The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #15,316 of 28,989
Nov 23, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #15,317 of 28,989

Can someone post his impression of the HD800 driven by the Chord Hugo, please?

Thanks.

Short summary... nice, but very pricy.  Longer... posted some observations on the chord hugo forum.  If you search for HD800 on the chord hugo thread, or for hugo on this thread you will find numerous posts.

--Mark

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #15,318 of 28,989

Short summary... nice, but very pricy.  Longer... posted some observations on the chord hugo forum.  If you search for HD800 on the chord hugo thread, or for hugo on this thread you will find numerous posts.

--Mark

Thanks, Mark!  

GSX mkII.  That's on my upgrade path as well.  

Looks like I won't be using the HD800 with the Chord Hugo.  Nevertheless, I'll be trying out that pairing this week.  

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #15,319 of 28,989
  Hi there, I bought my Sennheiser HD800s about a week ago and up till now everything was fine, but the last day or so the bass has started to distort and buzz/fuzz when it hits certain lower frequencies.   Do you think I could return the product under warranty for repair?  It's making certain tracks I listen to unlistenable.  Is bass distortion covered under warranty?  I'm sorely dissapointed seeing as I've ownly owned them for 1 week.  Any advice appreciated, thank you.  I'm worried that the driver has blown.

My suggestion to you would be to make haste before to much time passes and demand a new replacement pair from the retailer (assuming you bought them new and from a retail environment).

Don't let to much time pass you need to act quickly otherwise the retailer may opt to blame you for the damage, thus trying to weasel out of honoring any form of proper customer service.....leaving you to wait for 4 weeks while Sennheiser repairs your HD-800.

At only a week old let the retailer sort it out with Sennheiser while you enjoy your new pair (that they have supplied you with).  Don't settle for anything less than a replacement BNIB pair.

Good luck hope you get it taken care of.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #15,320 of 28,989
  How well does the Schiit combo Gungnir and Mjolnir work with the HD800? Balanced cables, of course.

Not the best by far..

+1. Only tried the Mj with a Yulong DAC (haven't hear the Gung). I just tried it for a couple of mins & couldn't be bothered to listen more as it didn't sound that great .If you want a more detailed description can try them together again.Initially I was going to mention it sounded horrible, but then I was comparing them to the sound of HD800 from My custom  Glenn OTL & Cavali Liquid Glass. It might sound bearable to you depending on your taste & what amp you are coming from.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #15,321 of 28,989
One more naysayer to the G/M combo for the HD 800. In general, the SQ sounds a bit strident at times. I have not heard the Ragnarok but I've read that as a SS amp, it drives the 800 very well but talk to others that do. In general my tube amp tend to do better with the 800 with the Zana Deux the best among my lot. The Vali performs very capably. Try the Anax mod as well.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #15,322 of 28,989
As my sig line indicates I have a Mojo amp being driven by a PWD mkII into my modified 800's.

And I just acquired The Rok (which I'm listening to right now).

The Rok will take more hrs. but thus far it is somewhat better than my modded Mojo amp.

Which suggests to me that when I apply the same mods to The Rok, it should leap ahead.

But the pairing of my modded 800's to these amps is actually quite enthralling.

Just a single indication of these pairings can be hinted at by these specs…
Mojo's power bandwidth is 2Hz-400KHz
The Rok's power bandwidth is 2Hz-180KHz 
HD-800 freq response is 5Hz - 50KHz  

JJ  
atsmile.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #15,323 of 28,989

Thanks.

I've received a Hugo for testing purpose last saturday. Tried yesterday as a dac/amp. The worst point is the soundstage with an obvious lack of center/focus and a serious lack of depth. Very Left/Right.  Overally a bit lean sound with treble glare too. Bass department seems OK to my ears though.  I wouldn't advice the Hugo as a good dac/amp for HD800.

Didn't tried the Hugo as a standalone DAC associated with the LP G103 or my Sonett 2 yet. Will compare it to my Metrum Octave mkI and My Beresford Caïman mkII.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #15,325 of 28,989
  As my sig line indicates I have a Mojo amp being driven by a PWD mkII into my modified 800's.

And I just acquired The Rok (which I'm listening to right now).

The Rok will take more hrs. but thus far it is somewhat better than my modded Mojo amp.

Which suggests to me that when I apply the same mods to The Rok, it should leap ahead.

But the pairing of my modded 800's to these amps is actually quite enthralling.

Just a single indication of these pairings can be hinted at by these specs…
Mojo's power bandwidth is 2Hz-400KHz
The Rok's power bandwidth is 2Hz-180KHz 
HD-800 freq response is 5Hz - 50KHz  

JJ  
atsmile.gif

What kind of mods did you do to your Mojo and PWD mkII?

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #15,326 of 28,989
I've received a Hugo for testing purpose last saturday. Tried yesterday as a dac/amp. The worst point is the soundstage with an obvious lack of center/focus and a serious lack of depth. Very Left/Right.  Overally a bit lean sound with treble glare too. Bass department seems OK to my ears though.  I wouldn't advice the Hugo as a good dac/amp for HD800.

Didn't tried the Hugo as a standalone DAC associated with the LP G103 or my Sonett 2 yet. Will compare it to my Metrum Octave mkI and My Beresford Caïman mkII.

Thank you, Sorrodje.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #15,327 of 28,989
Rather simple ones.

Changed out the fuses and added WA-Q chips to the new fuses (Synergistic Quantum fuses).

The beauty part is the chips are $7.50 each (and are returnable if undamaged) and the fuses can also be returned if they don't help.

So it’s a 'fairly' cheap experiment to see if these help at all, or not.

For me, in my system, the difference was immediate, obvious, and only improved with time.

JJ

Quote:

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #15,328 of 28,989
  Rather simple ones.

Changed out the fuses and added WA-Q chips to the new fuses (Synergistic Quantum fuses).

The beauty part is the chips are $7.50 each (and are returnable if undamaged) and the fuses can also be returned if they don't help.

So it’s a 'fairly' cheap experiment to see if these help at all, or not.

For me, in my system, the difference was immediate, obvious, and only improved with time.

JJ

Quote:

beerchug.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #15,329 of 28,989

Thanks.

I had the Chord Hugo/HD800 combo for over a month. I loved it and wrote a review which you can find in my sig. 
The HD800's sounded excellent with the Hugo. The detail was better than anything I had heard before. 

I really liked it. Didnt find the treble a problem apart from a few tracks. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #15,330 of 28,989
I had the Chord Hugo/HD800 combo for over a month. I loved it and wrote a review which you can find in my sig. 
The HD800's sounded excellent with the Hugo. The detail was better than anything I had heard before. 
I really liked it. Didnt find the treble a problem apart from a few tracks. 

Thank you, sir. Hugo + HD800 seems to be a tandem that engenders love or hate. There seems to be no middle ground.

Shall I draw from this a conjectural proposition that people who have respectable home rigs are those that do not, in general, like the HD800 driven by the Chord Hugo?

Oh, I shall hear for myself tomorrow this pairing. I have borrowed my uncle's HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back