The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #15,346 of 28,989

Yeah, was thinking of an amplifier based on the Lehmann BCL. Since this was the recommended amp before the HDVA-600 came out...

How about the Schiit Asgard 2 or just buy a new iCan v2 and hope it doesn't have ground issues heh

Bring your HD800 to E1 Audio at Orchard Rd and try it with the Schiit Vali or Asgard 2.

Truth be told, I had the iCan v2 for a couple of months driving the HD800 and I wasn't a fan of the pairing.
Too harsh, bright and brittle sounding, and that was with the X-bass activated.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #15,347 of 28,989

Bring your HD800 to E1 Audio at Orchard Rd and try it with the Schiit Vali or Asgard 2.

Truth be told, I had the iCan v2 for a couple of months driving the HD800 and I wasn't a fan of the pairing.
Too harsh, bright and brittle sounding, and that was with the X-bass activated.

Need to bring down DAC, computer and CDs??

I am always lazy with auditioning aha

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #15,350 of 28,989

Need to bring down DAC, computer and CDs??

I am always lazy with auditioning aha

Up to you actually.
Or you can always use their DAP and music selection.

The reason I asked you to bring your HD800 is because they don't carry Sennheiser products

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #15,351 of 28,989

Up to you actually.
Or you can always use their DAP and music selection.

The reason I asked you to bring your HD800 is because they don't carry Sennheiser products

Okay can.

Thanks for the tips.

Will probably bring down the headphones, my iPod, the iCan and a few CDs when I'm ready

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #15,352 of 28,989
  Update on my problem with bass distortion.  It has been fixed!!! Turns out it was a problem with winamp (I had a bass enhancer plugin enabled which was distorting the signal) , I changed and tried some tracks with foobar2000 and no bass distortion!!! Phew, thank god I don't have to go through the rigmarole of a warranty claim now.  Once again, thanks for all your support.  Back to enjoying my HD800s..

lol well its a good thing you read my earlier post then.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #15,356 of 28,989
  - Schiit Valhalla2 seems like obvious recommendation.

Sorry my friend

I don't really like tubes - find tubes add a bit too much color to the classical music.

Have tried 3 different tube amps including Audionote and Line Magnetic with speakers and headphones - still don't like the tube sound even if it comes from a respected brand like Audionote UK

Disclaimer: If possible, please let me know which genre of music you listen to so that I can understand the context of your recommendations 

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #15,358 of 28,989

Sorry my friend

I don't really like tubes - find tubes add a bit too much color to the classical music.

Have tried 3 different tube amps including Audionote and Line Magnetic with speakers and headphones - still don't like the tube sound even if it comes from a respected brand like Audionote UK

Disclaimer: If possible, please let me know which genre of music you listen to so that I can understand the context of your recommendations 

I was considering classical/orchestral as your preference.
I haven't actually heard the Schiit amp, but for 350$ and what has been said about it, i wouldn't hesitate to buy one for myself, if i haven't got the HDVA600 already. From what i have read, the Valhalla 2 is ~nearly as good as the HDVA600, at the same time surely a bit different, too. Apparently its not the typical OTL syrupy tube amp sound. More like good sounding ss, so i have read by trusted ears.

Other recommendations: If you want to end your journey in the solid state world, go stright to the Schiit Ragnarok, that is what i plan to do if my wallet fattens up.
   HDVA600 is a good choice, esp used. Smooth, silky sound, definently lets all the brightness come through from source side. First time i heard HD800 is capable of world class bass, and realistic vocals. I think its fairly neutral too, easy to differentiate sources.

I wouldn't:
The original Lehman BCL is nothing special in my experience, dull, grainy and light note weight at the same time, not a good choice for orchestral piecies. If its clones are anything like it, then i would avoid, sure the op-amps can be rolled and caps removed, etc.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #15,359 of 28,989
Haven't heard it with HD 800, but I would probably get the Project Polaris from Garage1217, if I were looking for a cheap SS amp.
Lots of power and tweaking opportunities with adjustable gain, bandwidth and output impedance.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #15,360 of 28,989
For classical especially I really liked the corda jazz from Jan Meier. Great clarity and detail. Great dynamics. Nice extension. The corda classic is maybe better but more expensive. A friend of mine will sell his classic because he bought a bottlehead crack. PM if interested.

The cross feed feature does wonders for some old jazz recordings too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back