The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #13,786 of 29,010
I picked up a used pair of the HD800's a few weeks back and have been glued to them ever since; I'm so utterly impressed with these headphones. I think they may be the first high-end headphone I've owned that doesn't have any kind of downside or drawback, they're really the full package, and it seems like Sennheiser put tons of thought into just about every aspect of these headphones.

The ergonomics are excellent, probably the best of any headphone I've ever tried. They have big earcups, which are very welcome, there is no contact with my ears whatsoever. They're extremely light but still rigid, which is a huge help when it comes to comfort, and the clamp is just perfect. And most importantly, they've created an absolutely excellent headband design. I frequently hate on the poor headband design of a lot of (most) headphones, and Sennheiser has really nailed it with this headband. With the exception of the inset in the middle of the headband (to reduce pressure on the tip top of your head, which is the most sensitive area), the entire headband makes full and even contact on my head. This is very important for distributing weight properly, which substantially helps with comfort. No stupid bumps, no small contact area, and no inadequate padding. They don't disappear on my head quite like the appallingly light Koss ESP-950 'stats, but they provide an extremely comfortable experience with no hot spots, no headaches, and no obvious pressure. I have to give huge props to Sennheiser for nailing just about every aspect of headphone ergonomics, when you lay down over a grand on a high-end headphone, you deserve a headphone that is comfortable enough to enjoy for hours, not just tolerate.
Also, I think the headband adjustment mechanism is super clever, and the fact that the headband (and all fabric parts) can be easily removed for cleaning is just a nice bonus.

Their sound is easily just as impressive as their ergonomics. I did need to make some changes to the frequency response to dial it in for my needs, but I do that with pretty much every headphone. I increased the subbass to be a bit above flat (instead of the gentle curve down they usually have), and reduced the treble spike. With the exception of those small necessary frequency response changes I really love every other aspect of the sound of these headphones.
Their detail is absolutely incredible, and is something you need to hear to believe. I thought I knew what detail was, I didn't. I did have a decent amount of on-ear time with the HD800 before buying my pair, but I never really noticed how much of a detail monster these headphones were until I had the pleasure of living with them. The detail is slightly exaggerated from what is realistic, though (smaller details are more obvious), but I personally enjoy that, it makes things a little more exciting and fun.
On top of the detail, the soundstage, imaging, and separation are excellent, of course. The soundstage size isn't mindblowing, but it is a headphone and it's the best I've ever heard in a headphone so I have to give props for that. The separation I think is the most impressive aspect of the three IMO. Everything sounds wonderfully distinct.
The decay is a little short of natural, but it adds to the separation, detail, and texture of the headphone. I prefer it this way personally.
They perform exceedingly well in complicated sections of music. Because of their short decay, excellent separation, and great detail ability, they passed my "complicated music" test ("The Bridgeport Run" by The Flashbulb) with flying colors, a test that has thus far only been passed by 'stats and high end planar headphones. Personally, I think the HD800's may have surpassed every other headphone I've tested in this test. I don't own all the headphones I've tested, so I can't do a side by side to confirm, however.
The texture is just wonderful, I'm a huge texture nut and these have texture throughout the frequency range. Most headphones have texture in one part of the spectrum (bass, mids, or treble), and a few have texture in two of the three. The HD800's are incredibly tactile throughout and I absolutely love it.

I'm actually very surprised people consider these to be clinical sounding, I don't really hear it (though the FR changes may have changed the tone of the headphone). I also don't think they're unforgiving of sources or music mastering quality. Sure, better sources and better mastered music sounds better, but that's true of pretty much any good headphone. My Thiels are unforgiving, if the music isn't excellently well mastered, they're not that amazing, but with really well mastered music they're a completely different beast. I don't feel as though the HD800's are that way (personally).

At the moment, I'm using an ODAC>M-Stage combo on them. My next upgrade will most likely be a Valhalla 2, then a Bifrost Uber.

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #13,787 of 29,010
  Picking up my HD800 tomorrow morning..

Excited to be joining the club!

beerchug.gif

Nice! Not too bassy though. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #13,788 of 29,010
Maxx134,

My thanks to you and several other people for encouraging me to try the HD800 mod with the OPPO HA-1. I am thrilled with the results!

