The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #13,816 of 29,013

If I were You, I would consider to try another dac before changing the amp.

I was thinking about that, I'll most likely make a thread to discuss the merit of upgrading amp vs. DAC first at some point in the near future. I'm more of the opinion that all you need is an audibly transparent DAC, but I'm not 100% of that opinion. I'll most likely weigh opinions and experiences, then make a final decision.

Off topic, but is anyone else having problems with the text editor/post box? Everything is showing up in raw HTML.

it's relatively easy and unexpensive to test different moderately priced but good dacs. F/S forums are your best friend (and the best enemy of your wallet).  Make you own opinion instead of opening an endless thread.
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #13,817 of 29,013
We'll I listen to a lot of different gear, doesn't matter because one opinion usually gets misunderstood in here,
Even if one has good intentions.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #13,818 of 29,013

it's relatively easy and unexpensive to test different moderately priced but good dacs. F/S forums are your best friend (and the best enemy of your wallet).  Make you own opinion instead of opening an endless thread.
tongue.gif

I'm a grad student, money is tight and I'm unfortunately not in a position where I can use money liberally. Buying a few $400-$600 DACs to test and compare is unfortunately not something I'll have the pleasure of doing for awhile, even just affording the Bifrost Uber is going to be something I have to work towards, unfortunately. It's funny, I always recommend ears-on comparisons of gear to everyone who will listen while at the same time not having the pleasure of doing it myself with the exception of the rare Head-Fi meet. :)

Of course, my opinions and preferences will have a strong influence on the final decision I make. I'm fairly opinionated when it comes to audio, but only when it comes to gear that I personally buy.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #13,820 of 29,013
Pick one could be anything, people are always skeptical and takes it way to personal if you come with a honest opinion of some over hyped gear.

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #13,821 of 29,013
Can anyone tell how big soundstage does valhalla 2 have? I read some reviews and I remember they said it was not very big and sound was more in your face. Is that true? Can anyone describe more closely how it sounds on hd800?

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #13,825 of 29,013

tongue.gif

I'm a grad student, money is tight and I'm unfortunately not in a position where I can use money liberally. Buying a few $400-$600 DACs to test and compare is unfortunately not something I'll have the pleasure of doing for awhile, even just affording the Bifrost Uber is going to be something I have to work towards, unfortunately. It's funny, I always recommend ears-on comparisons of gear to everyone who will listen while at the same time not having the pleasure of doing it myself with the exception of the rare Head-Fi meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, my opinions and preferences will have a strong influence on the final decision I make. I'm fairly opinionated when it comes to audio, but only when it comes to gear that I personally buy.

No need to spend 300 ou 400$ .. There're many options at lower prince.  try an good old audioGD NFB12 for example but a very cheap modi seems to be well regarded and it's really cheap.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #13,826 of 29,013
  Can anyone tell how big soundstage does valhalla 2 have? I read some reviews and I remember they said it was not very big and sound was more in your face. Is that true? Can anyone describe more closely how it sounds on hd800?

I've only had the V2 since last Friday, so it doesn't have much burn-in time if that makes a difference.  I'm also using stock tubes, so tube rolling may make a difference.  But I'm finding the width of the soundstage to be just ok.  Not very much depth either.  Certainly a very "inside the head" rather than an enveloping, 3D or holographic experience.  It also seems somewhat "in your face" - more equivalent to sitting in the front row rather than a few rows back.  I'm curious to see what kind of changes will occur with burn-in and other tubes.

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #13,827 of 29,013
  I wrote a review of the Chord Hugo recently, anyone looking for a good all in one solution for HD800 might be interested. I thought the synergy with HD800 was amazing.  ¬ 

http://headphone.guru/chord-electronics-hugo/

I personally find the Hugo/HD800 pairing somewhat too bright for my tastes.  Unfortunately It becomes fatiguing for me very quickly.

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #13,828 of 29,013

No need to spend 300 ou 400$ .. There're many options at lower prince.  try an good old audioGD NFB12 for example but a very cheap modi seems to be well regarded and it's really cheap.

Yes, but I doubt an NFB12 or a Modi will provide a substantial and very noticeable upgrade over the ODAC. The $300-$400 is for DACs that would be considered decent upgrades from what I already have. I'm not looking for different flavors and types of colorations in my DAC. That's what my amp, headphones, and EQ is for.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #13,829 of 29,013

I've only had the V2 since last Friday, so it doesn't have much burn-in time if that makes a difference.  I'm also using stock tubes, so tube rolling may make a difference.  But I'm finding the width of the soundstage to be just ok.  Not very much depth either.  Certainly a very "inside the head" rather than an enveloping, 3D or holographic experience.  It also seems somewhat "in your face" - more equivalent to sitting in the front row rather than a few rows back.  I'm curious to see what kind of changes will occur with burn-in and other tubes.

Thanks for the info. Let me know if the sound changes substantially after burn-in.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #13,830 of 29,013
After a fair bit of digging around and trying / owning a few high end headphones, I decided to have a demo of the HD800 on my day off and took my Chord Hugo along for the ride.

First impressions were - wow! Space, detail, textures, depth, deep bass. I had better first impressions than I did with the Stax 009 system I borrowed last week. Absolutely love them, and they're so comfortable and light, not to mention being portable around the house with the Hugo, unlike the 009. 

I didn't take long to make up my mind, I bought them on the spot. I still love my Stax 507 / 323s combo for the desk, but the HD800s are amazing. Very happy indeed!

Whilst I tried a demo pair, my pair at home haven't even settled in yet and they already sound fantastic. 

As posted in another thread recently, my experiences of other good headphones are as follows:

- Audeze LCD X were a bit too foggy and dark, and were also too heavy and uncomfortable. They were like head clamps! Very smooth sounding though. Nice mids, great bass and well made. 
- Grado GS1000i were just too bright sounding, but were very light and reasonably comfy.
- My current Grado RS1i are quite good, although a little on the bright side. Cute little 'phones though, and great for casual use with the iPad. 
- Also own some Stax 507 / 323s and they're are absolutely amazing. There's something about them I preferred to the 009 / 007tii Kimik, as posted in the Stax thread. I will be keeping the 507 system, but the HD800 have certainly taken a firm place next to them. 

I'm pleased to join the club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back