The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #13,772 of 29,010
I was talking about the BHA-1 for the HD800.

aaahh ignore me, I'm just trying to keep up with the thread.  

I contribute with a bit of nonsense every now and then... 
biggrin.gif

(If you plug your HD800 into a vintage NAD amplifier- you won't need to be on here as much. This is what happened to me!. :wink: 

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #13,773 of 29,010
  When I get the DNA Stratus I can add in some like 

Fiio E11 

Schiit Vali / Modi

Graham Slee Ultra Linear

Woo WA2 + tubes 

DNA Stratus + tubes 

I'll give the percentages when I get it

Are you thinking of getting a new amp?

It was your original post about selling T1 (I know how much HP's mean to you), and selling off the WA2 to amp for the HD800 I totally get it.  The HD800 opens up so much with source/DAC/Amp, and as much as I like the T1, the HD800 are just better.

Not bad, just a bit time consuming.  No individual step is any harder than what is required to build up a crack + speedball (whcih is to say, basic ability to solder, through-hole solder and to carefully follow step by step directions), there are just a lot more components and connections to make.

I wouldn't recommend it as a first diy project just because it would likely feel overwhelming, but it probably would still be doable.  Watching a youtube video on through-hole, and building a cheapie O2 board as a warm up (a $40 exercise), would give you all the skills you need though.  Necessary tools for the mainline, IMO, are a decent temperature controlled soldering station, rosin core eutectic solder, auto wire strippers (Ideal 16-26awg are good), and a multimeter.

I can solder and have the equipment so how does it compare with some of the higher end amps (DNA)?

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #13,774 of 29,010

Watch Tyl's video - it makes it very clear what is necessary.  The materials are cheap, so you can buy extra and 'practice', i.e., you can throw away the first set you make if they suck....  
biggrin.gif

Make sure you have a sharp blade and a good surface to cut on - a "cutting board" for mat cutting works well.  Buy extra blades and use a fresh one for each ear and you should be fine.  The mod is easily reversable, and it is probably very hard to actually harm the 800s in the process....

Give it a try!

Thank you. I will give it a shot.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #13,776 of 29,010
  How big soundstage does Questyle cma 800r have?

I don't think that is something that can be mathematically measured..

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #13,780 of 29,010
Sep 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #13,783 of 29,010
Me too. I auditioned LCD-3, LCD-X and HD800 for a day in a store with several live CD's of my own music (rock, alternate, post-punk). I went in there fully expecting to come out with the LCD-3, or possibly LCD-X. No, HD800 won hands down. LCD-3 and X were dark, claustrophobic, poor dynamics and transients, poor imaging/soundstage. Need I go on?

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #13,784 of 29,010
  Me too. I auditioned LCD-3, LCD-X and HD800 for a day in a store with several live CD's of my own music (rock, alternate, post-punk). I went in there fully expecting to come out with the LCD-3, or possibly LCD-X. No, HD800 won hands down. LCD-3 and X were dark, claustrophobic, poor dynamics and transients, poor imaging/soundstage. Need I go on?

You left out ridiculously heavy and uncomfortable.   

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #13,785 of 29,010
Yes. The comfort factor is massively different. But I would tolerate the discomfort for a gain in sound quality. I should also point out that the recordings I listened to when I auditioned all the cans were my own live concert recordings. So I knew what to expect in terms of live sound reproduction. The HD800 was easily the better compared to either of the Audeze. The drum hits were so realistic. The bass was impressively deep, as was the Audeze but with a sheen of mud on top. Of course the soundstage width and depth were also massively different. All the differentials made it an easy decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back