FiiO X5 Coaxial Out > HA-1 balanced out > modded HD800

Radiohead's Everything In It's Right Place has never sounded better to my ears and it's a great track for testing treble performance. :wink:

Similarly, Daft Punk's Tron Legacy (End Titles) has precisely the right amount of treble energy for my tastes - with all the speed and control of the HA-1 DAC and amp! So clean and separated - instead of the wall of sound heard with lesser solid state gear, but no annoying treble, either! And the brass section of the following track, Finale, is wonderfully textured and "real."

Florence and the Machine's Cosmic Love and Gerald Albright's Bobo's Groove are exhibiting dynamics with the HA-1 > modded HD800 that I just couldn't get with affordable tube amps (with no loss of resolution). The sax and trumpets in Bobo's Groove are right there in front of me - with lots of texture but zero etch. Cymbals have a beautiful decay. Seriously goof stuff!

I was concerned that the mod would hurt the HD800's soundstage by attenuating those low level signals that do so much for defining the space, but Alice in Chains Down in a Hole , Cowboy Junkies' Mining For Gold and Gypsy King's Love and Liberté all sound uncompromised in this regard - with the HD800's treble energy pulled down, the micro-echoes are still doing their thing.

The speed and resolution are still there, without the HD800's annoying edginess and the HA-1 is delivering more forward mids, better dynamics, and tighter bass control that I just wasn't getting with the Schitt Vali or Valhalla 2.

No tube amps necessary!

I'm using balanced Toxic Cables Silver Poison from the HA-1's 4-Pin XLR jack. The intrinsic brightness of the silver cable might explain why, for my tastes, at least, I ended up going with rug liner sandwiched to 1mm thick Creatology foam, after several hours of tedious fussing.

Before insertion:

After:

The HA-1 is now my favorite amp for the PM-1 (balanced OPPO cable with PM-2 pads), the LCD-2 rev.1 (with balanced Silver Poison)... AND the HD800 (modded, with balanced Silver Poison) - one DAC/amp for all three headphones! (That's a big deal for me.)

For the record, the HD800 still doesn't have the wonderful bass of the LCD-2 or the forgiving, organic nature of the PM-1, but they can't touch the resolution and soundstage of the HD800, either (nor comfort).

As much as I'm gushing about the modded HD800 (so happy to get the treble turned down), my LCD-2 rev.1 is still the headphone I would keep if I had to sell all but one - and the HA-1 is my favorite amp for the LCD-2.

:)

Mike

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #13,789 of 29,010
Just got my HD800's a few weeks ago. Amazing piece of gear. Never been a huge headphone guy, but these things offer something special.

I used to be mainly into 2-channel speakers for most of my audio enjoyment, but decided to get a more serious headphone rig when in smaller rooms or for night listening. Went to a local shop and tried out the LCD 2/3's, Alpha Dog and HD800's. I could appreciate the strengths of each headphone, but the HD800's had qualities that every other headphone I've tried just didn't have. Wide open sound, speed/detail that just comes through so effortlessly, plus a balanced tone, for my tastes. Also most comfortable, by far. I actually quite liked the Alpha Dog as well for a closed headphone and it would be nice for a travelling option where a open headphone just wouldn't be suitable, although bass wasn't as defined and seemed slightly excessive. Scooped the HD800's and been rocking through my music collection extensively ever since. Offers some of the qualities I love from a 2-channel speaker system but in a headphone environment.

A note for people having issues with the tonal balance or treble edge of the HD800, I've found a few things to consider. Note I never really thought they were especially bright on my setup, but there were things that increased the performance of these. Running mine stock, S/N 306XX.

1. Treble edge/slight graininess can come from your source (among other things). Not really unique to the HD800, but worth mentioning since the HD800 tells you how it is. Switching from a pretty standard PC (USB -> NAD M51) to a Sonore Rendu (CAT6 -> SPDIF -> NAD M51) was a large and noticeable difference. No need for minutes of listening to notice any differences, they were right up front. With the Rendu, transient attacks were sharper, more focused, had less grain on cymbals etc, and the treble presentation is crystal clear. Transient attacks even more realistic sounding. Music just locks into focus and the tonal balance is amazing. Same experience I have had with my 2-channel speaker rig in the past, but really noticed all the details with the HD800. There's many ways to increase the quality of your source (streamers, USB isolation, SPDIF converters etc.), just try to experiment and don't be quick to blame the speaker/headphone at first.

