The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #14,581 of 28,989
I'm really loving the HD800s (when it all works), but also hating it too. When the track is right, it is so so good, like the best thing I've ever heard. But when its bad, its really really bad, like I can't even listen for even 1 minute of the song. I hope the Master 9 can make me like more of my music, because at the moment it's quite limited to well recorded tracks and/or 24 bit stuff.

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #14,582 of 28,989

I found the biggest SQ improvement in this lol

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #14,583 of 28,989
  I'm really loving the HD800s (when it all works), but also hating it too. When the track is right, it is so so good, like the best thing I've ever heard. But when its bad, its really really bad, like I can't even listen for even 1 minute of the song. I hope the Master 9 can make me like more of my music, because at the moment it's quite limited to well recorded tracks and/or 24 bit stuff.

What makes you think that any amp will rectify what has been screwed up at the recording or the mastering level ?
The detail retrieval with the HD800 is so good that is just lays bare what it wrong in certain sources. If it's 16, 24 or 32 bits doesn't really make it any better or worse for that matter. The 2L label (Norway) are producing state art SQ recordings (repertoire is a matter of taste). There is a statement from their rec. engineer, that the set up and choice of microphones is much more important than everything else down stream. I guess they do know what they are talking about
wink.gif

But of course let us know how it works out for you and your favorite music.

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #14,584 of 28,989

What makes you think that any amp will rectify what has been screwed up at the recording or the mastering level ?
The detail retrieval with the HD800 is so good that is just lays bare what it wrong in certain sources. If it's 16, 24 or 32 bits doesn't really make it any better or worse for that matter. The 2L label (Norway) are producing state art SQ recordings (repertoire is a matter of taste). There is a statement from their rec. engineer, that the set up and choice of microphones is much more important than everything else down stream. I guess they do know what they are talking about
wink.gif

[size=12.7272720336914px]Maybe an amp won't rectifiy the tracks that have been F'ed up at the recording/mastering, but I am finding ATM that quite a few tracks that are better with the higher bit rate tracks. I actually never noticed before because I think cans weren't up to scratch to hear anything else. I didn't think these cans will be so resolving TBH. I've downloaded a few tracks that are 16 bit and 24 bit and couldn't tell a difference previously, but with the HD800s I "think" I feel less ear bleeding, could be just placebo.[/size]

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #14,586 of 28,989

wink.gif

But if what you say is true then the number tracks that I enjoy won't increase and will be limited to those few tracks that sound good with the HD800s and there is no point in upgrading my amp. Wo is me 

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #14,587 of 28,989

I found the biggest SQ improvement in this lol

Oh, wow... great minds think alike!

I found the same thing... only difference was that mine was a wine BOTTLE, not a wine glass, and I had Emptied it before listening.  Oh, even the worst of tracks then sound so much better!

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #14,588 of 28,989
  But if what you say is true then the number tracks that I enjoy won't increase and will be limited to those few tracks that sound good with the HD800s and there is no point in upgrading my amp. Wo is me 

I'm feeling that, too. Getting too analytical again. LOL

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #14,589 of 28,989

It's arrived. Just checking it works. I already hear improvements, wow

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #14,591 of 28,989
<snip>

Congrats spur... Beautiful amp. Looking forward to hearing your impression of it once you've had more time on it.
My HD800 arrived today. What a stunning headphone. Now I just need my Norne Vanquish cable and CSP3 to arrive...

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #14,592 of 28,989
Not really an impression but wowsers is this what the HD800s are supposed to sound like? Just listening to the Daft Punk track on RAM, Giorgio (3rd track). I never really noticed before, but you can clearly hear that they're interviewing him in some sort of cafe, there is chatter that you can make out some words that the people around him are saying and I also I hear some clinking of glasses. Its just so detailed, refined, yet also so smooth at the same time. OK I'm going to listen more now. So excited.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #14,593 of 28,989

It looks to me like you`ve neglected your day`s tasks and  unboxed the amp right there in the office.  

I see we`re like-minded.  

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #14,594 of 28,989

It looks to me like you`ve neglected your day`s tasks and  unboxed the amp right there in the office.  

I see we`re like-minded.  

Yes, I had to check that it works. Like you said I can't do much now, I've lost all my concentration for work

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #14,595 of 28,989
Wow. These headphones are freaking amazing!!! I'm only running them through my Parasound zdac for now, but they sound sooooooo good. Can't wait to hear them on a real amp.
I see what everyone is saying by them being revealing. So many little nuances I was missing in the music. Playing a little Depeche Mode at the moment 
L3000.gif
 I'm floored :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back