The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #13,756 of 28,992
  mac>spotify(320kbps)>cheap usb cable>dac1 usb>HD800 (unmodified). all with standard/cheap power cords. stick a fork in me . I'm done! :)

Didn't you have the ODAC/O2 combo? Why are you then using the DAC1 when they measure the same?

Nah I'm just kidding with you!
biggrin.gif
 I went from the O2 combo to DAC1 myself! Then I got a HD800. I thought like you that I was done for good (like the good and scientific objectivist that I was!) Then I LOL'd at the Vali hype that was going on. "They are so st000pid, omg tubes measure badder then my equipment." Well then I was gonna prove them wrong, so I ordered the Vali and was going to send it back the day after I got it! "OMG it has ringing! This thing is BAD and I should feel bad for even trying to listening to it!"

I was already getting the package to send it back when I started listening to it. I wish I could say that I had an ephiphany, but I didn't. What I did however, was sitting up all night listening to all my music, and couldn't get enough. And I didn't understand. Then I tried AB blind testing with the DAC1 HP out, with help from a friend. I could tell them from eachother every time, and each time I preferred the Vali. I didn't know right there why that was, but I can tell you now: it was because the Vali reproduced music in a more accurate and natural way. I am not good with words about how things sound. But I am a drummer, and I know how a kickdrum or floor toms should sound in real life. The Vali got that more right then the HP out from DAC1. Easy as that.

Long story short, I gave up my absolute objectivism and instead now embrace sceptisism. I am starting to build up trust against some ears, and while that can change over time the best way to find out if you like something is to listen to stuff yourself.
I am really happy now with my rig, and you should be to! The real star of the show is still the HD800. And even if it can sound different depending on what gear used, it's still sound like a HD800. 

I dare you to try the Vali. It's cheap and you can send it back. The only real downside is that you might like it. 
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #13,757 of 28,992
+1 Bleak ! great post.

Maybe , a long time ago it was harder and far more expensive to test amps and dacs by ourselves. Now, we "only" ( that's still a lot o money indeed , don't get me wrong) have to spend  one or two hundred dollars to buy some very well regarded gear . It's easier than ever to test at home.

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #13,758 of 28,992

Didn't you have the ODAC/O2 combo? Why are you then using the DAC1 when they measure the same?

biggrin.gif
 I went from the O2 combo to DAC1 myself! Then I got a HD800. I thought like you that I was done for good (like the good and scientific objectivist that I was!) Then I LOL'd at the Vali hype that was going on. "They are so st000pid, omg tubes measure badder then my equipment." Well then I was gonna prove them wrong, so I ordered the Vali and was going to send it back the day after I got it! "OMG it has ringing! This thing is BAD and I should feel bad for even trying to listening to it!"

I was already getting the package to send it back when I started listening to it. I wish I could say that I had an ephiphany, but I didn't. What I did however, was sitting up all night listening to all my music, and couldn't get enough. And I didn't understand. Then I tried AB blind testing with the DAC1 HP out, with help from a friend. I could tell them from eachother every time, and each time I preferred the Vali. I didn't know right there why that was, but I can tell you now: it was because the Vali reproduced music in a more accurate and natural way. I am not good with words about how things sound. But I am a drummer, and I know how a kickdrum or floor toms should sound in real life. The Vali got that more right then the HP out from DAC1. Easy as that.

Long story short, I gave up my absolute objectivism and instead now embrace sceptisism. I am starting to build up trust against some ears, and while that can change over time the best way to find out if you like something is to listen to stuff yourself.
I am really happy now with my rig, and you should be to! The real star of the show is still the HD800. And even if it can sound different depending on what gear used, it's still sound like a HD800. 

I dare you to try the Vali. It's cheap and you can send it back. The only real downside is that you might like it. 
wink.gif

Very nicely put. I bought it, 1 month of listening and put it away for almost 5 months. Purrin's views on the match with the 800 prodded me to give it the proverbial retry. Long story short, its the only amp I use for the 800 now. I have other tube amps as well but the little tyke is just a wonderful amp. As far as the HPs themselves are concerned, I find spending much less time with the orthos and its almost splitsville between the HD 800 and the Stax.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #13,759 of 28,992
Sep 12, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #13,761 of 28,992
@BleaK

and

@kothganesh

You've both made compelling posts here! Thanks for your insights.

