The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #15,378 of 28,989
Nov 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #15,380 of 28,989

Too Damn Good.  Just Too Damn Good. 

But it's above his $2K price.

Ah yea. Id love to hear it, I cant wait for my stratus. You got anything else in the pipeline? 

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #15,381 of 28,989
Thanks for those.

Not a bass head, but not a treble head either. Don't like lack of bass when the recording has or calls for it.

Looking at FR graphs of HD800, it's very linear. Bass is not rolled off at all. So where are those comments saying its on bright side coming from? If HD800 is revealing, that would only mean upstream gear are at fault.

Budget is around US$2,000, more or less. What amps in this price range makes it bass-sufficient? If there are cheaper ones, better, of course.

For $2,000, I'm Very pleased with my Sennheiser HDVD 800 amp/DAC with my HD 800. Received wisdom is that the amp in the HDVD 800 is stellar with the HD 800 but the DAC in there is just so-so. So you may want to consider the HDVD600, which is the same amp but no DAC, for $1,600, then now or later buy a better DAC.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #15,382 of 28,989
Thanks for those.

Not a bass head, but not a treble head either. Don't like lack of bass when the recording has or calls for it.

Looking at FR graphs of HD800, it's very linear. Bass is not rolled off at all. So where are those comments saying its on bright side coming from? If HD800 is revealing, that would only mean upstream gear are at fault.

Budget is around US$2,000, more or less. What amps in this price range makes it bass-sufficient? If there are cheaper ones, better, of course.

If you are considering tube amps, a mainline would be be well within your price range (even if you wanted to pay to have it built for you), and pairs marvelously with hd800's.  Highly regulated, constant current loaded, single gain stage, non-feedback parafeed designs, with high quality transformers, are the way to go IMO, if you want a great headphone tube amp.  ECP implemented something very similar in their much acclaimed, limited run L-2, but unfortunately those are very hard to come by and sold for a little bit above your price range.

If I was going to go ss, I would definitely jump on the Rag bandwagon based on the high praise that amp has received both from listeners and EE's alike.   

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #15,384 of 28,989

If you are considering tube amps, a mainline would be be well within your price range (even if you wanted to pay to have it built for you), and pairs marvelously with hd800's.  Highly regulated, constant current loaded, single gain stage, non-feedback parafeed designs, with high quality transformers, are the way to go IMO, if you want a great headphone tube amp.  ECP implemented something very similar in their much acclaimed, limited run L-2, but unfortunately those are very hard to come by and sold for a little bit above your price range.

If I was going to go ss, I would definitely jump on the Rag bandwagon based on the high praise that amp has received both from listeners and EE's alike.   

Who builds the Mainline amps?

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #15,385 of 28,989

Hopefully the new Schitt Stack..

Rag and Yggy? 

Will it replace anything? 

You will let me know how the Yggy sounds compared to the AMR wont you? 

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #15,387 of 28,989

Who builds the Mainline amps?

Occasionally, a free offer like this pops up: http://www.head-fi.org/t/739297/ic-bottlehead-mainline

Alternatively, bottlehead has a recommended paid builder with a dedicated subforum: http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=07nhemjhlmrbe9n9cgg0hmapn6&board=42.0

Then again, for the cost of the build, you could probably buy and build yourself a crack + speedball (which was the first thing I ever soldered - and a perfect beginner project), and that would give you all the skills you need to complete a mainline.  Bottlehead's step by step directions really can't be beat for those with an interest in diy.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #15,389 of 28,989
The Violectric v281 would be an excellent choice for that budget if you're using balanced cables.

With the HD800's whats on the recording is basically what you get, especially with regards the bass.
The HD800's do have a treble peak but a good amp will also give you plenty of bass, non recessed midrange and smooth treble which wil l make the treble peak less noticeable or troublesome. It's certainly no issue for me.
It's when source/amp have lack of bass, body and weight in the midrange or are themselves brighter than neutral that issues occur IMO.
Some amps do prefer lower impedance phones than the HD800's so it's no surprise some don't sound very good with the HD800's.

With your budget I would recommend Audio-gd Master-9 (I have Master-6 which is superb with the HD800's) or the new Schiit Ragnorak which is supposed to sound very good with the HD800's.
For tube amps there are far more possibilities that are less likely to have the issues mentioned earlier and I am sure other people will add suggestions as I am a solid state guy.

The Vioelectric V281 would be an excellent match if your in the solid state amp excellent  for the HD800. If you looking tubes the WA22 from Woo is excellent with upgrade tube is also a good choice.

HD-800 is the best dynamic headphone that I've heard when paired with a proper DAC and AMP. 
For your budget the Audio-gd Master 9, Schiit Ragnarok, Auralic Taurus or Violectric V281 would be interesting choices :)

IMO the best option is to try seriously the hd800 from any serious amp before spending much money. SCHIIT Vali or matrix m-stage are good and affordable options. If with those amps, the hd800 has not enough bass to your tastes, then Your best options are some light Eq or other headphones.

Spending big bucks in amps in order to change the signature of any headphone is not something I'd advice.

My 2 cents.

Schiit Ragnorak 

For $2,000, I'm Very pleased with my Sennheiser HDVD 800 amp/DAC with my HD 800. Received wisdom is that the amp in the HDVD 800 is stellar with the HD 800 but the DAC in there is just so-so. So you may want to consider the HDVD600, which is the same amp but no DAC, for $1,600, then now or later buy a better DAC.

Thank you all of you. Very helpful.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back