WAV

Id post pics but it keeps saying i cant?

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #15,861 of 28,992

I love them both.  I got the HD800s at a decent price as well.  They are MUCH more comfortable and lighter than the LCD3 - but the LCD3 just..makes me smile when i use them..im not sure why but i just prefer a warmer sound. 

Once thing i noticed, MP3s sound terrible with the HD800s..with the LCD3's it almost makes them sound passable and higher qualities.  You cant hide terrible recordings behind the Sennheisers...it really does highlight inefficiencies...

Try dail in some warmth with a high equality EQ if you prefer a warmer sound.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #15,862 of 28,992
Quote:AaronBiggy
 I read in an article that despite all claims, the Aug k 701 has the flattest frequency response.. . . Is it true. . And if yes, I know I shouldn't post this here.

DON"T believe everything you read.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #15,864 of 28,992
I'm since a while in pure love with the HD800 (really new one S/N: 355xx), in my eyes (ears) with enabled crossfeed best headphones for classical music
o2smile.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #15,865 of 28,992
What is the best way to clean fingerprints of the grey mesh?

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #15,868 of 28,992
  I'm since a while in pure love with the HD800 (really new one S/N: 355xx), in my eyes (ears) with enabled crossfeed best headphones for classical music
o2smile.gif

Totally agree with you! I'm also a Classical music listener and the analytical nature of the HD800 is perfect for it.

The accurate sound staging makes it even better -  you can pinpoint where the instruments are

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #15,869 of 28,992
  I have a general question: Do you enjoy your HD800 or your speakers more? and if you could keep just one of them, which one would you keep? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Tough choice. I own both speakers and headphones but I don't intend to sell either.

I'm keeping the speakers because no matter what, speakers produce a "more natural" stereo image that makes the music enjoyable. It's the "musical" of my setup.

I'm keeping the headphones because they are very analytical, so when I want to do in-depth listening to a piece of music, they fit the bill way better than my speakers.

My 2 cents

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #15,870 of 28,992

Totally agree with you! I'm also a Classical music listener and the analytical nature of the HD800 is perfect for it.

The accurate sound staging makes it even better -  you can pinpoint where the instruments are

That's true, I compared all kind of headphones (incl. flag ships from HiFiMan, Audeze, AKG, Beyerdynamic) and only the really expensive STAX 009 tops the HD800 for classic music listening, but the big price difference and no portable use was a big no go for me. And with crossfeed enabled, the awesome sound stage from the HD800 is now like real stereo loud speakers and a dream setup for classic fans.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back