2. Changing out the stock HD800 cable. Very nice out of the box, but there's more room for performance here. Similar to different cables on a speaker system. Getting a balanced amp in the next month or so, so I went with a balanced cable and a XLR -> 1/4 TRS adapter, so I could use balanced and unbalanced amps with the same cable. Went for a WyWires RED cable since all my other cables for my other rigs are WyWires. Biggest changes I found from going from stock to aftermarket: Bass notes have more variation to them and aren't as 1-noted, same with mid-bass. Both are more full and have more presence. There's more punch/impact to the music. Treble is still fully extended but sounds more natural and musical textures come through beautifully.

Really loving this headphone and can't wait to get a balanced amp to kick things up again. Currently running an Asgard 2, but thinking about Ragnarok or Taurus MKII - both seem like great options. Not a fan of tube amps.

Anyway, back to the music! Running through the Blade Runner soundtrack and it's engaging as it has ever been. When the first track kicks in at around the 1 minute mark, it's lift-off baby.

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #13,790 of 29,010
I picked up a used pair of the HD800's a few weeks back and have been glued to them ever since; I'm so utterly impressed with these headphones. I think they may be the first high-end headphone I've owned that doesn't have any kind of downside or drawback, they're really the full package, and it seems like Sennheiser put tons of thought into just about every aspect of these headphones.

The ergonomics are excellent, probably the best of any headphone I've ever tried. They have big earcups, which are very welcome, there is no contact with my ears whatsoever. They're extremely light but still rigid, which is a huge help when it comes to comfort, and the clamp is just perfect. And most importantly, they've created an absolutely excellent headband design. I frequently hate on the poor headband design of a lot of (most) headphones, and Sennheiser has really nailed it with this headband. With the exception of the inset in the middle of the headband (to reduce pressure on the tip top of your head, which is the most sensitive area), the entire headband makes full and even contact on my head. This is very important for distributing weight properly, which substantially helps with comfort. No stupid bumps, no small contact area, and no inadequate padding. They don't disappear on my head quite like the appallingly light Koss ESP-950 'stats, but they provide an extremely comfortable experience with no hot spots, no headaches, and no obvious pressure. I have to give huge props to Sennheiser for nailing just about every aspect of headphone ergonomics, when you lay down over a grand on a high-end headphone, you deserve a headphone that is comfortable enough to enjoy for hours, not just tolerate.
Also, I think the headband adjustment mechanism is super clever, and the fact that the headband (and all fabric parts) can be easily removed for cleaning is just a nice bonus.

Their sound is easily just as impressive as their ergonomics. I did need to make some changes to the frequency response to dial it in for my needs, but I do that with pretty much every headphone. I increased the subbass to be a bit above flat (instead of the gentle curve down they usually have), and reduced the treble spike. With the exception of those small necessary frequency response changes I really love every other aspect of the sound of these headphones.
Their detail is absolutely incredible, and is something you need to hear to believe. I thought I knew what detail was, I didn't. I did have a decent amount of on-ear time with the HD800 before buying my pair, but I never really noticed how much of a detail monster these headphones were until I had the pleasure of living with them. The detail is slightly exaggerated from what is realistic, though (smaller details are more obvious), but I personally enjoy that, it makes things a little more exciting and fun.
On top of the detail, the soundstage, imaging, and separation are excellent, of course. The soundstage size isn't mindblowing, but it is a headphone and it's the best I've ever heard in a headphone so I have to give props for that. The separation I think is the most impressive aspect of the three IMO. Everything sounds wonderfully distinct.
The decay is a little short of natural, but it adds to the separation, detail, and texture of the headphone. I prefer it this way personally.
They perform exceedingly well in complicated sections of music. Because of their short decay, excellent separation, and great detail ability, they passed my "complicated music" test ("The Bridgeport Run" by The Flashbulb) with flying colors, a test that has thus far only been passed by 'stats and high end planar headphones. Personally, I think the HD800's may have surpassed every other headphone I've tested in this test. I don't own all the headphones I've tested, so I can't do a side by side to confirm, however.
The texture is just wonderful, I'm a huge texture nut and these have texture throughout the frequency range. Most headphones have texture in one part of the spectrum (bass, mids, or treble), and a few have texture in two of the three. The HD800's are incredibly tactile throughout and I absolutely love it.

