The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #13,726 of 28,989
  Hey guys,

I just ordered a Bryston BHA-1. So, that means I'm broke. But it also means I have a lot to be excited about!

If you've heard the setup, what do you guys think I should expect? Is there anything I should know :)?

Does this count as a fairly end-game setup?

Thanks! 

End game means something different to everyone. It's basically a point at which you are satisfied with the sound enough to stop searching for better. Only you can tell if the BHA-1 does this for you. Chances are it will, at least for a while...
If you are looking for peers approval of your purchase then I guess you got it 
beerchug.gif

Not that it should matter much...

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #13,727 of 28,989
Hey guys,

I just ordered a Bryston BHA-1. So, that means I'm broke. But it also means I have a lot to be excited about!

If you've heard the setup, what do you guys think I should expect? Is there anything I should know :)?

Thanks! 

Hope you knew that bryston is not a real end to end balanced amp.

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #13,730 of 28,989
o2smile.gif
Quote:
  Hey guys,

Thanks!

I thought I had my end-game system at least 4 or 5 times. False alarm!   
o2smile.gif

I finally understood that it’s all about the Journey, not the Destination (Ralph Waldo Emerson , paraphrased).

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #13,731 of 28,989
Thanks Max!

I really can't visualize your version of the mod, but it sounds like you've got only Creatology foam on the metal ring and only the white carpet liner on the mesh, right?

:xf_eek:

Mike

I will then post a pic..

HD800 anax2.0 moded without all the creatology foam which alters the soundstage, rather only on the metal ring of driver..
White carpet liner is used without stock black felt which dampen sound when using both..

Going balanced into HA1 with Cardas cable..

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #13,733 of 28,989
I think I have finally made my mind up about which new amp I want for my HD800.

I think I am going to go with Glenns OTL with some added extras  
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #13,734 of 28,989
  I think I have finally made my mind up about which new amp I want for my HD800.

I think I am going to go with Glenns OTL with some added extras  
biggrin.gif

Great call! Congrats and enjoy.

beerchug.gif

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #13,735 of 28,989
After years of using a pair of HD580s I got the bug to upgrade. Listened to HD650s, LCD2 and3s, TH900s and HD800s. I found a open box pair of HD800s in perfect shape, with warranty, for 20% off, so I took the plunge. I mostly listen to classical music and these seemed the best for that genre.

After a couple days listening I think they are a keeper. I don't hear any of the sibilance but do understand where the comments about brightness come from. Many recordings are a bit hot and the HD800s just pass that along. While they don't image anything like speakers, the sense of space is one of the most appealing qualities of these cans. That, plus the amazing detail.

Before I ended up with Linkwitz Orion speakers I had several pairs of Thiels so I guess you could say I appreciate clean, detailed sound above all else. The bass of the HD800s does not really stop you in your tracks but it sounds crisp, clear and truthful.

Now, I guess I have to sell my HD580s and old AKG K340s!

Tim

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #13,736 of 28,989
  After years of using a pair of HD580s I got the bug to upgrade. Listened to HD650s, LCD2 and3s, TH900s and HD800s. I found a open box pair of HD800s in perfect shape, with warranty, for 20% off, so I took the plunge. I mostly listen to classical music and these seemed the best for that genre.

After a couple days listening I think they are a keeper. I don't hear any of the sibilance but do understand where the comments about brightness come from. Many recordings are a bit hot and the HD800s just pass that along. While they don't image anything like speakers, the sense of space is one of the most appealing qualities of these cans. That, plus the amazing detail.

Before I ended up with Linkwitz Orion speakers I had several pairs of Thiels so I guess you could say I appreciate clean, detailed sound above all else. The bass of the HD800s does not really stop you in your tracks but it sounds crisp, clear and truthful.

Now, I guess I have to sell my HD580s and old AKG K340s!

Tim

Congrats & Welcome here :)

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #13,738 of 28,989
Sep 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #13,739 of 28,989

Hope you knew that doesn't matter as much as you think it does.

lol.

Actually, 4 channel balanced may have more cons than pros.  There are 2 channel "balanced" designs like the mainline and DNA amps that are not bridged or differential/push-pull.  These amps use the full circuit whether you are running them balanced or se and, in fact, they avoid the downsides of bridged and differential designs - which give you more power and slew rate, but subject to double the component cost, higher noise, higher distortion (except common mode), and higher output impedance/worse damping.  [Elias Gwinn - an engineer at benchmark discusses this here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/223006/benchmark-dac1-now-available-with-usb/1305#post_3827917)

As others have shared in the past in this thread, DNA has a very nice concise explanation of how center tapped output transformers can be used to achieve a balanced signal without these negatives: 

Some comments about balanced headphone drive
I am frequently asked why the balanced output version does not include balanced inputs. This is because balanced inputs are not necessary to provide balanced headphone drive. Being a single ended amplifier, all it needs for input is a single ended (unbalanced) signal. The Sonett operates single ended triode with transformer loading the plate of the 6H30 amplification tube. The secondary windings on the output transformers are center tapped (and grounded for safety), thereby providing a true, differential, balanced output. Thus, you get balanced drive without the complexity from additional balanced input circuitry or input transformers. Again, the simpler - the better.

The myth that "true balanced" (by which, most refer to bal-in/bal-out, 4 channel, push-pull) is somehow "better" for all headphones, irrespective of their actual power needs, simply isn't true.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #13,740 of 28,989
@skeptic : Did your compare balanced and SE mode on your Mainline. I haven't a XLR terminated cable ( I hope having it soon ) so I didn't try Sonett Balanced mode yet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back