The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #15,841 of 28,992
  When I purchased my HD800s in 2009, I had them shipped directly to Stefan AudioArt, where they were hardwired with balanced VOICE cables and XLR connectors.

They are currently being modified with the Endorphin Balanced Hardwired Cable and HD800 Ultra-Modification.

Stefan AudioArt came highly recommended when I auditioned headphones and amplifiers at RMAF. In a recent email correspondance regarding the Crayon CHA-1, Frederick Crane at Stereodesk commented on the above modifications with "That's my favorite HD800 recipe!"

I can heartily approve of these mods (hardwired, endorphin, with their mod) for the 800.

I would described the results as transformative.  
atsmile.gif

JJ 

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #15,845 of 28,992
Hello,

I would like to order one Headphone to be coupled with AK120 II / or Titan + Centranse HI M8 LX XL4.
And i'm hesitating between HIFIMAN 400i / HIFIMAN 560 and Sennheiser HD 800 (my preference is going to HD 800) but would like to get confirmation ... as i have never listen to any of them.

Please, which on could you advise me ?
I listen Reggae, Zouk, lets say general music (african ...) i think you catch me.

Thx.  

The HD800 has the best chance due to its high efficiency though the combo may still be less than optimal because of the limited power of the AK120. You may want to consider the TH-900 as we'll.

Another thing you may want to consider is to have the AK120 modified by Vinnie at RWA, dropping the output impedance to better drive headphones.

Good Luck!

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #15,846 of 28,992
Can anyone comment on how big a change/upgrade it would be if I move from my current M3 with SE outputs to BHA-1 with balanced outputs?

Debating if it's worth the money. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Should probably throw in that I'm using the Gungnir as the DAC via optical/USB

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #15,847 of 28,992

Feel like this is really my end game setup after a pair of RCA upgrades. I have heard the HD800 on a few higher end amps, but I don't really feel like that tiny upgrade is justifiable considering the price. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #15,848 of 28,992
I read in an article that despite all claims, the Aug k 701 has the flattest frequency response.. . . Is it true. . And if yes, I know I shouldn't post this here. But which is the in ear monitor with the flattest response?

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #15,850 of 28,992
  Hi, i've been trying to find the HD800 sound in speakers, and i think i found it in GENELEC 
smily_headphones1.gif

They sound insanely good.

I went to their web site - interesting.  Which model did you go with?

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #15,851 of 28,992
I love my new set of HD800s running with the CH 800 S - very clean, transparent and neutral.  However, i do prefer the warmer sound of my Audeze LCD-3's which actually make me smile a bit more.  2 very different and distinctive sounds for sure.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #15,852 of 28,992
  I love my new set of HD800s running with the CH 800 S - very clean, transparent and neutral.  However, i do prefer the warmer sound of my Audeze LCD-3's which actually make me smile a bit more.  2 very different and distinctive sounds for sure.

I totally get it. but one o these minutes yer gonna push play on something, and think "man, i wish this sounded more open (or less veiled or had more clearly extended highs" or possibly "damn, that last recording sounded friggin' awesome but this one isn't quite up to snuff") and you're going to swap out yer lcd3s for the hd800s and you're gonna say "holy canoli"!!!

then the 800s are gonna grow on you for certain types of music or certain recordings or what have you and you'll find yourself using them more than expected.

nice 2 sets of cans to have at yer fingertips aren't they? I love the variety

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #15,853 of 28,992

I totally get it. but one o these minutes yer gonna push play on something, and think "man, i wish this sounded more open (or less veiled or had more clearly extended highs" or possibly "damn, that last recording sounded friggin' awesome but this one isn't quite up to snuff") and you're going to swap out yer lcd3s for the hd800s and you're gonna say "holy canoli"!!!

then the 800s are gonna grow on you for certain types of music or certain recordings or what have you and you'll find yourself using them more than expected.

I love them both.  I got the HD800s at a decent price as well.  They are MUCH more comfortable and lighter than the LCD3 - but the LCD3 just..makes me smile when i use them..im not sure why but i just prefer a warmer sound. 

Once thing i noticed, MP3s sound terrible with the HD800s..with the LCD3's it almost makes them sound passable and higher qualities.  You cant hide terrible recordings behind the Sennheisers...it really does highlight inefficiencies...

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #15,854 of 28,992

I love them both.  I got the HD800s at a decent price as well.  They are MUCH more comfortable and lighter than the LCD3 - but the LCD3 just..makes me smile when i use them..im not sure why but i just prefer a warmer sound. 

Once thing i noticed, MP3s sound terrible with the HD800s..with the LCD3's it almost makes them sound passable and higher qualities.  You cant hide terrible recordings behind the Sennheisers...it really does highlight inefficiencies...

oh yeah, the mids of the lcds are warm and yummy. that is often what makes people smile and it, and the nature of the highs, are certainly waay more forgiving of less than stellar recordings / sources than the senns. such a great combo!  

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #15,855 of 28,992

oh yeah, the mids of the lcds are warm and yummy. that is often what makes people smile and it, and the nature of the highs, are certainly waay more forgiving of less than stellar recordings / sources than the senns. such a great combo!  

what cables have you on the lcds and the senns at this point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back