Is your HD800 modded or stock?

Thanks!

Mike

Nah I'm just kidding with you! :D  I went from the O2 combo to DAC1 myself! Then I got a HD800. I thought like you that I was done for good (like the good and scientific objectivist that I was!) Then I LOL'd at the Vali hype that was going on. "They are so st000pid, omg tubes measure badder then my equipment." Well then I was gonna prove them wrong, so I ordered the Vali and was going to send it back the day after I got it! "OMG it has ringing! This thing is BAD and I should feel bad for even trying to listening to it!"

I dare you to try the Vali. It's cheap and you can send it back. The only real downside is that you might like it. :wink:  

Very nicely put. I bought it, 1 month of listening and put it away for almost 5 months. Purrin's views on the match with the 800 prodded me to give it the proverbial retry. Long story short, its the only amp I use for the 800 now. I have other tube amps as well but the little tyke is just a wonderful amp. As far as the HPs themselves are concerned, I find spending much less time with the orthos and its almost splitsville between the HD 800 and the Stax.

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #13,764 of 28,992
  +1. I'm reading up on the Anax mod...give me some time 
wink.gif

Watch Tyl's video - it makes it very clear what is necessary.  The materials are cheap, so you can buy extra and 'practice', i.e., you can throw away the first set you make if they suck....  
biggrin.gif

Make sure you have a sharp blade and a good surface to cut on - a "cutting board" for mat cutting works well.  Buy extra blades and use a fresh one for each ear and you should be fine.  The mod is easily reversable, and it is probably very hard to actually harm the 800s in the process....

Give it a try!

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #13,765 of 28,992

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Hahaha, welcome to audio voodoo. 
biggrin.gif

On a side note, i saw that you have Questyle CMA800R.  How would you compare the Vali to Questyle CMA800R driving your HD800?

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #13,766 of 28,992

Watch Tyl's video - it makes it very clear what is necessary.  The materials are cheap, so you can buy extra and 'practice', i.e., you can throw away the first set you make if they suck....  
biggrin.gif
  Give it a try!

I did try both side by side. I preferred the Stock. The Anax mod "veiled" the treble a bit for me / was a bit too organic.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #13,767 of 28,992

Hahaha, welcome to audio voodoo. 
biggrin.gif

On a side note, i saw that you have Questyle CMA800R.  How would you compare the Vali to Questyle CMA800R driving your HD800?

The Vali is fun and has great tonality, but it lacks somewhat in resolution, soundstage og layering (look mah, I'm using audiophile buzzwords!). The CMA800R fills in all that with a smooth top end while still being fun in the low registry. If I were to use an analogy it would be a photo. An instragram filtering looks great, are fun and covers bad spots, but if you want the whole picture with all the details, colors like it is (and flaws), you get the point... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #13,768 of 28,992
The Vali is fun and has grat tonality, but it lacks somewhat in resolution, soundstage og layering (look mah, I'm using audiophile buzzwords!). The CMA800R fills in all that with a smooth top end while still being fun in the low registry. If I were to use an analogy it would be a photo. An instragram filtering looks great, are fun and covers bad spots, but if you want the whole picture with all the details, colors like it is (and flaws), you get the point...  :)

+1

I had the Questyle with HD800 and I can't think of a better word than Bleak described it, like an open window to the music or showing all the strengths And muscle hd800 are capable of.
If you love everything about HD800 you will love the Questyle :)

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #13,769 of 28,992
  From what I've read, it is a bit bright and is near the top. Not quite "end game", but what is? 

Nope, tis not bright - the recording is, if it is... And I'm afraid that they are indeed 'end game' if you want a transparent headphone. :D

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #13,770 of 28,992
  I did try both side by side. I preferred the Stock. The Anax mod "veiled" the treble a bit for me / was a bit too organic.

I thought I was replying to someone else - my aplogies if I did it incorrectly.  I was mostly commenting on trying to fabricate the parts - and not trying the sound, per se, althought they do go hand in hand.

I did mine, and much prefer it to the stock soound, but it is defintiely a choice, a preference....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back