The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #13,801 of 29,013
Have only had the chance to test out my Sennheiser HD800s with the Asus Essence One USB DAC that I own, but I can attest that the sound seems amazingly detailed and the clarity is second to none. Mids are very well defined, soundstage is big and airy, and the bass, which is widely acclaimed to be somewhat of a weak aspect of the Sennheiser HD800 signature, is extremely tight and punchy, when dictated by the specific piece itself.

I specifically tested the bass on some Hardstyle pieces that I really enjoy, and hardstyle is surely a style that incorporates a tight and pumping bassline.

Vocals are angelic. Absolutely adore the combination, and I haven't even swapped the default cable for an aftermarket one just yet.

I bet I would enjoy the Muses version of the DAC even more, but I will probably be able to afford that one a bit later in the future.

I Would love to listen to that Asus HD800 pairing, even innerfidelity think it's a supreme match and it looks solid built to, unlike schiit gear.
I doubt that there will be much difference between the standard and muses edition thou.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #13,802 of 29,013
I Would love to listen to that Asus HD800 pairing, even innerfidelity think it's a supreme match and it looks solid built to, unlike schiit gear.
I doubt that there will be much difference between the standard and muses edition thou.

Schiit Audio gear is solidly built, so what gear does not look solid too you.. My friends Gungnir, is solidly built as is his uber bifrost, so please site me an example of a Schiit Audio product, that is not solidly built, especially compared to the Asus HD 800.. Further, Schiit Audio's Ragnarok amp is a very solid 30 pounds and according to Jude's review one the head-fi's Summer Buying Guide, the HD800 sounds really good with Ragnarok, in balanced mode.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #13,803 of 29,013
We'll I had Mjolnir/Gungnir for about 14days until I returned it to the seller.

There where scratches it the metal plates of the brand new amp and dac and the volume knot just feels loose and flimsy as the few buttons.
Biggest disappointment in audio gear by far, lookes like a joke next to the Questyle amp.

I really don't care about what Jude says of the overpriced Ragnarok, I am done with schiit gear.

Back on topic please, I find It very interesting reading impressions on new HD800 owners.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #13,804 of 29,013
Sounds like a rare case of bad QC to me....I've had Magni, Modi, Gungnir and Mjölnir and all of them came in topnotch condition. A loose and flimsy volume knot is indeed very weird. Oh and of course, who cares about the sound :wink:

But to be fair, Gungnir/Mjölnir combo doesn't really sound optimal with the HD800 anyways..........

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #13,805 of 29,013
Sounds like a rare case of bad QC to me....I've had Magni, Modi, Gungnir and Mjölnir and all of them came in topnotch condition. A loose and flimsy volume knot is indeed very weird. Oh and of course, who cares about the sound :wink:

But to be fair, Gungnir/Mjölnir combo doesn't really sound optimal with the HD800 anyways..........

Yes I agree, I would never use the gungnir/ mjolnir to run the HD800.

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #13,807 of 29,013
Thanks for details impressions.

One note thought, maybe consider a upgrade instead of a side grade in the amp department.
Try to audition Questyle cma800r and other high quality amps before opening the wallet
wink.gif

How do you know it's a side grade? Have you heard Vallhalla2, if so how does it compares to CMA800?

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #13,809 of 29,013
  Me too. I auditioned LCD-3, LCD-X and HD800 for a day in a store with several live CD's of my own music (rock, alternate, post-punk). I went in there fully expecting to come out with the LCD-3, or possibly LCD-X. No, HD800 won hands down. LCD-3 and X were dark, claustrophobic, poor dynamics and transients, poor imaging/soundstage. Need I go on?

+1, very small sound stage for Aud's, I moved on.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #13,810 of 29,013

One note thought, maybe consider a upgrade instead of a side grade in the amp department.

Try to audition Questyle cma800r and other high quality amps before opening the wallet
wink.gif

I'll definitely be looking into other options when the time comes. However, considering the fact that I was only able to afford (well not afford, but justify the price of to myself) the HD800 because I bought it used at an amazing price, I'm not sure I'll be able to throw down the cost of a brand new HD800 on an amp for it. The Questyle does look like a very nice amp, though.

One thing that had me looking at the Valhalla 2 was Purrin's very positive impressions of it with the HD800, calling it something along the lines of a "mini Eddie Current amp".

Regardless, I'm going to be doing a lot more research over the next month or two. :)

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #13,811 of 29,013

wink.gif

I'll definitely be looking into other options when the time comes. However, considering the fact that I was only able to afford (well not afford, but justify the price of to myself) the HD800 because I bought it used at an amazing price, I'm not sure I'll be able to throw down the cost of a brand new HD800 on an amp for it. The Questyle does look like a very nice amp, though.

One thing that had me looking at the Valhalla 2 was Purrin's very positive impressions of it with the HD800, calling it something along the lines of a "mini Eddie Current amp".

Regardless, I'm going to be doing a lot more research over the next month or two.
smily_headphones1.gif

i use a alo studio six with decware csp3 preamp on my hd800 and it sounds great , im telling u i tried a valhalla 2 and it is an excellent amp for the hd800  and for the price - oh schiit.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #13,812 of 29,013

wink.gif

Regardless, I'm going to be doing a lot more research over the next month or two.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I were You, I would consider to try another dac before changing the amp.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #13,813 of 29,013
We'll everything with valves is a side grade compering it to SS, IMO.

Perhaps you should try hearing some gears before dismissing them all. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #13,814 of 29,013

If I were You, I would consider to try another dac before changing the amp.

I was thinking about that, I'll most likely make a thread to discuss the merit of upgrading amp vs. DAC first at some point in the near future. I'm more of the opinion that all you need is an audibly transparent DAC, but I'm not 100% of that opinion. I'll most likely weigh opinions and experiences, then make a final decision.

Off topic, but is anyone else having problems with the text editor/post box? Everything is showing up in raw HTML.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back