I'm actually very surprised people consider these to be clinical sounding, I don't really hear it (though the FR changes may have changed the tone of the headphone). I also don't think they're unforgiving of sources or music mastering quality. Sure, better sources and better mastered music sounds better, but that's true of pretty much any good headphone. My Thiels are unforgiving, if the music isn't excellently well mastered, they're not that amazing, but with really well mastered music they're a completely different beast. I don't feel as though the HD800's are that way (personally).

At the moment, I'm using an ODAC>M-Stage combo on them. My next upgrade will most likely be a Valhalla 2, then a Bifrost Uber.

Nice! Did you buy the pair on craigslist that were priced really cheap?

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #13,791 of 29,010
Nice! Did you buy the pair on craigslist that were priced really cheap?

Yes I did! :D
I'm so glad I came across that ad, I knew I would someday have to get the HD800 after listening to it at the Philly meet, and I had just recently sold my LCD-2's to get some work-related gear. It would have been some time before I could have afforded (or justified) an HD800, and was actually the first time I searched "Sennheiser" on craigslist. I was looking for a good headphone to go with tube amps (which I wanted to get into). It was just in time, too, since I moved down to Savannah, Georgia less than a week later.
The padding is a bit flat and they had a bit of a chemical smell (sitting in the box for too long), but after a bit of cleaning and airing out they're in great shape and I'm enjoying the crap out of them! They're a pretty early model, in the late 6000's, but there's nothing that's making me wish for a newer model.

I may break down and get new pads at some point, though.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #13,792 of 29,010
Hey Taowolf, when you say you "dial in" changes to the FR, are you using software or hardware to do so?

Two hours left until I pick up my HD800.. Excitement is growing!

I'll be using the following to amp them:

La Figaro 339:

Matrix Mini-i PRO DSD:

Anyone have experience with either of these two and the HD800?

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #13,793 of 29,010
Hey Taowolf, when you say you "dial in" changes to the FR, are you using software or hardware to do so?

Software, Equalizer APO to be specific. It allows me to be a little more specific in my changes and allows me to play around and dial it in much faster than I would be able to do with hardware. When it comes to hardware, I focus more on non-FR aspects such as decay, detail, texture, etc. rather than FR simply because they are much harder to change and dial in with software than FR is (if possible at all). If FR changes are needed I do them by software, but only if necessary.
Of course, I still choose amps that pair well with whatever headphones I'm powering.

It's really important to use a good EQ. A bad EQ sounds oh-so-horrible (distortion), but a good quality EQ is an incredible tool.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #13,795 of 29,010
Nice Jag XF mate 
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #13,798 of 29,010
Nice!

Tell us how you find it. 

Just picked up a D5000, it complements the HD800 so well. Complete opposites. 

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #13,799 of 29,010

Thanks for details impressions.

One note thought, maybe consider a upgrade instead of a side grade in the amp department.
Try to audition Questyle cma800r and other high quality amps before opening the wallet :wink:

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #13,800 of 29,010
Have only had the chance to test out my Sennheiser HD800s with the Asus Essence One USB DAC that I own, but I can attest that the sound seems amazingly detailed and the clarity is second to none. Mids are very well defined, soundstage is big and airy, and the bass, which is widely acclaimed to be somewhat of a weak aspect of the Sennheiser HD800 signature, is extremely tight and punchy, when dictated by the specific piece itself.

I specifically tested the bass on some Hardstyle pieces that I really enjoy, and hardstyle is surely a style that incorporates a tight and pumping bassline.

Vocals are angelic. Absolutely adore the combination, and I haven't even swapped the default cable for an aftermarket one just yet.

I bet I would enjoy the Muses version of the DAC even more, but I will probably be able to afford that one a bit later in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back