The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #15,286 of 28,989
Hi there, I bought my Sennheiser HD800s about a week ago and up till now everything was fine, but the last day or so the bass has started to distort and buzz/fuzz when it hits certain lower frequencies.   Do you think I could return the product under warranty for repair?  It's making certain tracks I listen to unlistenable.  Is bass distortion covered under warranty?  I'm sorely dissapointed seeing as I've ownly owned them for 1 week.  Any advice appreciated, thank you.  I'm worried that the driver has blown.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #15,287 of 28,989
  Hi there, I bought my Sennheiser HD800s about a week ago and up till now everything was fine, but the last day or so the bass has started to distort and buzz/fuzz when it hits certain lower frequencies.   Do you think I could return the product under warranty for repair?  It's making certain tracks I listen to unlistenable.  Is bass distortion covered under warranty?  I'm sorely dissapointed seeing as I've ownly owned them for 1 week.  Any advice appreciated, thank you.  I'm worried that the driver has blown.

What is the rest of your setup? What audio format is the music you listen to?

A very revealing headphone like this could elicit "problems" in the sound chain you weren't aware before. 

Of course, there could actually be an issue with the headphones, but you should try to make sure if it's not something else upstream.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #15,288 of 28,989

Are you using a tube amp? It could be your tubes starting to manifest some microphonics.

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #15,290 of 28,989
  What is the rest of your setup? What audio format is the music you listen to?

A very revealing headphone like this could elicit "problems" in the sound chain you weren't aware before. 

Of course, there could actually be an issue with the headphones, but you should try to make sure if it's not something else upstream.

I'm running a Matrix M-Stage solid state amp using lossless FLAC files.  3 or 4 days ago I was playing certain tracks without the bass distortion I am now getting.

Are you using a tube amp? It could be your tubes starting to manifest some microphonics.

I plan on upgrading to tubes eventually, but currently all I use is solid state amps.

Thanks for your quick response.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #15,291 of 28,989
@dynarec what is your DAC btw? The Matrix is a good head amp for the Senn and shouldn't be the issue assuming it's working properly. 

Have you tried unplugging the cables? Maybe one of the connectors is not properly seated?

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #15,292 of 28,989
Or have you managed to remove the pads and take a look inside the cups?

I've had the issue you're talking about with my K501 that I bought NOS. It went away with burn in. It has more severe with the left cup... but it went away within the first week of use. I left them playing music non stop for a few days. It's all good now!

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #15,293 of 28,989

Try this one too : it's maybe even better :  James Blake - Overgrown :

Thanks for this one by the way. It also sounds great with other cans 
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #15,294 of 28,989

Play some sines and check the actual frequencies. Does it get louder the lower you go? Is it a constant rattle or irregular buzz? Could simply be a hair that's entered the driver..

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/subwoofer.html

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #15,295 of 28,989
  @dynarec what is your DAC btw? The Matrix is a good head amp for the Senn and shouldn't be the issue assuming it's working properly. 

Have you tried unplugging the cables? Maybe one of the connectors is not properly seated?

I've tried what you suggested by unplugging the cables and it's the same result unfortunately.
My DAC is  a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 external sound card.  Works fine to the best of my knowledge.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #15,296 of 28,989
  Or have you managed to remove the pads and take a look inside the cups?

I've had the issue you're talking about with my K501 that I bought NOS. It went away with burn in. It has more severe with the left cup... but it went away within the first week of use. I left them playing music non stop for a few days. It's all good now!

I might try this thanks xaval.  Maybe its a hair on the driver or something I don't know.

Play some sines and check the actual frequencies. Does it get louder the lower you go? Is it a constant rattle or irregular buzz? Could simply be a hair that's entered the driver..

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/subwoofer.html

thanks for the link hekeli, its more like a constant rattle and fuzzy boomy tone everytime a certain bassline or bass kick starts up.  As stated earlier it wasnt a problem on certain tracks a couple of days ago but now it is a problem on the same tracks.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #15,297 of 28,989
I would also try a different source with same tracks if you can.  If it turns out to be the headphones then you can look into options for getting them replaced or warrantied.

Do you have the ability to just take them back to where you got them and exchange for a new set?  Would be faster than a warranty claim and the dealer would be the one dealing with Sennheiser (less hassle for you) and you would have a new set in the mean time.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #15,298 of 28,989
  I would also try a different source with same tracks if you can.  If it turns out to be the headphones then you can look into options for getting them replaced or warrantied.

Do you have the ability to just take them back to where you got them and exchange for a new set?  Would be faster than a warranty claim and the dealer would be the one dealing with Sennheiser (less hassle for you) and you would have a new set in the mean time.

Thanks for advice bearFNF, I will try from a different source and if that doesn't fix the problem I will have to think about warranty/returning options.   I bought them online at Hifigear UK, who are based in Heresford, which is miles away from where I am .  A courier service could be an option though.
I'd just like to thank all you people for trying to help me out, I really appreciate it .  Love this site.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #15,300 of 28,989

I need to revisit the HD800's when I demoed a pair with he Hugo they were new out of box and sounded bright/thin, how many hours do they need to settle down and produce their best, I have heard it can take a while?

It can take a while to burn-in. I don't think the HD800 sounds bright or thin in comparison to other studio / reference headphones. Some studio headphones are even brighter than the HD800. But if you like a dark / warm sound, the "bright & thinness" goes away if you dial in some bass with an EQ. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back